Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

Just now, kshoe said:

As for Mikey Lewis, he wanted to go to SLU originally, was told no by Crews, went to Duquesne where he kicked our arse, then he wasn't allowed to transfer within the conference so he tried to white wash it with a stint in Colorado St. He's not exactly a good example for your "teach the kids a lesson" mantra for local kids that want to transfer back to SLU.

Nevada. His college career really ended oddly, certainly hope things end up well for him.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Slu let the dogs out? said:

My brother was saying he should transfer to St. John's and play for Mike Anderson.

Mizzou was never a good fit for him. He is a supreme run and jump athlete that needs to play in a system that allows him to do just that. So that 40 minutes of hell style would certainly make sense. Let him be that and hope the rest of his game rounds out, but at the very least he can be productive in that type of system.

12 minutes ago, kshoe said:

It's 2020 and you are talking about transfers from the 80s. I'm getting old and I was like 7 years old when those happened. Come on man!

From our college days, there were Jamal Johnson and Evan Pedersen.  Of course, that's barely more recent than the '80s.

52 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I have no idea.  But even if it's true, I saw Kevin Lisch body slam Dustin Maguire during a practice.  Practice can get heated.

Yes. That is why I said it likely was the tipping point. I’m sure after being “bumped” by French players might tend to push back a little. It’s a physical game. 

Here is more from BenFred:

There's a lot of chatter that I'm not going to put out there without confirmation that it's true.
He's going to get his chance to tell his side of it.
So will Martin and Mizzou, likely after tonight's game.
There has been talk going back a while that he was disgruntled and considering leaving.
He made a Facebook post after his suspension was announced that complained about Mizzou having so many guards. Paraphrasing here, but he said he felt misled.
Martin is playing so many guys this season, it's hard to believe McKinney didn't have a fair shake to get minutes if he was doing the right things in practice. He didn't seem all that interested in defense in his limited playing time, and he looked for his shot as soon as he entered off the bench. That's not a great way to carve out more time.

3 minutes ago, Slowry said:

If he’s a 55-60% free throw shooter he’ll fit in perfect.

speaking of, theres a player who just announced today he was transferring from Holy cross.  42% from 3, 50%FT.  Thats what we want. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

He's not a point guard.  He and Jacobs have very similar skill sets.  Jacobs is the better shooter, McKinney is more aggressive.  If I were McKinney, I'd go to Tulsa or Illinois St. and play my game.

I'd prefer we limit our local scholarships to players we have minutes for.

Good idea, 3 Star...Illinois State has a good track record of taking in malcontents with loads of talent who want to “play my game” Instead of the team’s game...then get suspended & kicked off the team.

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

speaking of, theres a player who just announced today he was transferring from Holy cross.  42% from 3, 50%FT.  Thats what we want. 

Yep, averaging 14 ppg as a freshman. From Ann Arbor Michigan, so who knows.

36 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Mizzou was never a good fit for him. He is a supreme run and jump athlete that needs to play in a system that allows him to do just that. So that 40 minutes of hell style would certainly make sense. Let him be that and hope the rest of his game rounds out, but at the very least he can be productive in that type of system.

Is the fit for Mario similar to the way JGood plays for SLU, kind of a point forward?   JGood gets a lot of his points in the paint and I think playing the point guard position is not a good fit for him.

If Mario is that kind of player and if he is willing to wait for JGood to graduate then he might be worth the last scholarship.

21 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Is the fit for Mario similar to the way JGood plays for SLU, kind of a point forward?   JGood gets a lot of his points in the paint and I think playing the point guard position is not a good fit for him.

If Mario is that kind of player and if he is willing to wait for JGood to graduate then he might be worth the last scholarship.

-how many JGoods have you seen? I would be surprised if the answer is something other than one

cgeldmacher likes this

We will have a strong team next year.  Our greatest area of need and the area that would suffer most with an injury, is forward.  We also have minutes available for the right guy, next year and more the following. Right now, French and Bell are our only bigs who are playing. 

Earlier, pistol suggested a Rob Lowe type would be the ideal recruit to fill the last spot. 

A suspended 6,2 guard who is unhappy competing with Mizzou guards and will have to sit a year, is not a player that helps us.

RiseAndGrind and SLU_Lax like this

2 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

We will have a strong team next year.  Our greatest area of need and the area that would suffer most with an injury, is forward.  We also have minutes available for the right guy, next year and more the following. Right now, French and Bell are our only bigs who are playing. 

Earlier, pistol suggested a Rob Lowe type would be the ideal recruit to fill the last spot. 

A suspended 6,2 guard who is unhappy competing with Mizzou guards and will have to sit a year, is not a player that helps us.

I don’t disagree with this. Hopefully we can land that big We need 

17 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

He wouldn't be eligible next year though?

1 minute ago, Coach314 said:

From what I have heard the suspension didn't come from a punch.  There had been other incidents before this last one and they had decided it was best to move on.  Yes,  Mario felt a little misled by what the Coaches told him before he committed but he said he was going to ride it out.  @CBFanMario is similar in style to Goodwin but at the Combo guard position.  Not a great shooter but can hit spot up 3s and has a knack for hitting big shots in big moments.  High level athlete.  Doesn't have the size to bang on the block like Goodwin but he plays all out.  And there is interest from SLU.  I share my concerns like others with the makeup of the team as is but if Rio had to sit out next yr I like the move.  Yuri + Hargrove +Rio on a fast break would be special.  But...there might also be a Grad Transfer big available next year as well 🤐

need some more deets on this one coach 

10 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

From what I have heard the suspension didn't come from a punch.  There had been other incidents before this last one and they had decided it was best to move on.  Yes,  Mario felt a little misled by what the Coaches told him before he committed but he said he was going to ride it out.  @CBFanMario is similar in style to Goodwin but at the Combo guard position.  Not a great shooter but can hit spot up 3s and has a knack for hitting big shots in big moments.  High level athlete.  Doesn't have the size to bang on the block like Goodwin but he plays all out.  And there is interest from SLU.  I share my concerns like others with the makeup of the team as is but if Rio had to sit out next yr I like the move.  Yuri + Hargrove +Rio on a fast break would be special.  But...there might also be a Grad Transfer big available next year as well 🤐

Hey Coach, Tulsa is giving major minutes to junior Darien Jackson, a 6'2 attacking combo guard.  He'd be gone by the time Mario is eligible.  Just a thought.  If Coach Ford is able to land a sweet shooting combo guard in the 2021 class, Mario would be in the same position here he just left.

4 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

Yea Ford should make sure he knows what happens and with his son on the team, I am sure he does.  Just reading the PD article on it, very odd things looked to be happening.  I am not a big fan of people saying things on social media instead of trying to keep them in the locker room. 

How do you not know there were other guards on the team you committed to? Can't imagine this helps Martin recruit St. Louis when he was already missing out on the top kids anyways.  

Link

His kid plays there. I’m sure he knows everything