Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

Yea Ford should make sure he knows what happens and with his son on the team, I am sure he does.  Just reading the PD article on it, very odd things looked to be happening.  I am not a big fan of people saying things on social media instead of trying to keep them in the locker room. 

How do you not know there were other guards on the team you committed to? Can't imagine this helps Martin recruit St. Louis when he was already missing out on the top kids anyways.  

Link

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Exceptions to every rule -- but at some point, we need to establish a reality -- SLU will not always be there if your out of town adventure does not work out for you.  If guy are good students, good teammates and good players, usually they don't transfer...

I agree with that. 

But it seems Jimmy's scenario was slightly different. He didn't pick Mizzou thinking it was this big basketball school, he grew up watching his cousin there. 

Just now, Bills_06 said:

Yea Ford should make sure he knows what happens and with his son on the team, I am sure he does.  Just reading the PD article on it, very odd things looked to be happening.  I am not a big fan of people saying things on social media instead of trying to keep them in the locker room. 

This is where Jgood completely won me over.  And he actually had a good reason to get on social media and blast people.

44 minutes ago, wgstl said:

not sure where to put this but Mario McKinney is transferring out of mizzou.  Undisclosed reasons behind his team suspension, but a local kid. 

I heard he pulled a Carte'are and punched teammate but still just a rumor at this point

18 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Can he back up Yuri?

He's not a point guard.  He and Jacobs have very similar skill sets.  Jacobs is the better shooter, McKinney is more aggressive.  If I were McKinney, I'd go to Tulsa or Illinois St. and play my game.

I'd prefer we limit our local scholarships to players we have minutes for.

SLU_Nick, SLU_Lax and willie like this

13 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Exceptions to every rule -- but at some point, we need to establish a reality -- SLU will not always be there if your out of town adventure does not work out for you.  If guy are good students, good teammates and good players, usually they don't transfer...

All due respect but I feel like this is a straw-man argument. SLU is not always there for local kids who transfer. In fact, I can’t even think of an example of a local kid who transferred back. I don’t think there’s anyone inside the program or out who thinks that SLU swill automatically be waiting with open arms if a kid wants to transfer back.

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I heard he pulled a Carte'are and punched teammate but still just a rumor at this point

not saying its ok, but hes the smallest player on that team, but a lot.

25 minutes ago, wgstl said:

this is where I am.  I watched a lot of his games his senior year and I was upset we weren't getting him. he was electric.

He would have to sit out next year, so jgood would be gone 😪 and thatch as of now would be a senior along with jacobs, and Yuri a junior.  Whats Strickland, a wing?

Strickland can play the 2 or the 3.

We could make a list of player.  From your own high school, there was Ted Mimlitz who did not get along with Norm Stewart.   Also, Jim Roder from DeSmet transferred from K State.   Every local kid who quits or leaves school is immediately talked about on this Board.    Most recently, the Chaminade kid who went 2 other place and then then decided not to play for us this year.

Personally, I question how smart he really is if he chose Cuonzo Martin as his head coach over every other program interested in him.  I know nothing about Mr. McKinney and his academic... but Cuonzo???

10 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

We could make a list of player.  From your own high school, there was Ted Mimlitz who did not get along with Norm Stewart.   Also, Jim Roder from DeSmet transferred from K State.   Every local kid who quits or leaves school is immediately talked about on this Board.    Most recently, the Chaminade kid who went 2 other place and then then decided not to play for us this year.

Personally, I question how smart he really is if he chose Cuonzo Martin as his head coach over every other program interested in him.  I know nothing about Mr. McKinney and his academic... but Cuonzo???

I'm okay taking any local transfer who is for sure going to contribute.  The important thing is making certain they'll be successful after transferring in.  I have no idea if that would the case for McKinney, but our staff should.  I imagine a local player leaving whatever Big State U, transferring to SLU, and then having success would be a pretty big boost to local recruiting.  You would have a concrete example of why going to Big State U isn't a good option and you can have more success at SLU.

The message isn't "you can go to Big State U and SLU will always be a fallback option if it doesn't work out".  It is "look at this kid who wasted a year or two at Big State U before being successful at SLU, you should just go to SLU in the first place and not waste a year or years".

Crewsorlose and Zink like this

23 minutes ago, NH said:

All due respect but I feel like this is a straw-man argument. SLU is not always there for local kids who transfer. In fact, I can’t even think of an example of a local kid who transferred back. I don’t think there’s anyone inside the program or out who thinks that SLU swill automatically be waiting with open arms if a kid wants to transfer back.

Back in the Grawer years we had several transfer backs but that was a long time ago. 

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

I have no idea.  But even if it's true, I saw Kevin Lisch body slam Dustin Maguire during a practice.  Practice can get heated.

ya but im getting a feeling this wasn't just two guys going at it and competing in practice..its probably more of a Gordon scenario 

Depends on the reasons for transferring. The chemistry of this team seems to be the best I ever seen it in a long time, I don't want to spoil that with someone who has anger issues or a malcontent. .

Different sport, Joe Burrow is perfect reason transfers can turn out spectacular.

1 hour ago, NH said:

He’s talented enough to play at SLU but unless we had to a really good reason to believe that the suspension wasn’t a real issue, I’d rather use the scholarship elsewhere.

Coach Ford would likely have a pretty good idea whether Mario would be worth taking a look at beyond pure basketball ability with his son playing for mizzou. Not being the biggest fan of Mario as a player, I will trust the coaching staff on their decision in pursuing or not pursuing Mario since it would certainly be well informed.

CBFan likes this

3 minutes ago, slusam said:

We can't take a mid year transfer. No scholarship available

since its mid January, doesn't he have to sit out all of next year anyway? He could wait a few months. 

9 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I would stay away from the Mario train as I don't think he fits the system we play, he is better suited in a 40 minutes of hell system, in our system he is not the shooter we need,  is not a pg, I am not a taker on this one

He was transitioning to PG at Mizzou. However I don't think he fits a need, IMO.

46 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

It's 2020 and you are talking about transfers from the 80s. I'm getting old and I was like 7 years old when those happened. Come on man!

As for Mikey Lewis, he wanted to go to SLU originally, was told no by Crews, went to Duquesne where he kicked our arse, then he wasn't allowed to transfer within the conference so he tried to white wash it with a stint in Colorado St. He's not exactly a good example for your "teach the kids a lesson" mantra for local kids that want to transfer back to SLU.

RUBillsFan likes this

14 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I would stay away from the Mario train as I don't think he fits the system we play, he is better suited in a 40 minutes of hell system, in our system he is not the shooter we need,  is not a pg, I am not a taker on this one

My brother was saying he should transfer to St. John's and play for Mike Anderson (and Van Macon).

Such an odd hire for St. John's.