Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Abou Ousmane - PF/C, 6-9, 225 - Brooklyn, NY (Scotland Campus, PA) - AAU: PSA Cardinals (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @IamAbouOusmane
Offers: Saint Louis, Fordham, Georgetown, Toledo, Cleveland State, South Dakota, Fairfield, Bryant.

Interest: VCU, St. Bonaventure, Seton Hall, Providence, St. John's, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Pittsburgh, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Texas A&M, Georgia, Connecticut, Temple, Tulsa, East Carolina, Princeton, SIU-Carbondale, Indiana State, Charlotte, Ohio, Kent State, Northern Kentucky, Youngstown State, Holy Cross, William & Mary, Little Rock, Coastal Carolina, McNeese State, Niagara, Marist, Saint Peter's, Hampton, Stetson, Coppin State, Florida A&M.

Latest News: Ousmane received an offer from SLU. (12/4/19)

Scouting Report: Ousmane is a big, long, strong frontcourt player with good two-way ability. He runs the floor like a 4 but plays the half court like a 5. He's crafty with his back to the basket, using a variety of post moves to get looks - spins, drop-steps, etc. He favors his right but can finish with either hand with a nice hook shot. He's got touch out to mid-range and finishes strong in transition. He's a solid rebounder and shot blocker, and has surprising passing ability out of the high or low post for his size and age. He also creates a lot of steals on the defensive end. He had originally committed to Cleveland State out of Putnam Science Academy (he had the choice of going 2019 or 2020 and it was a 2019 commitment) but decommitted after CSU's coaching change and took a prep year at Scotland Campus. He started his HS career at Roberson in Brooklyn.

-A lot of reports call him "old school" or "unsexy" or "90s NBA center style" to give you an idea of his game. He says of himself "I'm a throwback big who uses controlled violence to score down low and get rebounds. I would say I try to play like Al Jefferson and a right-handed Zach Randolph". He's got a wide range of interest and has shown a ton of improvement in the past 1-2 years. We offered at the right time. Fordham and Toledo were the last two to offer before us; his other offers are from before his CSU commitment.

meerkat likes this

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Abou Ousmane - PF/C, 6-9, 225 - Brooklyn, NY (Scotland Campus, PA) - AAU: PSA Cardinals (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @IamAbouOusmane
Offers: Saint Louis, Fordham, Georgetown, Toledo, Cleveland State, South Dakota, Fairfield, Bryant.

Interest: VCU, St. Bonaventure, Seton Hall, Providence, St. John's, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Pittsburgh, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Texas A&M, Georgia, Connecticut, Temple, Tulsa, East Carolina, Princeton, SIU-Carbondale, Indiana State, Charlotte, Ohio, Kent State, Northern Kentucky, Youngstown State, Holy Cross, William & Mary, Little Rock, Coastal Carolina, McNeese State, Niagara, Marist, Saint Peter's, Hampton, Stetson, Coppin State, Florida A&M.

Scouting Report: Ousmane is a big, long, strong frontcourt player with good two-way ability. He runs the floor like a 4 but plays the half court like a 5. He's crafty with his back to the basket, using a variety of post moves to get looks - spins, drop-steps, etc. He favors his right but can finish with either hand with a nice hook shot. He's got touch out to mid-range and finishes strong in transition. He's a solid rebounder and shot blocker, and has surprising passing ability out of the high or low post for his size and age. He also creates a lot of steals on the defensive end. He had originally committed to Cleveland State out of Putnam Science Academy (he had the choice of going 2019 or 2020 and it was a 2019 commitment) but decommitted after CSU's coaching change and took a prep year at Scotland Campus. He started his HS career at Roberson in Brooklyn.

-A lot of reports call him "old school" or "unsexy" or "90s NBA center style" to give you an idea of his game. He says of himself "I'm a throwback big who uses controlled violence to score down low and get rebounds. I would say I try to play like Al Jefferson and a right-handed Zach Randolph". He's got a wide range of interest and has shown a ton of improvement in the past 1-2 years. We offered at the right time. Fordham and Toledo were the last two to offer before us; his other offers are from before his CSU commitment.

i'd take zach randolph!

29 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Bully ball forever!

23 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

About a third way through, this starts showing some jump shots.  Maybe, just maybe........a shooter.

This video got me fired up! I have a feeling this kid is going to be an all-conference type player

18 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

About a third way through, this starts showing some jump shots.  Maybe, just maybe........a shooter.

You would be surprised at how well our guys shoot in practice.  You are what you shoot against strong competition.  And Strickland's shooting percentage in AAU was under 25%.  Thatch was the same way.  His 40% percentages came against a more standard high school schedule where he had more time to get the shot off.

Coach Ford is building a team with plus athletes and all-around players with the occasional marksman (Jimerson).  He's bet that a few of the guys with nice strokes (Goodwin, Thatch, Strickland) will mature into good shooters.  Goodwin is coming along but not from the free throw line, Thatch's progress has been delayed by illness and Strickland will be a work in progress.

AGB91 and Coach314 like this

On 12/4/2019 at 1:06 PM, cgeldmacher said:

Everything by his shooting touch reminded me of French.  If I were the coaching staff, I'd sell him on they idea of that spot opening up.

Looks like a much softer touch than French.  Most of the time French just throws the ball at the backboard.  He certainly can't hit 18 foot jumpers like this kid is doing.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Looks like a much softer touch than French.  Most of the time French just throws the ball at the backboard.  He certainly can't hit 18 foot jumpers like this kid is doing.

Come on. French shoots 54% from the field. I get most of his shots are inside and he gets a lot of dunks, however, he has a decent touch from close. Granted there are times when he tries to power up through a defender or two and he has too much on the shot. Regardless of where he shoots from though 54% is respectable

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Come on. French shoots 54% from the field. I get most of his shots are inside and he gets a lot of dunks, however, he has a decent touch from close. Granted there are times when he tries to power up through a defender or two and he has too much on the shot. Regardless of where he shoots from though 54% is respectable

be good if it was his FT%

slufanskip likes this

33 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Surprised I hadn't seen this yet - I don't know much about him. Is he someone we may kick the tires on? He's from Hazelwood Central

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article238291313.html

Looks like they were over-committed for next season anyway

Think he played with Thatch on BBE.

38 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Surprised I hadn't seen this yet - I don't know much about him. Is he someone we may kick the tires on? He's from Hazelwood Central

He had some off the court issues that put him in the doghouse.  Once the 2020 point guard committed ...the writing was on the wall. 

35 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Shaun's a fundamentally sound two-way player who got stuck behind a bunch of upperclassmen and then got recruited over.  There's definitely a chance for rotation minutes here once Goodwin graduates. 

But if he chooses to transfer now, he'll be eligible next January and Goodwin will still be here.  Plus, he'd be competing with  Yuri, Jimerson, Jacobs and Thatch for minutes. He would be in the same situation he's in now.  If I were him, I'd wait until after the season is over to transfer.

4 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Looking at the big picture, any STL player that fails at K-State is good for us.

I get what you're saying. But if we make it back to the tourney, in back to back years with a ton of momentum, I think we can do much better. 

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

No. He'd be our worst guard and we will continue to recruit more talented players in the future. Keep the tool in the shed and let him go to Methdale or Edwardsville.

The only mid-season transfer I would consider at this point would be a decent big.

6 minutes ago, ACE said:

No. He'd be our worst guard and we will continue to recruit more talented players in the future. Keep the tool in the shed and let him go to Methdale or Edwardsville.

The only mid-season transfer I would consider at this point would be a decent big.

Don’t really think he qualifies for the tool label, given that SLU didn't offer him in high school.