Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, slubillikens43 said:

Damn I thought Stone might have been high on us.

Agreed.  It seemed like for a little bit there was some smoke for Stone to at least give us a closer look if not land him.  I know Stone is in the US now, so it is not exactly the same, but I'd love to re-establish the Aussie pipeline.  It seems like with so many former Billikens having success in the NBL (Lisch, Conklin, Jett, Loe), we could leverage that into recruiting success.

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Stone has been pretty clear about wanting to go high major. It's good the staff has established a relationship with a talented kid like this just in case it doesn't work out.

We've got one scholarship left and all of our most recent offers have been to big men.

I didn't think much of the top sentence, but I think it makes more sense in the transfer-heavy market today.

I still wonder how much the A-10 hurts recruiting (while at the same time realizing that there isn't a better option). 

slusam likes this

Our team needs a power forward more than a guard Yuri, JGood, Jacobs, Strickland, Jimerson and Perkins are great options.

I am all in for Donte Houston and I hope we could get him to visit for a game however not the Seton Hall game because they have offered Houston.

22 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Our team needs a power forward more than a guard Yuri, JGood, Jacobs, Strickland, Jimerson and Perkins are great options.

I am all in for Donte Houston and I hope we could get him to visit for a game however not the Seton Hall game because they have offered Houston.

Why? It would great for SLU when they beat down Seton Hall

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Why? It would great for SLU when they beat down Seton Hall

I wonder how often that happens that a recruit is a guest at a game that both teams would like to sign?

Happy Friday

• 2 weeks later...

2020 commitments are coming in fast now. Signing period starts Wednesday.

Xavier Foster to Iowa State, Nimari Burnett to Texas Tech, Matthew Murrell to Ole Miss. We had offers out to all but were not ever serious contenders. Reece Brown is down to UNLV, Rice, and Elon. I'm reading that he's leaning toward UNLV, which is more in line with his abilities. He'd be an all-conference player at either of the other two.

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

2020 commitments are coming in fast now. Signing period starts Wednesday.

Xavier Foster to Iowa State, Nimari Burnett to Texas Tech, Matthew Murrell to Ole Miss. We had offers out to all but were not ever serious contenders. Reece Brown is down to UNLV, Rice, and Elon. I'm reading that he's leaning toward UNLV, which is more in line with his abilities. He'd be an all-conference player at either of the other two.

I am not hearing anything about upcoming official visits from any non commits do you think most of these guys are waiting for Spring for better offers?

16 hours ago, CBFan said:

I am not hearing anything about upcoming official visits from any non commits do you think most of these guys are waiting for Spring for better offers?

On the existing list, yes. Fall signing period is today through next Wednesday. A couple of them might sign suddenly but it’ll be spring for most. Most of those are likely stale offers, too.

CBFan likes this

@Pistol (and any others who can chime in), I have fallen a little behind in keeping tabs with the 2020 class and had a couple of questions:

1a) Are there any recruits who we could reasonably hope make official visits this fall? The three names that seemed most likely were Donte Houston, Dusan Mahorcic and Eric Gaines (if we are still going after guards)

1b) Do you think it's more likely that we hold off on prioritizing anyone until the spring, potentially opening the door for transfers, decommits, late bloomers, etc.

2) Are there any STL kids from this class who we are still realistically targeting (Haven't heard much about Kobe Clark, Dylan Branson doesn't impress much).

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine here.

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

We beat Seton Hall we will be ranked and I hope Ford can get a commit right after

I will put money down we will get a player not currently on our radar (Billikens.com radar)

We will not be ranked just from beating a Powell-less Seton Hall. Will probably get a few votes. 

we would probably need to get to 9-0 going into the Auburn game to sneak in to the rankings, and I don’t see that happening with such a young team. 

6 hours ago, NH said:

@Pistol (and any others who can chime in), I have fallen a little behind in keeping tabs with the 2020 class and had a couple of questions:

1a) Are there any recruits who we could reasonably hope make official visits this fall? The three names that seemed most likely were Donte Houston, Dusan Mahorcic and Eric Gaines (if we are still going after guards)

1b) Do you think it's more likely that we hold off on prioritizing anyone until the spring, potentially opening the door for transfers, decommits, late bloomers, etc.

2) Are there any STL kids from this class who we are still realistically targeting (Haven't heard much about Kobe Clark, Dylan Branson doesn't impress much).

We have one scholarship to give, assuming no outbound transfers. It looks like we're targeting a big man with that spot.

Donte Houston still has four official visits to go, I believe. He's the guy who put us in his top ten and then said the next day he's still wide open, so he might just be seeing if he can land any more big offers. Middle Tennessee was his only OV, in early October. As for his game, he's a tough, athletic PF who plays above the rim. He's got a mean streak and the way he finishes, rebounds, and protects the rim, there's a bit of French in his game.

Eric Gaines was here with Strickland for Billiken Madness. I don't know where we stand with him but I get the sense he's wide open and counting on a big season and obviously signing in the spring. As of right now we don't have a scholarship to give him but if we wound up with another spot, he's definitely worth a scholarship. Small but explosive.

Dusan Mahorcic would come in as a junior and by the looks of it, he'd be ready to go on day one. Haven't seen an update on his recruitment in about four weeks but Arkansas is said to be interested. He said previously that he'd commit if a visit went well enough, so his commitment timeline could be very short or go all the way to the spring signing period.

As for SLU's timeline, I can't say for sure. I think there are plenty of players we know about who we'd take an immediate commitment from. It's just a weird spot for us having only one spot left going into the spring. Plenty of time and options, though.

I don't think there are any STL kids left we see as priorities because there aren't any bigs left. It's always possible that someone transfers and someone like Kobe Clark has a huge year and things go quickly. You never know. But as of right now, I would bet we don't end up with an STL player in this class.

I saw video of jordan nesbitt on twitter this morning.   Are we in the running for him?  Nice looking player.   Reminds me of jason edwin.   

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Canadian guard Kobe Elvis committed to DePaul. Had a SLU offer. UMass and DePaul appeared to be working the hardest lately.

Sorry, @Box and Won.

Also: Justyn Mutts is averaging 12.5 pts and 7.7 rebounds a game for Delaware.  He dropped 23 and 13 on Bridgewater.  We would've gotten to see him in person had he not transferred from High Point.

Pistol likes this

10 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Also: Justyn Mutts is averaging 12.5 pts and 7.7 rebounds a game for Delaware.  He dropped 23 and 13 on Bridgewater.  We would've gotten to see him in person had he not transferred from High Point.

Dude it took YEARS but until this morning I just didn't see why that name was so funny......