Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Hey, Pistol.  Is the fact that we are looking at foreign players now a sign that we're moving to Plan B or Plan C?  Or, to be more direct, is it a sign that the staff is viewing this class as not as successful as we would have hoped and are trying to salvage something?

Not Pistol, but no. You get players wherever you can get them. Every year, Local, Regional, National, International, other. All that matters is if that can play well, develop at this level, and fit at SLU. 

Pistol likes this

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Hey, Pistol.  Is the fact that we are looking at foreign players now a sign that we're moving to Plan B or Plan C?  Or, to be more direct, is it a sign that the staff is viewing this class as not as successful as we would have hoped and are trying to salvage something?

It's a sign that the window for signing a big in the fall is almost closed.  Time to move on to spring targets: prep, juco, foreign players.  And of course there's a full season of high school basketball left for late bloomers to emerge.

Pistol likes this

31 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Courtside and 3Star have it. It's harsh to say the class is in salvage mode. There are plenty of good prospects remaining and even though we missed on Bradford, we haven't been super aggressive with 2020 bigs overall.

I'm hoping we can get Dusan Mahorčič on campus. He's the Serbian kid who played HS ball in the Chicago area and is currently at Moberly CC.

51 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Gethro Muscadin committed to Kansas. Had a SLU offer, but we weren't a finalist.

High-level recruits Isaiah Todd and Devin Askew are also announcing today. Neither were SLU recruits, but commitments are rolling in quickly.

-wow, kid must have really improved

TJHawk likes this

Had a SLU offer, but his finalists were K-State, NC State, and Pitt. Pitt recruited him the hardest, basically from day one of Capel taking over: 

And Bradford's KSU commitment solidified it.

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

Had a SLU offer, but his finalists were K-State, NC State, and Pitt. Pitt recruited him the hardest, basically from day one of Capel taking over: 

And Bradford's KSU commitment solidified it.

Is that Twitter account the official one for Pitt hoops?  If so, I'm surprised to see them "comment" on a commitment (which is not a Letter of Intent).  Is the NCAA allowing schools to do this? (Obviously, if the account is not officially connected with the program, that nullifies my question.)

16 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Is that Twitter account the official one for Pitt hoops?  If so, I'm surprised to see them "comment" on a commitment (which is not a Letter of Intent).  Is the NCAA allowing schools to do this? (Obviously, if the account is not officially connected with the program, that nullifies my question.)

I believe someone answered this a month or so ago. If my memory is correct, I believe a school can retweet and can  “like” a tweet but cannot generate or create a tweet on its own 

10 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

I believe someone answered this a month or so ago. If my memory is correct, I believe a school can retweet and can  “like” a tweet but cannot generate or create a tweet on its own 

If that account is Pitt basketball, it sure looks like it generated that tweet.

15 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

... It is not the official Pitt Basketball team twitter 

15 hours ago, courtside said:

It's not an official Pitt account. It also frequently gets Pitt recruiting incorrect. It's more like a fan account, at least the way it is run. No affiliation with Pitt official. 

Thanks for the info, guys.

Former SLU target RJ Davis committed to North Carolina. Up until his recent UNC visit he was expected to choose Marquette. 6 months ago, possibly Pittsburgh where their assistant is a grad of Stepinac as well. UNC was actively recruiting, Cade Cunningham, Bryce Thompson, others at guard in addition to the already committed Caleb Love. It was commit now or risk not getting a spot. UNC was able to get him on campus recently and a little over a week later he committed. SLU once again identified a very good player early who became an elite top 50 recruit. Tough to hold off the UNC, UK, etc...for anyone.

Pistol likes this

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Had a SLU offer: 

g-tech.   just handed massive ncaa penalties.   why would anyone got there beyond the cash?

Just now, billiken_roy said:

g-tech.   just handed massive ncaa penalties.   why would anyone got there beyond the cash?

It was unexpected for me because he had an official visit scheduled for a few weeks ago and cancelled it, and everyone assumed it was because of the infractions. Then he went this weekend and committed.

Pastner is completely shady and not a particularly good coach. This was obvious when he was at Arizona - fits the worst "young man in a hurry" stereotype completely.

I am hoping that coach Ford can get Donte Houston in for a visit.

I am wondering since French has the starting power forward position locked up for the next two seasons is one of the reasons we cannot find an interested power forward?

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

It was unexpected for me because he had an official visit scheduled for a few weeks ago and cancelled it, and everyone assumed it was because of the infractions. Then he went this weekend and committed.

Pastner is completely shady and not a particularly good coach. This was obvious when he was at Arizona - fits the worst "young man in a hurry" stereotype completely.

Maybe someday he can aspire to get a long term contract to coach the Jazz.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Pastner just needed a little time to get the suitcase of cash ready for pickup. 

KU will be next. 

Had a SLU offer, but we weren't a finalist: 

Chose Tulsa over Colorado, Colorado State, UAB, K-State, West Virginia, Murray State, and Loyola. I think a couple of those were no longer real options (like K-State).

We didn't make the cut for Jayden Stone: 

If anyone is having an issue with the link or can't see the video, he's down to a final 5 of Auburn, Alabama, Baylor, Tennessee, and Ole Miss.

Not much other 2020 news since I've been gone the past several days. Kadary Richmond chose Syracuse; we didn't make his original cut. Mark Williams chooses today between Duke, UCLA, and Michigan.