Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Only pick I am seeing at this point is for Kansas State from Grant Flanders (didn't click to find out who that is).

Yea I saw that, he is a K State guy and got one other K State pick right so not sure if he actually has inside info or just wants that to be the pick.  

This one surprised me: 

Maybe an academic issue? Credits or something? He transferred from DuQuoin to Mehlville last summer, which seems like plenty of time to have all that in order for a spring 2020 graduation. I thought he could be a nice spring get for a D-I program.

21 hours ago, thetorch said:

Bradford was done with Mizzou when they got the commit from the 7'3 kid last week. Bradford is going K St or KU.

More picks for Kansas State including Gabe DeArmond (Mizzou Rivals) and Eric Bossi who I think is based out of KC and likely a really good source, so I assume it will be the Wildcats. I had heard in past classes how much the local recruits and their families were responding to Kansas State, so this class would certainly seem to support that.

13 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

More picks for Kansas State including Gabe DeArmond (Mizzou Rivals) and Eric Bossi who I think is based out of KC and likely a really good source, so I assume it will be the Wildcats. I had heard in past classes how much the local recruits and their families were responding to Kansas State, so this class would certainly seem to support that.

I heard the same thing about Weber and Lowery especially when it comes to the families.

23 hours ago, thetorch said:

Bradford was done with Mizzou when they got the commit from the 7'3 kid last week. Bradford is going K St or KU.

Why KU?  Does he not want to play in the post season?  Their football sucks - and always has - and now basketball facing NCAA investigation and sanctions!

On 10/1/2019 at 7:58 AM, 3star_recruit said:

Rooting for Minnesota and St. John's to land their top big man targets.  That would make us the best remaining offers for Jeremiah Oden and Max Amadasun.

Four-star forward Martice Mitchell verbally committed to Minnesota on Monday, he tells 247Sports. 

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Minnesota-Gopher-Basketball-Recruiting-Martice-Mitchell-Minnesota-Four-star-136651907/

Good call @3star_recruit

26 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Why KU?  Does he not want to play in the post season?  Their football sucks - and always has - and now basketball facing NCAA investigation and sanctions!

Maybe play for a national championship. Play his games on national tv. Play for a top 5 program. National champion football & basketball coaches. Unlimited strippers. 

TJHawk likes this

11 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Minnesota should be a good fit for him.

Liam Murphy, a 6-7 SF out of Staten Island, committed to Columbia. Had a SLU offer at one point. He announced a couple months ago that he was going to reclassify to the 2021 class and take a prep year after his senior year at St. Peter's HS, but Columbia convinced him to stay in NYC and go there next fall. Should be a nice Ivy League player.

Dusan Mahorčič - PF, 6-10, 215 - Belgrade, Serbia (Moberly Area Community College, MO) - Twitter: @DMahorcic
Offers: Saint Louis, Tulsa.

Interest: Florida State, West Virginia, Arkansas, USC.

Latest News: Mahorčič received an offer from SLU. Arkansas was out to see him this week. (10/8/19)

Scouting Report: Mahorčič is a skilled, versatile big man at both ends. He can score in the post, finishes strong at the rim, and can step out and shoot from mid-range and the perimeter. He's a strong rim protector and he rebounds very well at both ends. He understands spacing and screens, shows great vision and understanding of the game, and is a sharp passer. He shows a high motor in transition. He played at Notre Dame HS in Niles, IL for three seasons after coming to the US. He dealt with foot injuries for most of his freshman year at D-II Lewis University. A late bloomer who improved dramatically his senior HS season, he got looks from Virginia, Illinois, USC, Georgia Tech, Georgia State, Pepperdine, Cal State-Northridge, and others before ending up at Lewis.

-So this offer confirms that the staff is prioritizing a big for the last spot. This kid is pretty intriguing. Came to the US for his sophomore year of HS, learned English on the fly, improved dramatically every year but didn't get D-I offers, went to Lewis (D-II) but battled injuries his freshman year, and is now hoping for a breakout juco season at Moberly. His big game in HS came in December 2017, when he posted 34 points, 22 rebounds, and 10 blocks in a win. His HS coach said he tended to float around the perimeter earlier on (he mostly played on the wing when he was younger), so he worked with him on developing more of an inside game to go with it. He's really, really long and blocks and disrupts as much as he can. He finishes hard but doesn't always go for the simplest play, putting a little Euro flourish on his moves at times when it might make more sense to just go straight at the rim. He's very fluid and runs well - not a stiff by any means.

From what I can tell on his Instagram, he's added a ton of muscle to his frame since HS. There's not a lot of video on him, but a YouTube clip from September 2017 shows a lot of the attributes I mention above. He has taken an official visit to West Virginia and I think that's it so far. Tulsa has offered. Florida State, Arkansas, and USC are also looking. I'm not sure who else is involved this time around yet, but will be tracking this one closely.

CBFan likes this

We have two offers to Dallas-area 2020 players: Donte Houston, Jr., a PF who included us in his top 10, and Andrew Laczkowski, who seems/seemed very interested in SLU but who is more of a perimeter player. He could also be seeing someone I'm not tracking yet.

50 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We have two offers to Dallas-area 2020 players: Donte Houston, Jr., a PF who included us in his top 10, and Andrew Laczkowski, who seems/seemed very interested in SLU but who is more of a perimeter player. He could also be seeing someone I'm not tracking yet.

I like your write up on Houston and I was going to ask you if the latest offer to the JUCO big was because SLU did not have a chance to land any of the remaining power forwards listed in the recruit thread.

Since SLU is in his finalist list I hope Stuen is visiting Houston and can convince Houston to visit SLU.  

I rank Houston as the number 1 power listed. I like his size and seems to have a jump shot.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

It isn't Laczkowski.  He just committed to Penn about an hour ago.

Pistol likes this

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It isn't Laczkowski.  He just committed to Penn about an hour ago.

Hard to pass up a free ride to Penn ($73K for tuition room & board). I'm probably way off and this is based on my limited viewing of Ivy League basketball the past 5+ years but it seems the league is much better today in terms of talent and competitiveness than in year's past. 

It's getting pretty close to the Fall commitment period. Coaches are turning their attention to likely spring signees ( prep schoolers, jucos, late bloomers). No harm in making your final pitch to a top 150 player like Donte Houston to determine your best use of the calendar going forward. If he's nowhere near cutting down his list of 10, it's probably just best to move on.

TheChosenOne likes this

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Hard to pass up a free ride to Penn ($73K for tuition room & board). I'm probably way off and this is based on my limited viewing of Ivy League basketball the past 5+ years but it seems the league is much better today in terms of talent and competitiveness than in year's past. 

Are the Ivies now offering full athletic scholarships?

(Yeah, I know that many of the athletes can get grants, but it doesn't count.)

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Are the Ivies now offering full athletic scholarships?

(Yeah, I know that many of the athletes can get grants, but it doesn't count.)

I don’t think so, but I read sometime in the last few years that a large number of students qualify for close to full scholarships due to grants. If you can get accepted to an Ivy and aren’t an elite athlete to suggest that playing professionally is likely, taking the Ivy route makes a ton of sense, even if you have to pay a fraction of the tuition.