Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

With Coach Ford at the helm, I wouldn't rule much out.

I agree and I hope Stone makes an announcement soon it will be a nice class.

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Our two most recent offers in the 2020 class were to a power forward and a power forward/center.  I think that's where we go next, even in an imperfect world.

Strickland has struck me as kind of an interesting priority for the staff, as in recent months they've been mostly offering and visiting combo guards and true PF/C types. Strickland has called himself a big guard; I believe he's about 6-6 right now, listed at 6-5 in most places and as high as 6-7 in one place (which looks like a stretch). His dad was 6-9. Do you think there's a chance they're looking at him as more of a combo forward who can play some 4 in this league? Or are they recruiting him for what he is now- a long, athletic scoring wing? I get the sense you believe the latter but am just curious.

33 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Strickland has struck me as kind of an interesting priority for the staff, as in recent months they've been mostly offering and visiting combo guards and true PF/C types. Strickland has called himself a big guard; I believe he's about 6-6 right now, listed at 6-5 in most places and as high as 6-7 in one place (which looks like a stretch). His dad was 6-9. Do you think there's a chance they're looking at him as more of a combo forward who can play some 4 in this league? Or are they recruiting him for what he is now- a long, athletic scoring wing? I get the sense you believe the latter but am just curious.

Asking Markhi to play the 4 at this level when he hasn't even played the 4 in high school is a bridge too far. The offers started coming when he started hitting jump shots and outplaying other guards/small forwards.

Pistol likes this

You’re right. He does not look like a replacement for French. We lost Foreman to graduation, Santos and Gordon to irresponsibility, never saw what Welmer could do, Rashad Anthony was a 1 year guy - but we signed Bell and Diarra and have Hankton. Seems like landing a 4 is the way to go. 

9 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

You’re right. He does not look like a replacement for French. We lost Foreman to graduation, Santos and Gordon to irresponsibility, never saw what Welmer could do, Rashad Anthony was a 1 year guy - but we signed Bell and Diarra and have Hankton. Seems like landing a 4 is the way to go. 

Agree, Ike, Houston or Lewis would be the players I hope the coaches are visiting and watching their games.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Rooting for Minnesota and St. John's to land their top big man targets.  That would make us the best remaining offers for Jeremiah Oden and Max Amadasun.

I'm good with this too. 

I'm surprised the Strickland commit didn't get more attention from the recruiting folks on the Internet. 

18 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

From the video I've seen and his size, he seems to me like a Dwayne Evans type with possibly more athleticism.  I think if he became that prediction it would be the outer end of what we could hope for.

If he is more athletic than Evans we have a stud. 

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

From the video I've seen and his size, he seems to me like a Dwayne Evans type with possibly more athleticism.  I think if he became that prediction it would be the outer end of what we could hope for.

Evans was a dominant rebounder and paint player who remained a dominant rebounder/paint player in college plus perfected a mid-range jump shot that allowed him to play the 3. 

Strickland plays like a traditional wing player. You will not see him dominate the boards or do a lot of posting up. He just happens to be an elite run and jump athlete.

Zink likes this

6 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Sorry but I don’t recall Dwayne ever dribbling like that. 

5 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Evans was a dominant rebounder and paint player who remained a dominant rebounder/paint player in college plus perfected a mid-range jump shot that allowed him to play the 3. 

Strickland plays like a traditional wing player. You will not see him dominate the boards or do a lot of posting up. He just happens to be an elite run and jump athlete.

Agreed on Evans. Trust you on Strickland

Zink likes this

Caleb Love commits to North Carolina.

Blue font, coach Martin calling to check how strong his commitment is.

John Hugley is down to Pitt, NC State, and K-State and is announcing on the 18th. The reason I bring this up, especially since he eliminated SLU a while ago, is that a K-State commitment would close the door on anyone else - notably Bradford - going to K-State. They'd be oversubscribed by one (I'm not familiar with everyone on the roster, so maybe they have a former walk-on or something) and this would be their 2020 big man. If I had to guess, Pitt has been prioritizing him from day one of the Capel era and I think it'll pay off, but he visits KSU this weekend and this is worth monitoring.

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

John Hugley is down to Pitt, NC State, and K-State and is announcing on the 18th. The reason I bring this up, especially since he eliminated SLU a while ago, is that a K-State commitment would close the door on anyone else - notably Bradford - going to K-State. They'd be oversubscribed by one (I'm not familiar with everyone on the roster, so maybe they have a former walk-on or something) and this would be their 2020 big man. If I had to guess, Pitt has been prioritizing him from day one of the Capel era and I think it'll pay off, but he visits KSU this weekend and this is worth monitoring.

K State just got a commitment from a wing player this week.  But they did give a scholarship to a walk on for this year and I think a couple players might not be back next year....besides the ones graduating.  

Pistol and Bills_06 like this

23 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'll trust you on this one, as you always have good info about what our guys did at the high school level.  I seemed to remember that Evans was more of a slasher in high school and developed into the guy we remember (rebounder/defender) when he got here.

Just now, cgeldmacher said:

I'll trust you on this one, as you always have good info about what our guys did at the high school level.  I seemed to remember that Evans was more of a slasher in high school and developed into the guy we remember (rebounder/defender) when he got here.

Evans was such a good back to the basket player, even though he was undersized. That aspect of the game is a lost art.

8 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Thanks for the compliment.  I remember back when Evans committed, saying to myself "why are we getting a 6'5 guy?  We need rebounding!"  Then I watched some footage of him on YouTube and read this article.  Evans has always been "that guy." The rankings don't measure this:

https://prev.dailyherald.com/story/?id=363396

Before he missed the last two games of the regular season with a strained Achilles' tendon, Evans averaged 16.9 points, 12.0 rebounds and 3.2 assists. His length helped him snag 61 steals. His long arms (he can nearly reach up and touch the backboard flat-footed), leaping ability and quickness off the floor added up to 73 blocked shots...

He is incredible on the glass," Sutton said. "More important than that is that he is the most fierce competitor I have coached. He has a different level that others do not have. He is great at practice and is always the hardest worker. He is also a great student.