Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

21 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Compared to the local St. Louis high school forwards do you think Strickland is better?

If Strickland commits does SLU still pursue Bradford or do they look for another guard.

Based on production, he's the same caliber of recruit as Kobe Clark or Lamontay Daugherty. But his upside is potentially higher. He has Hargrove-level athleticism. Not as physical, but probably a little faster and with a good enough handle to play the 2. Solid 3pt shooter.

CBFan likes this

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Love is a combo guard, Fletcher and Kasubke are wings, Kalkbrenner and Bradford are centers. They're the top five locals. It's hard to say Strickland is better than any of them, as they're all nationally ranked and he's a bit of a late bloomer. Maybe Kasubke is better right now but Strickland's long-term upside is higher?

I see Strickland as a SF with length and athleticism. He's still listed at 6-5 most places but might be an inch taller now. His dad (who played for 6 NBA teams in 9 years after going undrafted out of Temple, in addition to numerous international leagues) is 6-9, so he still might be growing. If that's the case, we might be looking at him as a longer term forward who can play the 3 or 4. But right now, I think he sees himself as a wing guard with length.

Which is a long way of saying - I'm not sure what the priority for the last scholarship is if he indeed commits. My guess is we pursue another guard and look at him as a long-term 4.

Thank you for the response I should have been more specific about the locals that are still available playing the forward position.

5 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

He has a pretty impressive list of offers. The offers seem better than Kobe Clark and Daughtery.

I'm guessing he's probably a 3*? 

Prep Hoops has him ranked #231. He's not listed on 247Sports, and their 3-star kids go up to about 380 out of 405 listed players. He doesn't have profiles at ESPN, Rivals, or Future150. So I just don't know what the others would list him at star-wise until and unless they report on him.

26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Prep Hoops has him ranked #231. He's not listed on 247Sports, and their 3-star kids go up to about 380 out of 405 listed players. He doesn't have profiles at ESPN, Rivals, or Future150. So I just don't know what the others would list him at star-wise until and unless they report on him.

-so this kid will declare for SLU tonight, sign on Nov 13, go have a MONSTER season and then have  HOF career Being a Billiken? a lot to like

RiseAndGrind likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Based on production, he's the same caliber of recruit as Kobe Clark or Lamontay Daugherty. But his upside is potentially higher. He has Hargrove-level athleticism. Not as physical, but probably a little faster and with a good enough handle to play the 2. Solid 3pt shooter.

3star, I'm not doubting you, but I am curious where you found any info on him being a solid 3 pt shooter?  Are there stats that we on this Board have not seen?  I would love to have another hi-quality outside gunner to go with GJ, KCH, Perkins and (hopefully) YC next year.  You can never have enough good shooters to help open up the inside.  Just think if we would have had a solid big 4/5 when we had Highmark, Waldman and Clags!

Markhi now has a countdown going on his instagram account with the word "Commitment" above it. Looks like he is definitely committing somewhere tonight. The fact that he just visited and is now following all sorts of SLU players' accounts has to be a good sign. Plus, this is the only official visit he has taken so far.

Zink, RiseAndGrind and Pistol like this

45 minutes ago, bauman said:

3star, I'm not doubting you, but I am curious where you found any info on him being a solid 3 pt shooter?  Are there stats that we on this Board have not seen?  I would love to have another hi-quality outside gunner to go with GJ, KCH, Perkins and (hopefully) YC next year.  You can never have enough good shooters to help open up the inside.  Just think if we would have had a solid big 4/5 when we had Highmark, Waldman and Clags!

He's capable of hitting 3s, a streaky shooter akin to Thatch. You're not going to get a 6'5 elite athlete who is also a high level shooter. Those guys are McDonald's All Americans. Markhi shot it well at the NBPA Top 100 camp and the hope is that trend will continue.

Littlebill and Zink like this

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

He's capable of hitting 3s, a streaky shooter akin to Thatch. You're not going to get a 6'5 elite athlete who is also a high level shooter. Those guys are McDonald's All Americans. Markhi shot it well at the NBPA Top 100 camp and the hope is that trend will continue.

thx

51 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Markhi now has a countdown going on his instagram account with the word "Commitment" above it. Looks like he is definitely committing somewhere tonight. The fact that he just visited and is now following all sorts of SLU players' accounts has to be a good sign. Plus, this is the only official visit he has taken so far.

I like this trend. 

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Our two most recent offers in the 2020 class were to a power forward and a power forward/center.  I think that's where we go next, even in an imperfect world.

Do you think Jaydon Stone is still in play for SLU?