Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the tweet Brian. Laczkowsi still has our offer pinned to the top of his feed so it looks like he's a plan B guy. 

Coach Ford can afford to be selective with only one senior on the roster. He's a good enough recruiter to bring in an under the radar recruit in the spring. If he wants to take a few cracks at bringing in a top 150 recruit, now's the time to do it.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

\Coach Ford can afford to be selective with only one senior on the roster. He's a good enough recruiter to bring in an under the radar recruit in the spring. If he wants to take a few cracks at bringing in a top 150 recruit, now's the time to do it.

Should we assume we have missed on our primary targets for this class at this point and are kind of moving to secondary targets? This isn't meant as a negative (either for the recruits or the coaching staff), with our roster this class was always going to be a somewhat odd one and the staff being able to be selective with those two open scholarships. I thought the perfect recruit to go all in on (like Goodwin) was Love, but it was fairly obvious early on that wasn't in the cards. It seems like (and this may not be accurate) our most recent recruits we have had a chance to land (Kasubke and now Stone) kind of flamed up after things being dormant with both (I never saw SLU as being all in on Kasubke this summer and hadn't heard of us actively tracking Stone) and them maybe not having the options they expected to have or once had. Man it would be nice to have someone providing recruiting content for SLU basketball.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Thanks for the tweet Brian. Laczkowsi still has our offer pinned to the top of his feed so it looks like he's a plan B guy. 

Coach Ford can afford to be selective with only one senior on the roster. He's a good enough recruiter to bring in an under the radar recruit in the spring. If he wants to take a few cracks at bringing in a top 150 recruit, now's the time to do it.

Yes but don't forget we have an unused scholarship from this year as well - at least 2 for next year.

13 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Should we assume we have missed on our primary targets for this class at this point and are kind of moving to secondary targets? This isn't meant as a negative (either for the recruits or the coaching staff), with our roster this class was always going to be a somewhat odd one and the staff being able to be selective with those two open scholarships. I thought the perfect recruit was Love, but it was fairly obvious early on that wasn't in the cards.

None of us knew that the staff was involved with Jayden Stone until Pistol started us Internet snooping a few days ago. He's a top 150 player. By definition, that's a priority recruit. Who knows what other top 150 guys Coach Ford is trying to set up visits with?

If the staff was in secondary target mode, you'd think we'd be on Laczkowski's visit schedule. It's obvious he's interested.

11 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes but don't forget we have an unused scholarship from this year as well - at least 2 for next year.

I think this year it would make sense to try to land a high level sit-one transfer in the spring to be waiting in the wings to be prepared for when the class of Goodwin, French and Perkins graduates.

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

None of us knew that the staff was involved with Jayden Stone until Pistol started us Internet snooping a few days ago. He's a top 150 player. By definition, that's a priority recruit. Who knows what other top 150 guys Coach Ford is trying to set up visits with?

I don't have an actual definition of priority or primary target, but I don't think just because a kid is a top 150 recruit means we have always identified him as such. What I mean is that if you were in the coaching meetings heading into this spring/summer, who would they have in that A group of recruiting targets for the 2020 class that they were going to make sure to have eyes on and keep tabs on throughout the spring and summer? I tend to think we are now looking at guys who were outside of that group and I tend to think Luke was outside of that group as well, but again things develop as guys go off the board or other kids catch your eye, so that A list is constantly evolving. I really like Stone, so I don't care what our interest in him was in April thru July as I am sure he is now in that category (as Luke became I'm sure), but it would seem like we aren't finalists for guys we would have spent our spring and summer pursuing as our top targets. But with our roster and the limited scholarships, this always seemed like it was going to be an interesting class for us assuming the elite local guys weren't interested. I have no idea who else Ford is trying to set up visits. I don't think I fully know how Pistol found our interest in Stone, but I think it likely also proves that this one kind of heated up after being dormant as well. And I am not saying that is a bad thing in any way, just that I think our original top targets for 2020 are likely no longer options for us.

47 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I don't have an actual definition of priority or primary target, but I don't think just because a kid is a top 150 recruit means we have always identified him as such. What I mean is that if you were in the coaching meetings heading into this spring/summer, who would they have in that A group of recruiting targets for the 2020 class that they were going to make sure to have eyes on and keep tabs on throughout the spring and summer? I tend to think we are now looking at guys who were outside of that group and I tend to think Luke was outside of that group as well, but again things develop as guys go off the board or other kids catch your eye, so that A list is constantly evolving. I really like Stone, so I don't care what our interest in him was in April thru July as I am sure he is now in that category (as Luke became I'm sure), but it would seem like we aren't finalists for guys we would have spent our spring and summer pursuing as our top targets. But with our roster and the limited scholarships, this always seemed like it was going to be an interesting class for us assuming the elite local guys weren't interested. I have no idea who else Ford is trying to set up visits. I don't think I fully know how Pistol found our interest in Stone, but I think it likely also proves that this one kind of heated up after being dormant as well. And I am not saying that is a bad thing in any way, just that I think our original top targets for 2020 are likely no longer options for us.

I'm not really sure who are top targets were locally or otherwise. I always got the feeling the top tier St. Louis kids had their sights set on big national programs and had told SLU to forget it. Love and Fletcher come to mind. I do recall discussions about Kasabuke and Bradford plus a couple of Bradford's teammates from Mehlville. I got the feeling they were our top local targets. At this stage, assuming Stone falls through, I'd just as soon Ford waits until Spring rather than just offer a roster stuffer, ala Soderberg. Spring recruiting season has become as hot as the Fall period with Transfers, GT's, late bloomers, late signees, and foreign players. I'm just hoping we don't have a couple of guys wanting to check out after this season leaving us with 4 spots to fill. That would hurt, but how do you keep everyone happy these days? It's a problem a lot of teams face when you've got like 700 plus players entering the transfer portal every spring. 

On 8/21/2019 at 8:36 AM, Pistol said:

ESPN's updated rankings are out today for 2020, 2021, and 2022.

Players in the 2020 top 100 with SLU offers:
39. R.J. Davis (I expect him to release a list soon, and SLU won't be on it.)
47. Matthew Murrell (He might take longer to list his finalists, but SLU isn't in this one, either.)
57. Keon Ambrose-Hylton (We're in his top 10.)
90. Dudley Blackwell
94. Kadary Richmond
96. Jamal Mashburn, Jr.
97. Ryan Kalkbrenner

Players who had SLU offers and either didn't include the Bills on their lists or have committed elsewhere:
18. Nimari Burnett
23. Caleb Love
25. D.J. Steward
29. Mark Williams
44. Cam'Ron Fletcher (Kentucky)
50. Xavier Foster
51. Dain Dainja (Baylor)
63. L.J. Cryer (Baylor)
64. Deivon Smith
78. Davonte Davis (Oklahoma State)

The only SLU offer in the top 100 to drop out is Davion Bradford, who was 85th before the update.

RJ Davis is down to a final four of:

Georgetown, Marquette, Pittsburgh, North Carolina. 

Pistol likes this

Anyone know anything about that school? We have family in Sarasota, so I looked it up and on Google Map it shows a UPS store. Some of these "schools" are very strange to me.

I would note that the address/UPS store is right around the corner from IMG (so their mailbox is in Bradenton as opposed to Sarasota). Has anyone looked at IMG's facilities? Unbelievable and I assume the star football and basketball players there are on scholarship (one of my in-laws mentioned when we drove by it heading to Anna Maria Island that they have a friend who's daughter is there for tennis and I think she said something like the cost being around $70k or something crazy)?

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Anyone know anything about that school? We have family in Sarasota, so I looked it up and on Google Map it shows a UPS store. Some of these "schools" are very strange to me.

I would note that the address/UPS store is right around the corner from IMG (so their mailbox is in Bradenton as opposed to Sarasota). Has anyone looked at IMG's facilities? Unbelievable and I assume the star football and basketball players there are on scholarship (one of my in-laws mentioned when we drove by it heading to Anna Maria Island that they have a friend who's daughter is there for tennis and I think she said something like the cost being around $70k or something crazy)?

Not sure about that school but I'm sure their facilities are unbelievable. You know what else is unbelievable? Throwing back 8 or 9 cold brews at Rod n Reel on AMI.

Also not sure what to think of this Markhi Strickland. Wasn't really impressed after looking at his Verbal Commits page but not sure how updated that is (has him listed at 6'5). Pistol's analysis made me feel a little better about him but still hoping he's a back up plan.

8 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Not sure about that school but I'm sure their facilities are unbelievable. You know what else is unbelievable? Throwing back 8 or 9 cold brews at Rod n Reel on AMI.

Thanks for the recommendation. We have family who recently got a place across the bridge from AMI in Longboat Key, so I will be getting over there more frequently. I have been to a handful of places on AMI, but am usually not in the right mind to remember names of places.

45 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Not sure what to think of this Markhi Strickland. Wasn't really impressed after looking at his Verbal Commits page but not sure how updated that is (has him listed at 6'5). Pistol's analysis made me feel a little better about him but still hoping he's a back up plan.

Just ate at rod n reel a half hour ago. Any other recommendations on AMI?

8 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Just ate at rod n reel a half hour ago. Any other recommendations on AMI?

If you aren't concerned with cost, I've heard Beach Bistro is great. The last time I was there I tried getting a reservation a few weeks in advance and it was all booked up, so I have never been. Just heard it is really good, but also expensive.