Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

11 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I don’t care who it is, but a commitment soon would be really cool 

D-I commitments are coming in hot right now. There have been 5-6 more since Luke announced yesterday morning. Rivals Top 150 commitments are up over 50% compared to last year at this time (this could be because the rule allowing juniors to take official visits has been in place for a full year).

So yeah, it'd be nice to join the party, although I have to add that I'd rather have the right players than just early commits.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some good prospects in the Ramey Fall League, which starts this weekend.

Uncommitted 2020 players worth watching:
Davion Bradford
Sam Richardson
Lamontay Daughtery
Dylan Branson
Kobe Clark

A lot of good 2021 players, as well, and a chance to figure out who some of the better freshmen and sophomores in the area are.

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

There are some good prospects in the Ramey Fall League, which starts this weekend.

Uncommitted 2020 players worth watching:
Davion Bradford
Sam Richardson
Lamontay Daughtery
Dylan Branson
Kobe Clark

A lot of good 2021 players, as well, and a chance to figure out who some of the better freshmen and sophomores in the area are.

-is there anything to be made of Branson and Daughtery playing on a different team than Bradford? 

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-is there anything to be made of Branson and Daughtery playing on a different team than Bradford? 

Fairness? It seems like they tried to pair some HS/AAU teammates, but not concentrate them all together. I don't know, even just Kasubke and Bradford (both MOKAN Elite) on the same team seems a bit unfair to some of the others.

23 hours ago, Pistol said:

Disappointing, but we have options. Other names to monitor:

Andrew Laczkowski - He's about Luke's size and also plays the wing, but he's a much later bloomer recruiting profile-wise. He's got 11 offers and SLU is probably the highest level one at this point. We offered last month and the coaches went down to visit him. This must have been a big deal to him because the SLU offer is his pinned tweet, even though others have come after. He's an excellent shooter - maybe better than Kasubke - although his all-around offensive game isn't as strong and Kasubke is a better athlete. He's a smart, efficient player and has some potential. I'm keeping a close watch on this one.

I want this kid.  He played for the Adidas Gauntlet champions YGC36 team.  He really has been overshadowed to this point by his high school and AAU teammate Harrison Ingram.  Ingram is a top 25 recruit. In Gauntlet play Laczkowski tied Harrison as the team's leading scorer while shooting 50% from 3 (27-54). He was on campus when he received his offer.

His mother, Amy Albers Laczkowski, is a Borgia and Wash U grad.  She was the D3 female athlete of the year, two time D3 player of the year in volleyball, three time first team all-American, three time academic all-American and played on four national title winning teams.  His dad is Wash U grad and former basketball player, but not originally from the area.

A 50% 3 shooter is significant.   how big is this guy?   is mom originally from Illinois?   seems like i remember an Amy Albers that went to either Mater Dei or Breese Central that was quite the athlete.   but that was awhile back so i might be mistaken.  

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

What a relief, new to the game. I promise I will do better with Tarris Reed.

Just remember it’s not always about the cash.

some kids want the bag of cash, some want tractors for their farm, some want a house and a job for their mom.

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I want this kid.  He played for the Adidas Gauntlet champions YGC36 team.  He really has been overshadowed to this point by his high school and AAU teammate Harrison Ingram.  Ingram is a top 25 recruit. In Gauntlet play Laczkowski tied Harrison as the teams leading scorer while shooting 50% from 3 (27-54). He was on campus when he received his offer.

His mother, Amy Albers Laczkowski is a Borgia grad and Wash U grad.  She was the D3 female athlete of the year, two time D3 player of the year in volleyball, three time first team all-American, three time academic all-American and played on four national title winning teams.  His dad is Wash U grad, but not originally from the area.

This sounds ideal. Let’s do it Coach. 

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

A 50% 3 shooter is significant.   how big is this guy?   is mom originally from Illinois?   seems like i remember an Amy Albers that went to either Mater Dei or Breese Central that was quite the athlete.   but that was awhile back so i might be mistaken.  

Mom is from Washington, Mo. St. Francis Borgia grad.  

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Mom is from Washington, Mo. St. Francis Borgia grad.  

Dang, good genetics:

"One of the most decorated student-athletes in WU history, volleyball standout Amy Albers Laczkowski (1995) won consensus Division III National Player of the Year honors in both 1993 and 1994 and was a three-time first-team All-American. A two-time first-team Academic All-American and the 1994 Academic All-American of the Year for college division volleyball, she is the NCAA all-divisions record holder for career hitting percentage.

Amy Albers Laczkowski (Marketing, 1995)—One of the most decorated student-athletes in Washington University history, Amy Albers Laczkowski also ranks as one of the greatest players in NCAA volleyball history.

She won consensus Division III National Player of the Year honors in both 1993 and 1994 and was a three-time first-team All-American. In three years at Washington U., she led the Bears to three consecutive national championships, including the first perfect season in Division III volleyball in 1992 (40-0).

Amy also holds the NCAA all-divisions records for hitting percentage in a career (.530) and single-season (.551). In addition to winning a gold medal at the 1994 U.S. Olympic Festival after being the first Division III athlete to compete, she won the Honda Award in 1995 as the top female athlete in Division III among all sports.

Amy was named the 1994 Academic All-American of the Year for college division volleyball and was a two-time first-team Academic All-American. She was named a "Today's Top Eight" honoree by the NCAA, was the 1994 NCAA Woman of the Year for the State of Missouri and finished as a Top 10 finalist for NCAA Woman of the Year honors.

Amy is the daughter of Cy and Lou Albers of Washington and the wife of former Washington University basketball player Tim Laczkowski."

22 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Dang, good genetics:

"One of the most decorated student-athletes in WU history, volleyball standout Amy Albers Laczkowski (1995) won consensus Division III National Player of the Year honors in both 1993 and 1994 and was a three-time first-team All-American. A two-time first-team Academic All-American and the 1994 Academic All-American of the Year for college division volleyball, she is the NCAA all-divisions record holder for career hitting percentage."

She won four straight state titles in high school and then four straight NCAA titles.  A ring for every finger. She's a boss.

billiken_roy and jimbofive like this

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

She won for straight state titles in high school and then four straight NCAA titles.  A ring for every finger. She's a boss.

*Creepy Post Alert*

This is (going to be ) a very tall family. I probably fall between the youngest  boy and the dog in terms of height. Let's get Andrew to commit next year and then his 2 brothers down the road.

Amy Albers Laczkowski

3 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

What level of player is he and what coaches are visiting?

Kobe is a 6'6-6'7 combo guard.  He's definitely a D1 prospect.  He had interest from Michigan as well as K State (with Luke signing I think that avenue might be closed...they need a big now).  He's the glue guy for Vashon...rebounds, defends, makes plays.  This year I think we'll see him score more.  Unfortunately,  his issue is he has left both AAU teams he has played on the past two summers limiting his exposure.  Michigan saw him this summer at a team camp and couldn't believe he didn't have more offers.  As for what schools are coming....I haven't heard anything definitively yet.  I just know coaches are able to visit next week.  They have open gyms for players not playing other sports.  Sometimes they have as many as 3-4 colleges in per day.  I use to go and watch a few years ago.  My schedule doesn't allow it now.  I hear Vashon will be loaded this coming year.  Great Freshman class.

Pistol, Zink and CBFan like this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I want this kid.  He played for the Adidas Gauntlet champions YGC36 team.  He really has been overshadowed to this point by his high school and AAU teammate Harrison Ingram.  Ingram is a top 25 recruit. In Gauntlet play Laczkowski tied Harrison as the team's leading scorer while shooting 50% from 3 (27-54). He was on campus when he received his offer.

His mother, Amy Albers Laczkowski, is a Borgia and Wash U grad.  She was the D3 female athlete of the year, two time D3 player of the year in volleyball, three time first team all-American, three time academic all-American and played on four national title winning teams.  His dad is Wash U grad and former basketball player, but not originally from the area.

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

*Creepy Post Alert*

This is (going to be ) a very tall family. I probably fall between the youngest  boy and the dog in terms of height. Let's get Andrew to commit next year and then his 2 brothers down the road.

Amy Albers Laczkowski

-a lot to like here, come on Andrew, Be a Billiken, Migrate to Where Winners Play

4 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

What a relief, new to the game. I promise I will do better with Tarris Reed.

Lets hope so. This isn't baseball, there is no 3 strikes your out.  Fail again and we have a guy for that also. Just want to make sure we are on the same page and you fully understand what's at stake

TheChosenOne likes this

New Rivals 150. Players with SLU offers who haven't eliminated us or committed elsewhere:

63. R.J. Davis (his finalists will come out soon and SLU won't be one)
67. Ryan Kalkbrenner (SLU isn't in this one, either)
96. Keon Ambrose-Hylton (SLU is one of ten finalists)
100. Jamal Mashburn, Jr. (I like this offer but I don't see us being a top-tier contender here)
115. Zed Key (He has a ton of offers and I don't think SLU will be in his visit plans)
126. Donte Houston, Jr. (SLU is one of ten finalists)
127. Martice Mitchell (SLU was an early offer but he got 6 power conference offers in August)
131. Davion Bradford (We know the story here; just went to K-State, Mizzou is next, and SLU *might* get the next one)
142. D.J. Gordon (Another crowded pool and I don't think we're a serious contender)

Dudley Blackwell dropped out of the rankings. Key and Mitchell are new additions.

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

New Rivals 150. Players with SLU offers who haven't eliminated us or committed elsewhere:

63. R.J. Davis (his finalists will come out soon and SLU won't be one)
67. Ryan Kalkbrenner (SLU isn't in this one, either)
96. Keon Ambrose-Hylton (SLU is one of ten finalists)
100. Jamal Mashburn, Jr. (I like this offer but I don't see us being a top-tier contender here)
115. Zed Key (He has a ton of offers and I don't think SLU will be in his visit plans)
126. Donte Houston, Jr. (SLU is one of ten finalists)
127. Martice Mitchell (SLU was an early offer but he got 6 power conference offers in August)
131. Davion Bradford (We know the story here; just went to K-State, Mizzou is next, and SLU *might* get the next one)
142. D.J. Gordon (Another crowded pool and I don't think we're a serious contender)

Dudley Blackwell dropped out of the rankings. Key and Mitchell are new additions.

Didn't realize Houston Jr. was rated that high. Based on your research and gut feeling, do you think we have a decent shot at landing him? Outside of Houston Jr. and Ambrose-Hylton,  it doesn't sound promising for the other players listed.

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Local kid Lamontay Daugherty may be one of our best big men options at this point. He's only 6'7 but considering we've only had one all-conference player in the last 25 years taller than that, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

iirc he doesn't play that big tho

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Local kid Lamontay Daugherty may be one of our best big men options at this point. He's only 6'7 but considering we've only had one all-conference player in the last 25 years taller than that, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Did anyone actually see Daugherty play this summer on that Ramey team on the prep hoops circuit?  That circuit got terrible coverage.  I heard he looked really good at their St Louis event, but outside of that it is hard to find anything.

33 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Didn't realize Houston Jr. was rated that high. Based on your research and gut feeling, do you think we have a decent shot at landing him? Outside of Houston Jr. and Ambrose-Hylton,  it doesn't sound promising for the other players listed.

Of Houston's ten "finalists", we're one of the higher-profile options and if he were going to spend his 5 official visits on his best offers, we'd get one and have a good shot at him.

The reason I put "finalists" in quotation marks, though, is that shortly after announcing his top ten, he tweeted that his recruitment was still open. So I think the top ten was really to eliminate only the other schools recruiting him up to that point, but that if bigger programs wanted to get involved now, he'd listen. And he might not be wrong - his finalists are pretty modest in stature compared to most top-150 players. He could wait until the spring and see what happens. And until I know whether he wants to get it done in a fall or spring timeline, it's hard to say what our chances are. Fall - sure, we can find a way to stand out here. Spring - the last PF from Texas we offered who decided to wait until spring ended up at Michigan State.

Ambrose-Hylton, on the other hand, has mostly power conference finalists and SLU is one of two A10 options there along with Dayton. We're a newer entrant and it's a tougher pool. Based on his comments to the media, he has an open mind to all 10 and sees them as relatively level at this point, but the trick here is getting a visit from him. Until I know what his OV schedule looks like, I'd put our chances at 10%.

22 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

iirc he doesn't play that big tho

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Did anyone actually see Daugherty play this summer on that Ramey team on the prep hoops circuit?  That circuit got terrible coverage.  I heard he looked really good at their St Louis event, but outside of that it is hard to find anything.

For a local recruit, he's been really tough to track. (It's been the same with Clark. Brian is right - if guys were playing for Ramey, SW IL Jets, or Gateway, there just wasn't much coverage at all.) He deleted his Twitter account earlier this year, he was on a little-covered AAU team while his Mehlville teammates won the highest-profile AAU title, and I think he spends his down time back in his hometown of DuQuoin, IL. It also doesn't help that a lot of people misspell his last name, so searching info about him is all the more challenging.

Unless you watched Mehlville this past season or will be following them this season, there's not a lot out there for a guy like me who isn't located in STL. That's why I have him in that category of local guys I just want to see more from.

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

For a local recruit, he's been really tough to track. (It's been the same with Clark. Brian is right - if guys were playing for Ramey, SW IL Jets, or Gateway, there just wasn't much coverage at all.) He deleted his Twitter account earlier this year, he was on a little-covered AAU team while his Mehlville teammates won the highest-profile AAU title, and I think he spends his down time back in his hometown of DuQuoin, IL. It also doesn't help that a lot of people misspell his last name, so searching info about him is all the more challenging.

Unless you watched Mehlville this past season or will be following them this season, there's not a lot out there for a guy like me who isn't located in STL. That's why I have him in that category of local guys I just want to see more from.

-from what I saw last season, Daugherty's game needed to improve to be a SLU level player, he has the body and certainly the athletic ability, just needs to be a better bball player which he may have become