Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

10 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

if Bradford goes to Kstate and Love goes to UNC, the highly anticipated local class of 2020 will have really put a hurting on all 3 local schools - Illinois being the 3rd 

It gets increasingly difficult to land kids once schools like Kentucky, North Carolina, and Kansas start calling and that became the case for the two can't miss (as in talents that clearly can produce at the high major level (I realize at elite programs it is hard to say any kid is can't miss since the rosters are so loaded)) local kids. While they are highly rated recruits, I think the next in line (Kalkbrenner, Bradford, and Kasubke) had varying degrees of interest from the local schools. So with neither SLU or Mizzou landing any other recruits, it certainly doesn't look good, but I am not sure they viewed all of these guys as primary targets. A few years from now we will know whether that next tier were significant misses for the local schools and whether they should have prioritized them accordingly. I think looking at Mizzou's roster, missing on Kalkbrenner and Bradford could look pretty bad down the road.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Like I said before, I'm still not sure about guys like Branson, Daughtery, or Clark - I just need to see more from each before saying one way or another. One of these guys or someone else entirely could be the next Mark Smith, who goes into his senior year mostly overlooked and emerges a high-major spring recruit. My guess is we're pretty much looking outside STL, though, to build a more surefire "bridge" class for 2020.

Kobe Clark is an interesting one for me, that is a kid that I will be tracking this winter. I haven't seen him and Vashon play often, but have been impressed the few times I have watched them and thought he had an intriguing skill set.

Any potential late bloomers across the river?

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Bradford isn’t coming to SLU. He’s not even sure he’s going to take an official to SLU. 

Not sure why he would waste an official to SLU in the first place.  He doesn't need a place to stay of transportation costs covered.

10 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Kobe Clark is an interesting one for me, that is a kid that I will be tracking this winter. I haven't seen him and Vashon play often, but have been impressed the few times I have watched them and thought he had an intriguing skill set.

On the MO side, I'm looking at Clark, Branson, and Daughtery - all guys we've offered, so no surprises - but also Jayce Catchings and Matteus Case, although you could argue whether he's actually a local prospect or not.

On the IL side, I would've said Ray'Sean Taylor but he narrowed his list to Wright State, Milwaukee, Indiana State, SIUC, and SIUE.

I know I'm missing more 2020 guys, but this is just off the top of my head.

My question is who becomes this year's Mark Smith, the lightly recruited player who blows up over the course of his senior year. I think a few of these guys have that potential. I'm not sure who's worth taking a chance on right now, though.

15 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Is this guy related to Kasubke or what?

of course he roots for a second rate sec school that is afraid to play slu.   ironically it is the billikens that have nothing to gain by playing mi$$ouri.

wouldnt we all love to see tillmon and french match up?  hahahaha

and program quitters smith's vs goodwin?   hillarious.

mckinney handling the ball is always quite the adventure.

wat who?

this guy is delusional and the example why we hate the mi$$ouri fans.

16 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

It gets increasingly difficult to land kids once schools like Kentucky, North Carolina, and Kansas start calling and that became the case for the two can't miss (as in talents that clearly can produce at the high major level (I realize at elite programs it is hard to say any kid is can't miss since the rosters are so loaded)) local kids. While they are highly rated recruits, I think the next in line (Kalkbrenner, Bradford, and Kasubke) had varying degrees of interest from the local schools. So with neither SLU or Mizzou landing any other recruits, it certainly doesn't look good, but I am not sure they viewed all of these guys as primary targets. A few years from now we will know whether that next tier were significant misses for the local schools and whether they should have prioritized them accordingly. I think looking at Mizzou's roster, missing on Kalkbrenner and Bradford could look pretty bad down the road.

I think it was over before it ever even started for the local schools with Kalkbrenner.  In two months he went from having no D1 offers after his junior season to having PAC 12, Big 10, ACC and Big East offers. You get stars in your eyes and really feel no attachment to the local schools who showed no interest until you blew up.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

3star's point about "bridge recruits" is an important one. These are the guys we never seem to land, which makes sustaining success both in Tournament appearances and consecutive classes of local recruits really difficult. So if we miss out on Bradford, too, we're left with the next tier of local recruits.

There are plenty of D-I players yet but if we take chances on guys who don't pan out, we're doing ourselves no favors with disgruntled local kids riding the bench. And if we let offers go stale, or don't offer, or miss a late bloomer, we risk more "could've had so and so" narratives. We're getting close to the lose-lose tier of higher risk players. Like I said before, I'm still not sure about guys like Branson, Daughtery, or Clark - I just need to see more from each before saying one way or another. One of these guys or someone else entirely could be the next Mark Smith, who goes into his senior year mostly overlooked and emerges a high-major spring recruit. My guess is we're pretty much looking outside STL, though, to build a more surefire "bridge" class for 2020.

It could very well be an empty year for SLU, Mizzou, and Illinois locally. SEMO just got a commitment from Phillip Russell (Vashon), though, and they're every bit as local as Illinois or Mizzou.

It's looking that way.  As you pointed out, we're still in the mix for a couple of Chicago guys.  If the goal is to land a bridge recruit, Ramean Hinton had the best summer out of all the mid-major guards left on our board.  He's more a scorer than a shooter at this point.  He defends, rebounds, slashes, hits free throws and can knock down a 3 if you leave him open.  Reminds me of Moe Jeffers. 

It might be worth rolling the dice to see if Hinton could develop into a slightly better three-point shooter.  He's in the mid-thirties now.  He's got everything else.

Pistol likes this

35 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

French would destroy Tilmon. AJ Epenesa took him apart in HS, and he doesn’t play basketball any more. As for the other matchups, it would be nice to settle it on the floor...but I think we have a better chance of playing the Chicago Bulls.

Epenessa could have been a good college basketball player if he would have concentrated on it. Considering he will probably be a top 10 NFL draft pick, he made the right choice.

14 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

I wouldn't get too worked up about this guy committing KState. Is he really going to play ahead of Jimmerson these next few years? If Jimmerson is what Ford says he is, this guy is looking out for playing time. 

You havent seen luke have you?

20 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

That's a lazy answer. You can absolutely have them both out there at the same time. They arent that similar of players other than that they're both white 

Call it what you want. But my guess with Jimmerson and Hargrove as a 2-3 combo for the next few years, it's not a huge loss. That being said, no you never want to lose out of local talent that can contribute. Obviously, we'll see how it plays out.

I am thrilled  we have jimmerson (just for you bau)  he is going to bring an aspect to billiken basketball we have rarely seen.  A pure shooter.  

That said I believe Luke would have been jimmerson+.   Luke is closer to a complete player AND a shooter.  

However now nothing more than a tool.  Does he know he has to wear purple?  What a tool 

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

That's a lazy answer. You can absolutely have them both out there at the same time. They arent that similar of players other than that they're both white 

When he transfers to SLU after a year or two, it will help minimize the Jimmerson overlap.

CBFan likes this

11 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

This is true, I will shoulder the blame on this one if the choice is Kansas State (who wants to be in Manhattan, KS?!?!). I guess I should wait to ask the question, but do I request that he return the $?

No. Me and Box have a guy. He'll get the cash back and the vig

7 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Good call.  With Phillip Russell and Fletcher both committed,  Kobe's up next.  College coaches will be visiting next week