Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointing, but we have options. Other names to monitor:

Andrew Laczkowski - He's about Luke's size and also plays the wing, but he's a much later bloomer recruiting profile-wise. He's got 11 offers and SLU is probably the highest level one at this point. We offered last month and the coaches went down to visit him. This must have been a big deal to him because the SLU offer is his pinned tweet, even though others have come after. He's an excellent shooter - maybe better than Kasubke - although his all-around offensive game isn't as strong and Kasubke is a better athlete. He's a smart, efficient player and has some potential. I'm keeping a close watch on this one.

Jackson Sivills - We offered quite a while back and his recruitment has been pretty mid-major all the way through. He just took an official visit to Furman, his first. I don't know where he'll go for the rest, but Belmont, Wofford, and Murray State are all involved. I also don't know if we've kept up with him - just that it might make sense to try to get an OV from him now. He's also about the same size as Kasubke and Laczkowski. He's a big-time scoring lefty who can also fill it up from outside. He's had plenty of higher-level programs sniffing around but none have pulled the trigger with offers. He's a Western Kentucky kid and I wouldn't mind Ford making a push here.

Cody Potter - Speaking of KY kids, Potter is from the other side of the state and we've already had him on campus for an unofficial visit. Yet another similar-looking player to Sivills, Kasubke, and Laczkowski, and yet another sniper. His numbers are outstanding from three - >42% in each of his first three HS seasons - and the question with a kid from this area is always level of competition. Eastern Kentucky is his only offer at this point and I know a dozen or so others are showing interest. With his scoring ability, he's an attractive option who should still be available in the spring.

Markhi Strickland - He's bigger than any of the other players on this list and I'm not sure what role SLU would envision him in. But I know the staff likes him and we're still involved. Only issue is that his profile is rising quickly. He's taking unofficial visits to LSU and Georgia, while Arkansas, Michigan, and Georgetown are trying to get him out for visits.

Antoine Bloxton - He's smaller and has one of the most enigmatic recruitments of any player I've tracked, but he's a tough Chicago guard who can really score and defend. I think he's another who will be around in the spring and I wouldn't be surprised if his recruitment takes a jump by then.

Kobe Elvis - Canadian combo guard and our most recent offer. He scores on all three levels and has a wide-ranging skill set. His favorites haven't come into focus yet so I'll be watching closely.

Baylor Hebb - Elite shooter from Texas who lacks size but has a lot of craftiness and scoring punch. He has piled up offers lately, too. It's a crowded pool but not a ton of big-time names yet.

Ramean Hinton - Another tough guard from Chicago who can score it and plays with a lot of confidence. He's taking an OV to SEMO this weekend. He's a gamer.

Dallas Howell - He's another guy in the mold of Kasubke, Sivills, Laczkowski. Excellent shooter, left handed, deceptive athlete. He seems to have a good all-around feel for the game. Good student who already has a 30 on his ACT. But his recruitment stalled out this year as he's still sitting with a leg injury. Because of that, he could be a sneaky good get for someone. He only has a few offers and SLU is the top one.

Dylan Branson, Lamontay Daughtery, and Kobe Clark are all local players with SLU offers who are worth keeping an eye on. I know many have debated their abilities and potential and I'm hoping to see more of them this season.

A.J. James, Tristan Maxwell, Jamal Mashburn Jr., Melvin Edwards, Eric Butler, and Dudley Blackwell are all guards/wings we've offered but I don't know where we stand with them currently. There are a few others out there who I'm pretty sure we've moved on from.

More to come. Point is, we have a lot of options who might not represent a major drop-off from Kasubke.

bauman, Zink, TheDude and 2 others like this

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Weber and Lowery own St Louis right now. 

-did your account get hacked? this seems out of character for you 

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

They do in years where we don't have playing time to offer.  We got Goodwin, Gordon, Yuri and Hargrove when we had plenty of minutes to offer.  We'll see how KState does in 2021 when we have three starters graduate.

-and there are other kids from StL not going to the little apple

-we missed on a kid, it happens, but Pistol has a nice summary of possibilities, CFord and the Staff will find players that want to Be Billikens

24 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

well we should have expected such.  i mean manhattan kansas is such a strong well reknown catholic center and with his family's reputed strong need for staying connected to Catholicism   oh hell i dont even believe this nonsense.  i agree tool 

-this comes from where?

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

They do in years where we don't have playing time to offer.  We got Goodwin, Gordon, Yuri and Hargrove when we had plenty of minutes to offer.  We'll see how KState does in 2021 when we have three starters graduate.

I kinda get what you're saying, but I think a lot of HS kids think they are better than the players already there and they can beat out existing players for PT. 

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-and there are other kids from StL not going to the little apple

-we missed on a kid, it happens, but Pistol has a nice summary of possibilities, CFord and the Staff will find players that want to Be Billikens

If Ford can't get a St. Louis kid, I assume he can't be got.  The issue is yet another bridge recruit has signed elsewhere.  When our core group graduates, we're at risk of a couple of off years until the new group establishes themselves.  That's SLU tradition, regardless of who the coach is.  

In Ford we trust, so I'm sure we'll get a shooter.  But we haven't been able to sign a top 150 caliber guard outside of our region.  The staff will have to sign the best sleeper we can get and hope he blossoms.

After X dropped out, this is a kid we should have got.  His whole family does Catholic missionary trips.  Every other member of the immediate family went to or currently attends a Catholic university.

TheChosenOne likes this

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

After X dropped out, this is a kid we should have got.  His whole family does Catholic missionary trips.  Every other member of the immediate family went to or currently attends a Catholic university.

-and this proves or shows that Weber and Lowery own St Louis right now?

When I was reading about all the unofficial visits he was making to K-State I seriously doubted his real interest in us or Loyola.  He may have just kept us and them in the mix to satisfy his parents - who knows.  Kids are going to go where they want to go regardless of all the supposed factors that would pull them a different direction.  We have heard this tune about wanting to be close to home and a place that their parents could see them play before.  Kids say this but until they actually sign to attend a school that really is close to home you can take the words and quarter and buy a cup of coffee as the old saying goes - I guess now it is $3.  All of a sudden being close to home is 6 hours away - go figure.

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

There is always a black sheep in the family.  Honestly, I am not sure not going to a Catholic school is such a terrible thing.

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Instead of giving him a duffle bag of cash maybe we should have offered to make a charitable donation in his name!

This miss is more on the board than on Ford.

SLU_Lax likes this

20 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Ford can't get a St. Louis kid, I assume he can't be got.  The issue is yet another bridge recruit has signed elsewhere.  When our core group graduates, we're at risk of a couple of off years until the new group establishes themselves.  That's SLU tradition, regardless of who the coach is.  

In Ford we trust, so I'm sure we'll get a shooter.  But we haven't been able to sign a top 150 caliber guard outside of our region.  The staff will have to sign the best sleeper we can get and hope he blossoms.

Are not Hargrove, Jimmerson, and Yuri bridge players?

bauman, cgeldmacher and SLU_Lax like this

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

When I was reading about all the unofficial visits he was making to K-State I seriously doubted his real interest in us or Loyola.  He may have just kept us and them in the mix to satisfy his parents - who knows.  

This

K-State, Power 5 conference, big-time football, easier academics. You’re on a recruiting visit and all that is in front of you? Easy choice. Now, let’s find some diamonds in the rough and get commitments before they draw attention to themselves.

8 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-and this proves or shows that Weber and Lowery own St Louis right now?

They have three guys on their roster going into this season from St Louis that have played a combined 203 games for them and a top 150 recruit from St. Louis being added to the roster next season. SLU has Goodwin and Hargrove with a combined 62 games played.

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

When I was reading about all the unofficial visits he was making to K-State I seriously doubted his real interest in us or Loyola.  He may have just kept us and them in the mix to satisfy his parents - who knows.  Kids are going to go where they want to go regardless of all the supposed factors that would pull them a different direction.  We have heard this tune about wanting to be close to home and a place that their parents could see them play before.  Kids say this but until they actually sign to attend a school that really is close to home you can take the words and quarter and buy a cup of coffee as the old saying goes - I guess now it is $3.  All of a sudden being close to home is 6 hours away - go figure.

Kasubke never said that it was important to play in front of his family.  Some board members were projecting their narrative onto him.  If a kid really wants to stay at home, he'll declare it at some point.  You won't have to guess.

39 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-this comes from where?

feel free to go back and read this thread.   it was mentioned months ago that a catholic college was so important to the family.   

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

They have three guys on their roster going into this season from St Louis that have played a combined 203 games for them and a top 150 recruit from St. Louis being added to the roster next season. SLU has Goodwin and Hargrove with a combined 62 games played.

-if you are projecting a player to KSt a year from now who has yet to sign anything binding him but then don't mention Collins and Hargrove on our roster for this season that is disingenuous at the least  

-if you are projecting a player to KSt a year from now who has yet to sign anything binding him but then don't mention Collins and Hargrove on our roster for this season that is disingenuous at the least  

I forgot to add Collins for some reason, but Hargrove is in my post.

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Kasubke never said that it was important to play in front of his family.  Some board members were projecting their narrative onto him.  If a kid really wants to stay at home, he'll declare it at some point.  You won't have to guess.

After my first  two sentences the rest of the post was just in general and not meant to be specific to Kasubke.

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Nope.  By bridge, I mean continuing the string of consecutive NCAA appearances.  Because of Situation 2, they were robbed of that opportunity.  This year is a rebuilding year.  

Sit 2 plus losing Gordon and Santos really hurt the recruiting momentum Ford had going.  We ended up spending time scrambling to find players.  That was time that could have been focused on our prime recruiting targets.

Adman, Zink, TheChosenOne and 1 other like this