Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

Porter will for sure roll out the 100 year old nun and cook our goose. 

I have no feel for his recruitment, but don't think Luke's  gonna be a guy Travis signs after his SLU OV. 

No because signing date isn't until November. We'll see how it plays out. I have a hard time thinking he'd choose Loyola over SLU though.

17 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

No because signing date isn't until November. We'll see how it plays out. I have a hard time thinking he'd choose Loyola over SLU though.

Some kids just want to go to school out of town.  That is how he ends up at Loyola or a hell hole like Manhattan, KS .........

rgbilliken likes this

If this kid and family are so keen and devote and goon missions, I can understand the religious connection of a Loyola or Creighton or us.  But Kansas State?

If this family wants to see their son play college basketball, there is us, five hours to Chicago, five plus hours to Manhattan and six plus hours to Omaha.  Hmmm.

His sister plays softball at Loyola, too. Moser has also been prioritizing him since very early in his recruitment. They're a serious contender here.

He has compressed three official visits to basically 9 days, and they seem to be his top 3 unless another someone else is operating unusually quietly, or if another major program swoops in hard in short order.

If he's looking primarily at these three and hoping to sign in the fall, I like how it's shaping up.

On 7/5/2019 at 12:05 PM, courtside said:

Top 5 National recruit, small forward, Jalen Johnson committed to Duke yesterday. His high school team, Milwaukee Nicolet (which has several other talented players) will return again this year to the Highland Shootout to face Vashon. There are more than a dozen top 100 players participating in the 2020 Highland Shootout:

Highland G v Greenville G
Highland B v Triad B
Tolton (Columbia) Mater Dei
DeSmet v Collinsville
Mehlville v Trinity
Whitney Young (Chicago) v Chaminade
Nicolet (Milwaukee) v Vashon
CBC v Sussex Hamilton (Milwaukee)

For those interested in attending the Highland Shootout, there has been a change. Chicago Simeon will be replacing Milwaukee Nicolet in the game vs Vashon. Recently, Nicolet lost a few players to transfer.  Duke commit Jalen Johnson is transferring to IMG Academy for his Senior season.  Also Jamari Sibley top 100 2020 recruit, Jamari Sibley is transferring to Oak Hill Academy. 

Simeon lost star Sophomore AJ Casey to transfer recently. (living with his mom in Tinley Park) But they still have several other D-1 caliber players on their team. 

15 hours ago, courtside said:

For those interested in attending the Highland Shootout, there has been a change. Chicago Simeon will be replacing Milwaukee Nicolet in the game vs Vashon. Recently, Nicolet lost a few players to transfer.  Duke commit Jalen Johnson is transferring to IMG Academy for his Senior season.  Also Jamari Sibley top 100 2020 recruit, Jamari Sibley is transferring to Oak Hill Academy. 

Simeon lost star Sophomore AJ Casey to transfer recently. (living with his mom in Tinley Park) But they still have several other D-1 caliber players on their team. 

From SLU's perspective, this event just became more relevant because Simeon has Ahamad Bynum, who has a SLU offer. SLU isn't recruiting anyone on Nicolet, and with the transfers, any outsider appeal of watching Nicolet is basically gone now, anyway.

Luke sounds like a great player.   Might he have similar skills not just to Perkins but also to Jimerson?   We are certainly reloading this year and next, we will only lose Tay Weaver after this year (and we have the unfilled scholarship).   Will be a tough year to recruit/land players as we won't know very much more about all of our new players by this Fall signing period.   Playing time can always be earned but playing time on next year's team might be even more difficult than this year - which will not be easy either.   

Winning year after year will take care our inability to land "bridge" scholarship players (who are more likely this year's class rather than next year's class) as SLU has historically been a school which rebuilds with a new coach/playing time and then the coach retires, is fired, dies or leaves.  Very few talented players (and Luke is probably one of them) want to sit on the bench of a program which does not win year in and year out.  We found a way to get to the NCAA Tournament last year - and need to find a way this year to keep the winning alive.   Butler, Gonzaga, Xavier, Creighton found a way to make the NCAA Tourney even in year's when they were not favored or expected -- like this year for us.

18 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Luke sounds like a great player.   Might he have similar skills not just to Perkins but also to Jimerson?   We are certainly reloading this year and next, we will only lose Tay Weaver after this year (and we have the unfilled scholarship).   Will be a tough year to recruit/land players as we won't know very much more about all of our new players by this Fall signing period.   Playing time can always be earned but playing time on next year's team might be even more difficult than this year - which will not be easy either.   

Winning year after year will take care our inability to land "bridge" scholarship players (who are more likely this year's class rather than next year's class) as SLU has historically been a school which rebuilds with a new coach/playing time and then the coach retires, is fired, dies or leaves.  Very few talented players (and Luke is probably one of them) want to sit on the bench of a program which does not win year in and year out.  We found a way to get to the NCAA Tournament last year - and need to find a way this year to keep the winning alive.   Butler, Gonzaga, Xavier, Creighton found a way to make the NCAA Tourney even in year's when they were not favored or expected -- like this year for us.

-can you point us to some years where this happened for these programs so we can compare that to our status for this season?

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

From SLU's perspective, this event just became more relevant because Simeon has Ahamad Bynum, who has a SLU offer. SLU isn't recruiting anyone on Nicolet, and with the transfers, any outsider appeal of watching Nicolet is basically gone now, anyway.

Ahamad Bynum is the nephew of former NBA player Will Bynum. (Arizona Georgia Tech) and former Chicago high school star.

He plays with Mac Irvin Fire. He’s a scorer that likes to play on the ball. Undersized 6’1 plus ish two guard with athleticism and strength. His build is similar to his uncle but a little longer/taller and not as bulked up.  Can shoot it or drive, mostly right hand. Decent passer, becoming more of a combo guard. He can and does throw it down off of the wing or transition.  Can fill it up sometimes. Simeon has a handful of players similar sized style guards. 

SLU, Illinois, DePaul, UIC, Nebraska, Mizzou all with offers. Had a lot of Iowa St. Interest, some others. 

Pistol likes this

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Situation 2 destroyed any chance of 2019 being a bridge class. The Sit 2 guys, along with Goodwin and French, would have led us to our 2nd consecutive bid last season.  Then Goodwin, French, Bishop and the 2019 class would lead us to our third consecutive bid this year. Then the 2019 class ... and so on.

Instead we're in a rebuilding year where our only hope is winning the A-10 tournament again against tougher competition. Thanks to Situation 2, we're three years behind where we could be.

slu72, bauman and Zink like this

21 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

I like how Jimerson is wearing R. Gray's old number and Perkins has Bess' #3.  Hopefully both will be able to perform like RG and JB, two of my all-time Billiken favorites

Edited by bauman

31 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I love that SLU has 0-3 covered. I don’t know why. 

12 minutes ago, bauman said:

I like how Jimerson is wearing R. Gray's old number and Perkins has Bess' #3.  Hopefully both will be able to perform like RG and JB, two of my all-time Billiken favorites

I posted a jersey number roundup if you guys are interested: 

@RiseAndGrind, I also like that. My last line of the post linked here: "Fun fact: Last season appears to be the only time SLU's roster featured numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 simultaneously."

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Does anyone know if Ty Weaver enrolled at SLU? I do not see his name in the roster.

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

He is enrolled and practicing. Very weird there’s been no announcement. 

40 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

VerbalCommits has also been updated as of today with Weaver as enrolled and on the roster. It also shows Raboin as using the last scholarship, giving us 2 for next season. It previously showed Courtney as using the scholarship, with 1 available for next season. Nice to have this corrected so the current scholarship chart is available as an easy visual.

45 minutes ago, bauman said:

I'm glad to see Raboin getting a scholarship for his senior year.  He has been around the program for a few years and invested many hours on the practice court, when bodies were needed for scrimmages.  Congrats and thanks, Jack.

I don't know if this is official yet or not, just what they're showing. I'm fairly certain he'll get it, since we're almost officially out of time to add anyone else this year and he's the other senior on the roster.