Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

How else are you going to list a final 10 if you don't have 10 high major offers? These kids are ridiculous. I respect the Fussell kid more. He listed us in his "final" 5, then swapped us for Dayton a day later. None of this final 10 stuff.

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The kid had a total of 12 known P-5 and Big East offers.

Yeah, he was over 10 power offers at the time he released his top 10. Not including the 3 A10 offers, he's still got 7 in there. I also agree that it's a pretty interesting list, pretty spread out geographically and conference-wise. This might have to do with him being from Canada and not favoring a particular region or conference because he didn't grow up with, say, SEC-heavy coverage.

Personally, I'm not a fan of larger lists because you only get 5 official visits and by the time you're planning those, you should really have an idea of where the mutual priorities are. I understand if it's a top 6 or 7 because maybe there are a couple schools that won't get OVs but that a recruit has visited a couple times already, or they're local, or something like that. But even with a top 10, a few of those schools aren't looking at him as a top priority and vice-versa.

Another factor here is how recently his recruitment has blown up. He had 6 offers in 2018 and most of the rest are from the past two months - including over half of his top 10. So I'm curious whether he takes some time to get more acquainted with these programs or if he has a great visit early and cuts it off.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN's updated rankings are out today for 2020, 2021, and 2022.

Players in the 2020 top 100 with SLU offers:
39. R.J. Davis (I expect him to release a list soon, and SLU won't be on it.)
47. Matthew Murrell (He might take longer to list his finalists, but SLU isn't in this one, either.)
57. Keon Ambrose-Hylton (We're in his top 10.)
90. Dudley Blackwell
94. Kadary Richmond
96. Jamal Mashburn, Jr.
97. Ryan Kalkbrenner

Players who had SLU offers and either didn't include the Bills on their lists or have committed elsewhere:
18. Nimari Burnett
23. Caleb Love
25. D.J. Steward
29. Mark Williams
44. Cam'Ron Fletcher (Kentucky)
50. Xavier Foster
51. Dain Dainja (Baylor)
63. L.J. Cryer (Baylor)
64. Deivon Smith
78. Davonte Davis (Oklahoma State)

The only SLU offer in the top 100 to drop out is Davion Bradford, who was 85th before the update.

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

ESPN's updated rankings are out today for 2020, 2021, and 2022.

Players in the 2020 top 100 with SLU offers:
39. R.J. Davis (I expect him to release a list soon, and SLU won't be on it.)
47. Matthew Murrell (He might take longer to list his finalists, but SLU isn't in this one, either.)
57. Keon Ambrose-Hylton (We're in his top 10.)
90. Dudley Blackwell
94. Kadary Richmond
96. Jamal Mashburn, Jr.
97. Ryan Kalkbrenner

Players who had SLU offers and either didn't include the Bills on their lists or have committed elsewhere:
18. Nimari Burnett
23. Caleb Love
25. D.J. Steward
29. Mark Williams
44. Cam'Ron Fletcher (Kentucky)
50. Xavier Foster
51. Dain Dainja (Baylor)
63. L.J. Cryer (Baylor)
64. Deivon Smith
78. Davonte Davis (Oklahoma State)

The only SLU offer in the top 100 to drop out is Davion Bradford, who was 85th before the update.

-wow, Kalkbrenner has moved ahead of Bradford, at least by some margin, in this ranking, kid had a very profitable summer

WOULD LOVE TO GET HIM TO CONTINUE THE RECENT TRADITION OF GETTING ONE OF THE TOP PLAYERS FROM THE STL AREA IN A BILLIKEN UNIFORM. 

COME ON LUKE WE WANT YOU TO BE A PART OF TEAM BLUE.  HE WOULD BE A BIG STEP ONE IN OUR TARGET 2020 RECRUITING CLASS.  STEP TWO WOULD BE A BIG WHO CAN SHOOT FROM 10 - 15 FEET AND PLAY THE 4 OR FILL IN BEHIND JB AND MD AT THE 5 IF NECESSARY AFTER HF LEAVES.  i THINK WE ARE GOOD AT THE 1,2 AND 3 POSITIONS FOR THIS UPCOMING RECRUITING CLASS

2 minutes ago, bauman said:

WOULD LOVE TO GET HIM TO CONTINUE THE RECENT TRADITION OF GETTING ONE OF THE TOP PLAYERS FROM THE STL AREA IN A BILLIKEN UNIFORM. 

COME ON LUKE WE WANT YOU TO BE A PART OF TEAM BLUE.  HE WOULD BE A BIG STEP ONE IN OUR TARGET 2020 RECRUITING CLASS.  STEP TWO WOULD BE A BIG WHO CAN SHOOT FROM 10 - 15 FEET AND PLAY THE 4 OR FILL IN BEHIND JB AND MD AT THE 5 IF NECESSARY AFTER HF LEAVES.  i THINK WE ARE GOOD AT THE 1,2 AND 3 POSITIONS FOR THIS UPCOMING RECRUITING CLASS

ALL CAPS ENERGY. I LOVE IT. I TOO, WOULD ALSO LOVE HOW MUCH STL FLAVOR THE TEAM WOULD HAVE. 

Billnation08 likes this

I still think Kasubke goes to Kansas State but I hope he considers this: Dajuan Gordon, Weber's star recruit from last year, was impressive at Team USA trials this summer.  He has the makings of a 4 year starter.  And there will be at least three upperclassmen vying for the other guard spot by this time next year.  The path to minutes is more open at SLU.  Weaver's gone after one year and Goodwin and Perkins are gone after two.

Bills_06 and Pistol like this

It might be a smart strategy to have some of our Chaminade alums drop off the bag of cash for this recruit.  @slufanskip and I are busy anyway.

Guys, just remember to paint a large dollar sign on the bag before you fill it with cash.  That part is key.  We also usually cinch the top with a rope, but that's not a requirement - it just adds a little extra flair.

9 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

It might be a smart strategy to have some of our Chaminade alums drop off the bag of cash for this recruit.  @slufanskip and I are busy anyway.

Guys, just remember to paint a large dollar sign on the bag before you fill it with cash.  That part is key.  We also usually cinch the top with a rope, but that's not a requirement - it just adds a little extra flair.

I think @Pistolis picking up @TheChosenOneon his way in from Cinci. SLU’s recruitment is in your hands, dudes. 

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I think @Pistolis picking up @TheChosenOneon his way in from Cinci. SLU’s recruitment is in your hands, dudes. 

Excellent news on Kasubke.

I agree with Rise

7512 5b31

4 hours ago, Box and Won said:

I drop off at pillar every morning, I’ve yet to have my “free” meal when I graduated... I’ll have Mr Thornburg send him down the hill...

Pistol likes this

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

im not familiar with Kasubke other than he goes to chaminade.  Based on what ive heard, he seems like a Jimerson type, correct? Maybe a perkins?  

Good question. Hopefully the locals will fill us in on his game. 

There are plenty of Kasubke highlights on YouTube - go watch them! - but I like this one as a relatively recent and well-rounded look at what he does offensively.

He and Jimerson are about the same height, but Luke is longer, leaner, and a little more athletic. Jimerson is a better shooter. That's not taking away anything from Kasubke, who is an excellent shooter in his own right, but Jimerson is probably the best pure shooter SLU has ever signed.

He can fill it up - he dropped 50 against Parkway North in late December - and not just when he's feeling it from 3. He has a good sense of spacing and timing. He can put it on the deck when he's closely guarded at the perimeter and finish strong, stop and pop, or find his teammates. He gets to the line a good amount and he's consistent from there. When Jimerson had those 40+ point games this past season, he was hitting at least 9 3-pointers in each of them. Kasubke's 50-piece featured 7 3-pointers. There's just a bit more variety to his game at this point. He's also played a high level of competition in both HS and AAU. In terms of rankings, he's currently 144 per Rivals, 107 per Prep Hoops, and 187 per 247Sports.

His coach at Chaminade talks about him as a tireless worker who takes care of his academics and has a strong family support structure. His oldest sister plays softball at Loyola-Chicago and the other one is at Boston College but stopped playing sports despite being a pretty good basketball player.

Xavier had been one of his leaders for a long time but they're fully subscribed for 2020 after the Colby Jones commitment. K-State and Loyola are in play and I tend to find the most chatter about K-State. Part of that is because they're a power-conference school and there are just more outlets and fans, but part of it is that they're a leader for his services. I also think Illinois and Nebraska might be in the mix, but I can't get a good sense of how high a priority he is for them. Mizzou offered but I don't think he's a priority for them. He's had plenty of other power-conference schools sniffing around - Wisconsin, Northwestern, Stanford, Purdue, more - but they haven't pulled the trigger with offers, for whatever reason. And I figured after his run with MOKAN, big HS season last year - he's had some periods when more offers could/should have arrived and just didn't.

We're official visit #1. K-State will be #2 next weekend. He said a few weeks ago that he wants to announce finalists soon. I don't expect a huge list, but maybe he just commits to one of those two in short order, anyway.

We're looking for a scorer and a big for this class. He can score. As 3star said earlier, there is a serious opportunity for him here and K-State's a little more crowded. He's not a kid you worry about off the court. This is a high-character team and he'd fit well in the culture here.

Spirits are usually pretty high among the student body on move-in weekend. Should be a fun atmosphere for a visit. I'm hoping he's still shooting for a fall commitment and November signing, and let's all hope he has a great weekend.