Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

It's about time! Once I saw his name, I supported us offering him sight unseen.

I added him to the interest list when I noticed that our coaches were tracking him. Here's his bio, updated last week:

Kobe Elvis - PG, 6-2, 180 - Brampton, ON (Southwest Academy at Regina Mundi) - AAU: Northern Kings (Under Armour Rise) - Twitter: @KobeElvis
Offers: Massachusetts, Richmond, Iowa State, TCU, Wyoming, Buffalo, Akron, Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Drake, Morehead State, Loyola-Maryland, Weber State, Robert Morris, Mount St. Mary's, NJIT.

Interest: Saint Louis, Dayton, Clemson, SMU, Tulane, Colorado State, SIU-Carbondale, Illinois State, Princeton, Toledo, Ball State, Morehead State, Charleston, Towson, Georgia State, Arkansas State, South Dakota, UC-Santa Barbara, Montana, Montana State, Weber State, Southeastern Louisiana, McNeese State, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Incarnate Word, New Hampshire, Bryant, Mount St. Mary's, Seattle.

Latest News: Elvis received an offer from Iowa State. (8/9/19)

Scouting Report: Elvis is an athletic, competitive point guard who can pile up points. He scores on all three levels and has a terrific stroke. He controls pace, has speed, shows extraordinary vision and passing, and plays extremely tough defense. He has good length and rebounds the guard position well. He's an AAU teammate of fellow Ontario native Matteus Case (Chaminade).

How often do you think Gus would call him Cody Ellis?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Question, any idea how common it is for programs to oversubscribe on paper?

Definitely a weekend I will be an even bigger loser monitoring the Twitter accounts of high school kids.

It's not nearly as much of a thing in basketball as it is in football. Coaches are managing 13 scholarships so it's pretty tight. Recruits also like to see that they have a spot.

Sometimes I see a team oversubscribed by one or even two. It doesn't happen a ton, and usually you can point to a situation where a player or players is known to be leaving or already on the way out - but that isn't always officially announced, so fans might be left wondering what the long term plan is with 14 scholarships on paper for an upcoming season.

I wanted to check this right now on VerbalCommits but because the classes just shifted over, there aren't a ton of 2020 commitments yet and no one would be oversubscribed yet.

34 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It's not nearly as much of a thing in basketball as it is in football. Coaches are managing 13 scholarships so it's pretty tight. Recruits also like to see that they have a spot.

Sometimes I see a team oversubscribed by one or even two. It doesn't happen a ton, and usually you can point to a situation where a player or players is known to be leaving or already on the way out - but that isn't always officially announced, so fans might be left wondering what the long term plan is with 14 scholarships on paper for an upcoming season.

I wanted to check this right now on VerbalCommits but because the classes just shifted over, there aren't a ton of 2020 commitments yet and no one would be oversubscribed yet.

This is the thing I think fans always have trouble understanding. The coaches know their scholarship situation much more than the public. So just because things aren't reported doesn't mean they don't already know if there will be attrition.

3 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

I believe you were thinking SLU was more of a fallback school for him so you think that puts us up there with Kstate or still behind?  

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Kasubke doesn't commit to KState shortly after his official visit.  He was just there on an unofficial visit a few months ago and they're the only official visit he has scheduled.

I don't think these are his official finalists, but we're very much in the mix for Markhi Strickland:

New Mexico State is his latest offer. Not a bad program but they play in one of the worst (and by far the weirdest) conferences. He transferred from IMG Academy to Victory Rock Prep.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I don't think these are his official finalists, but we're very much in the mix for Markhi Strickland:

New Mexico State is his latest offer. Not a bad program but they play in one of the worst (and by far the weirdest) conferences. He transferred from IMG Academy to Victory Rock Prep.

A small forward. We are making offers to a variety of positions, but I expect a big would be a priority for one of the spots. Interesting list of schools. Kinda all over the place.

13 minutes ago, ACE said:

A small forward. We are making offers to a variety of positions, but I expect a big would be a priority for one of the spots. Interesting list of schools. Kinda all over the place.

-yep, very interesting and all over not only in geography but level of play, or at least my perception of their level

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Man it feels like FOREVER since we've had any real substantive recruiting news. 

(Yes I know Tay Weaver committed like a month ago)

It doesn't feel like we're close on a commitment. It's still early, so certainly not the end of the world. And with only two scholarships to give at this point, it's ok to be very selective. It's just different from previous Ford recruiting classes where he would get some very early commitments.

Right now we have two scholarships available for 2020, by the end of the season we may have more than two scholarships available and the coach may be able to promise some playing time. Besides, there is nothing wrong with finding that player that really wants to be a Billiken and is willing to work hard a wait a bit to get his playing time. Two players that I think fit that description are French and Jimerson.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/08/19/keon-ambrose-hylton-cuts-list-to-ten/

SLU on Keon Ambrose-Hylton’s top ten. 

He is down to Arkansas, Arizona State, California, Clemson, Dayton, Florida, Illinois, Saint Louis, VCU, and Virginia Tech.

The tweet itself, plus more information:

http://www.phenomhoopreport.com/2020-sf-keon-ambrose-announce-top-10-breaks-down-each-school/

Saint Louis: “Saint Louis has a key factor because of their great player development and their great playstyle that shows great on offense and defense.”

26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

http://www.phenomhoopreport.com/2020-sf-keon-ambrose-announce-top-10-breaks-down-each-school/

Saint Louis: “Saint Louis has a key factor because of their great player development and their great playstyle that shows great on offense and defense.”

He likes to say playstyle. 

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

Even if he chooses someone else (other than Dayton, of course), I think he would escape the "tool" designation given his comments and putting us in the mix with so many P5 schools.

10 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Even if he chooses someone else (other than Dayton, of course), I think he would escape the "tool" designation given his comments and putting us in the mix with so many P5 schools.

He also has actual offers from all of his finalists, which hasn't been true of some other recruits recently.

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He also has actual offers from all of his finalists, which hasn't been true of some other recruits recently.

36 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

It is an interesting Final 10.  2 SEC schools, 2 ACC schools, 2 PAC 12, 1 Big 10 and then 3 A10.

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

How else are you going to list a final 10 if you don't have 10 high major offers? These kids are ridiculous. I respect the Fussell kid more. He listed us in his "final" 5, then swapped us for Dayton a day later. None of this final 10 stuff.

The kid had a total of 12 known P-5 and Big East offers.