Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

I don't know the local scene at all in regards to our relationships with local coaches or insiders, but I'd bet the farm if a kid is hell bent on going to a big time P5 school he's not gonna be influenced to go to SLU because of his HS coach. 

Coach314 likes this

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Sadly this seems so true. Yet schools outside of the area can come in at any time and none of the same concerns apply.

Back in the 80’s, St. Louis created the school voucher programs before it was political carte blanche. The high schools have a well imbedded free agent culture. so schools and programs see more premium value in increasing their brand., the hype needle, at least the cut throat guys do. SLU doesn’t move the branding needle like blue blood or high mid major programs do. It’s just the way it is.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Sadly this seems so true. Yet schools outside of the area can come in at any time and none of the same concerns apply.

I think that might be the conference those out of town schools are in.

Examples would be Missouri, Illinois, and K-State, Xavier.

I think the A10 really hurts our status with the local kids.

Coach Ford must win a lot and get the local media’s constant attention and to build a lot of local excitement like the Blues and Cardinals get.  Transform SLU to Gonzaga then the conference won’t matter as much.

Thanks for the Majerus quote, a classic.

22 minutes ago, Brighton said:

They’re the same way with Mizzou football. It’s infuriating.

stop.   we definitely dont care about mi$$ouri football.   

20 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I think that might be the conference those out of town schools are in.

Examples would be Missouri, Illinois, and K-State, Xavier.

I think the A10 really hurts our status with the local kids.

Coach Ford must win a lot and get the local media’s constant attention and to build a lot of local excitement like the Blues and Cardinals get.  Transform SLU to Gonzaga then the conference won’t matter as much.

Thanks for the Majerus quote, a classic.

Frankly, getting us to the Wichita State level would draw top 100 recruits. This is a town where people take pride in where they went to high school. Turning us into a regional power would pack the Chaifetz and load up the media bandwagon.

I don't worry about about where borderline 5 star prospects go. They've got too many options.  Either they're passionate about staying home or they're not.

When you really think about fall recruiting today it's kind of fruitless to get too worked up about missing on fall targets. Every year the transfer market grows bigger. I think this year over 700 kids opted to leave their first choice school. Most go the transfer route after their FR or SO year. So, that means roughly 25-30% of D1 FR recruits over the past two seasons will be seeking a new home to finish out their careers. Hell, if it wasn't for Sit 2, we would likely have had an NCAA squad by Travis' second year built primarily on the backs of transfers. Sure we'd like to land our share of good FR every fall, but, if we don't, there's always the spring recruiting season for transfers, GT's, JUCOS, and late HS bloomers to look forward to. And it wouldn't surprise me to see the NCAA, in the not too distant future,  drop the year waiting period to play these kids.

27 minutes ago, slu72 said:

When you really think about fall recruiting today it's kind of fruitless to get too worked up about missing on fall targets. Every year the transfer market grows bigger. I think this year over 700 kids opted to leave their first choice school. Most go the transfer route after their FR or SO year. So, that means roughly 25-30% of D1 FR recruits over the past two seasons will be seeking a new home to finish out their careers. Hell, if it wasn't for Sit 2, we would likely have had an NCAA squad by Travis' second year built primarily on the backs of transfers. Sure we'd like to land our share of good FR every fall, but, if we don't, there's always the spring recruiting season for transfers, GT's, JUCOS, and late HS bloomers to look forward to. And it wouldn't surprise me to see the NCAA, in the not too distant future,  drop the year waiting period to play these kids.

I think there is a good chance the NCAA will start to limit the transfer market in the future. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

The problem with transfers is the potential baggage that comes with them.  Not always as good as Bess or Isabel.  I would prefer to get a freshman that you get 4 -5 years to mold into the kind of player you want. Reap those benefits for a longer time like we are seeing with French and Goodwin....

1 hour ago, willie said:

I think there is a good chance the NCAA will start to limit the transfer market in the future. 

One of the limits that has been tossed around is one free transfer per four years.  If there are no limits, players would become a total free agent market.  Players could and would transfer four times in four years, making a further mockery of 'student athlete'.  That would ruin NCAA basketball and football. 

3 hours ago, Basketbill said:

The problem with transfers is the potential baggage that comes with them.  Not always as good as Bess or Isabel.  I would prefer to get a freshman that you get 4 -5 years to mold into the kind of player you want. Reap those benefits for a longer time like we are seeing with French and Goodwin....

It's up to the staff to assess this. Yes, we'd like to get them as FR, but there's still no guarantee they'll stick around. Gordon as a prime example. 

33 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

If by fall we don’t have a few signings I’ll be worried. Next year should be amazing but I fear we will lose our seniors without a standout incoming freshmen class

what do you mean by "will lose our seniors"?

36 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

If by fall we don’t have a few signings I’ll be worried. Next year should be amazing but I fear we will lose our seniors without a standout incoming freshmen class

Wow GloryDays, I hear ya. What about 2021?   If we don’t get some super early commits for 2021, our yet to be 2020 commits may de commit before they commit. 

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

By this time we usually had some top recruits committed right? We were spoiled in the beginning but I thought we would have capitalized on winning the A10 since we got better recruits with nothing 

Then you should not be worried then because SLU is coming off an A10 championship.

The guys that gave a verbal early were mainly local players that wanted to be at SLU to play locally, Gordon, Goodwin, Thatch, Hargrove.

I do not get the same vibe from the local offers so this might be the year that the commitments come in November without the early verbal.

Coach Ford has a lot of offers out there and he will probably have 2 signees in November.

Playing for Coach Ford and SLU is a good thing he will get it done, in Ford I trust.

billikenbill, HenryB and Old guy like this

Also had a SLU offer, but we were never in it:

He's an Iowa kid and both Iowa and Iowa State were going to be in it, and I figured Baylor would also be included, but the last two are surprises. He was getting recruited by the bluebloods. He's a massive recruit for any of these programs. My guess is he stays in state.

20 hours ago, STLsportsfan said:

This is basically his offer list, but with Houston and UTA removed. It'll be interesting to see who gets the official visits. This kid could end up being a nice find wherever he goes. Bit of a late bloomer.

It's always crazy to me how one week a player is telling reporters he's planning his official visits, getting ready to announce his finalists, and then all of a sudden he's committed.

In Powell's case, the last update I did in late July, he had scheduled his Houston OV for this past weekend, then Xavier would be next, and he was deciding between three schools for his last two (he already took one to Creighton). But then he didn't make it past Houston.

I love when it happens with a SLU recruit, but still. I guess this is why a lot of guys change their minds. "Oh yeah, if the first visit was that good, doesn't it stand to reason that other ones might be pretty good, as well?"