Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

Caleb Love will announce his cut down list Friday. He was one of the best players at USA Junior Basketball Minicamp this past weekend in Colorado Springs. .....Also, on a side note, Corey Frazier was one of the 8 head coaches in the USA Junior Basketball Minicamp.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, courtside said:

1) Some may not make Stl their home.

2) Even of some did, it’s understandable that some kids want a new experience elsewhere for a variety of reasons. There is nothing wrong or unusual about that. 

3) Coaches know pretty quickly which local kids are interested in/open to staying home for school.  For some it’s a wish, for some it could go either way, for some it is a non-stsrter. Depends on many things. 

4) Your comments apply elsewhere as well, including for some SLU players that arrive from elsewhere. There have been and will be instances where a kid could have stayed home and played somewhere instead of going away to school to SLU. 

5) Generally speaking a nice mix of players of local, regional, national, international is a good way to go. Relationships, pipelines develop, etc...

6) It’s always good and helpful for SLU to get local players who can play at a high level. It has many benefits. But it is just one big piece to the bigger puzzle. 

While I agree with your list of six, the main point of my post was to question why some on this Board seem to think that we have no chance with the 3 players mentioned because they have offers from "bigger and better CBB programs."  What I was trying to say is that none of their offers should relegate SLU to a fallback status for RK, LK and DB.  The Program TF is building will be competitive with all of the schools listed as offering them at this point.

Until I hear from those players that we are no longer being considered, then I choose to believe that TF has a chance.

3 minutes ago, bauman said:

While I agree with your list of six, the main point of my post was to question why some on this Board seem to think that we have no chance with the 3 players mentioned because they have offers from "bigger and better CBB programs."  What I was trying to say is that none of their offers should relegate SLU to a fallback status for RK, LK and DB.  The Program TF is building will be competitive with all of the schools listed as offering them at this point.

Until I hear from those players that we are no longer being considered, then I choose to believe that TF has a chance.

If a local kid is saying his recruiting is "wide open" at the end of the July, that's code for "I'm not satisfied with my current list of offers."  That's why the local kids we do get are either 1) committed by this time  or 2) cutting down their final lists, not expanding them.

SLU_Lax and Pistol like this

1 hour ago, bauman said:

While a few posters on this Board have more inside knowledge of recruiting, looking at it from the outside, I don't understand the feeling that Kalkbrenner, Kasubke and Bradford have "blown up" relative to offers they are getting.  I don't see any what I would consider blue bloods in the list of offers compiled by Pistol.  I don't see Duke/UK/KU/UNC/Nova/Zaga/UVA/FLA/F. ST/ Auburn/MSU/Mich/TN, or other CBB powers listed in their offers.  I see mid-level Big 10 and Big 12 schools along with a few Big East offers.  I have to say I think X, which has offered all of them, is probably the best CBB program in their list of offers.  Given the preceding, why do we think we are out of the running for any of the three?  It's not like C. Love who is  getting offers from Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and N Carolina.

Don't get me wrong, I think all three of those local players would be great gets for Coach Ford and I would love to sign them, but I don't see them as having a list of offers from schools which are going to be better than SLU over the next 4-5 year period, so why not stay home and help TF continue to build the Billikens into a consistent top 30-50 Program?  If you plan on making STL your home, why not get all the notoriety that comes from playing for SLU as opposed to X, DePaul, Iowa or Nebraska, just to name a few, and why not enjoy having your friends and family in the stands watching you?

I don't think Kalkbrenner wants to stay home. 

I think we are in the running for Kasubke, but I wouldn't say we are the leader. My feeling is the leader is probably X, but that is something he could be swayed on.  SLU and several other schools still in the running.

I think we are probably in the best position on Bradford among the local kids. 

With that said, all of these guys are still kids and that means every thing could change tomorrow. You hear stuff about the recruitment of these kids. You just never know how much is accurate, just the person telling you what they think you want to hear or if the person's personal allegiances has an impact on how they interpret what they know/hear.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

While a few posters on this Board have more inside knowledge of recruiting, looking at it from the outside, I don't understand the feeling that Kalkbrenner, Kasubke and Bradford have "blown up" relative to offers they are getting.  I don't see any what I would consider blue bloods in the list of offers compiled by Pistol.  I don't see Duke/UK/KU/UNC/Nova/Zaga/UVA/FLA/F. ST/ Auburn/MSU/Mich/TN, or other CBB powers listed in their offers.  I see mid-level Big 10 and Big 12 schools along with a few Big East offers.  I have to say I think X, which has offered all of them, is probably the best CBB program in their list of offers.  Given the preceding, why do we think we are out of the running for any of the three?  It's not like C. Love who is  getting offers from Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and N Carolina.

Don't get me wrong, I think all three of those local players would be great gets for Coach Ford and I would love to sign them, but I don't see them as having a list of offers from schools which are going to be better than SLU over the next 4-5 year period, so why not stay home and help TF continue to build the Billikens into a consistent top 30-50 Program?  If you plan on making STL your home, why not get all the notoriety that comes from playing for SLU as opposed to X, DePaul, Iowa or Nebraska, just to name a few, and why not enjoy having your friends and family in the stands watching you?

I agree with you totally, but who knows what runs thru the minds of 18 year olds? Even the middle of the pack P5s can bring them in on a football weekend and give them a more appealing (at least livelier) college experience than SLU. Then there's just the idea of getting away from home. No doubt if we had the resume of an X or a Zaga, we'd be an attractive option to the local kids. We're just not over that hump yet, and until we get over it, we're going to be at a disadvantage going up against even the middle level P5s. Our best bet is to convince them we are building an X or Zaga like program and they'd be a major contributor.

2 hours ago, bauman said:

I agree with this.

2 hours ago, bauman said:

72, your last sentence is EXACTLY what TF is trying to do and he has succeeded with a fair number-CAG (I know he's gone but he came because of Ford's "build a better program pitch"); JG; TH Jr; YC and FT Jr.

Agreed. Ford can sell SLU on that idea. But, if a kid wants a BMW right now, it's hard to sell him on a Ford. Look, I truly admire what Travis Ford has done to turn around what was a mess that never should have happened. If he keeps winning we will land good locals. I just don't know if we're there yet. 

<<Agreed. Ford can sell SLU on that idea. But, if a kid wants a BMW right now, it's hard to sell him on a Ford. Look, I truly admire what Travis Ford has done to turn around what was a mess that never should have happened. If he keeps winning we will land good locals. I just don't know if we're there yet. >>

reread that before any of the team is lurking like we've heard they do. We already have landed great locals!!

1 hour ago, almaman said:

<>

reread that before any of the team is lurking like we've heard they do. We already have landed great locals!!

We have the best from last year, Thatch and JGood. He's done a great job w/ the locals, and here's hoping it continues. 

19 hours ago, JettFlight5 said:

Jamal Mashburn Jr. was offered today.

Despite him lighting it up in the EYBL, expect Mashburn's recruiting profile to drop a little. Some of the schools who originally offered are seeing him as a 6'0 shooting guard. Short two guards who can score in bunches do well in the A-10. Hope the kid gives us a serious look.

5 hours ago, BuiltFordBills said:

Interesting. Here's the excellent write up of his recruitment from @Pistol:

Christian Fussell - PF/C, 6-10, 220 - Decatur, GA (Greenforest McCalep Christian Academy) - AAU: Team Forrest - Twitter: @C_fuss22
Offers: Saint Louis, VCU, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Tulane, SIU-Carbondale, Indiana State, Charlotte, Middle Tennessee, Kent State, Tennessee State, Jacksonville State, Samford, East Tennessee State, UNC-Greensboro, Charleston, Northeastern, James Madison, Elon, Appalachian State, UNC-Asheville, Charleston Southern, Presbyterian, South Carolina Upstate, Florida Gulf Coast, Kennesaw State, Stetson.

Interest: Davidson, Seton Hall, St. John's, Florida, LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Georgia, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Houston, Tulsa, Princeton, Cornell, Belmont, Murray State, Morehead State, Toledo, Florida International, Marshall, Northern Kentucky, Youngstown State, Furman, Mercer, Chattanooga, Drexel, Georgia State, Arkansas State, Louisiana-Monroe, Coastal Carolina, Hampton, Campbell, Longwood, Jacksonville, Liberty, Florida A&M.

Latest News: Fussell is playing in the first session at the South (Houston) location of the NCAA College Basketball Academy this week. (7/23/19)

Scouting Report: Fussell is a versatile big man who can stretch the floor with his shooting. He has range out past the perimeter, can face up and hit shots over defenders from the mid-range and high post, and can catch and finish on the move. He passes well out of the post. He can guard multiple positions, rebounds, and blocks shots. He can handle the ball in the half court or in transition, where he moves well.

Fussell is a versatile big man who can stretch the floor with his shooting.

I very much like the idea of adding a big man who can stretch the floor.  Currently the only player we have who can really do that is Hankton and he's #1 not really a traditional big in the defensive sense and #2 hasn't proven yet to really be able to shoot efficiently.

CBFan likes this

4 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I very much like the idea of adding a big man who can stretch the floor.  Currently the only player we have who can really do that is Hankton and he's #1 not really a traditional big in the defensive sense and #2 hasn't proven yet to really be able to shoot efficiently.

Just what the Dr ordered. 

On 7/30/2019 at 3:07 PM, courtside said:

Caleb Love will announce his cut down list Friday. He was one of the best players at USA Junior Basketball Minicamp this past weekend in Colorado Springs. .....Also, on a side note, Corey Frazier was one of the 8 head coaches in the USA Junior Basketball Minicamp.

In alphabetical order:

Arizona, Indiana, Kansas, Louisville, Mizzou, North Carolina.

2 hours ago, courtside said:

In alphabetical order:

Arizona, Indiana, Kansas, Louisville, Mizzou, North Carolina.

I love Mizzou in there because their fans are delusional enough to think they've got a shot. What I didn't love? The Arch in the Mizzou graphic. Pretty pathetic and desperate attempt by Mizzou athletics. I remember seeing it on Torrence Watson's tweet as well. Assuming most of these kids get their graphics from the respective schools.

Since everyone is dying for my prediction, I'm going with UNC. Pretty sure I remember reading something about Caleb's dad talking about how important academics was in his decision. Hard to beat the combo of UNC academics and UNC's basketball program.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">all glory to God for putting me in the position today! TOP 6!🙏🏽 <a href="https://twitter.com/BillionBus?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BillionBus</a> <a href="https://t.co/3OgmrnJFP6">pic.twitter.com/3OgmrnJFP6</a></p>&mdash; Caleb Love (@caleb2love) <a href="https://twitter.com/caleb2love/status/1157433641447972864?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 2, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I love Mizzou in there because their fans are delusional enough to think they've got a shot. What I didn't love? The Arch in the Mizzou graphic. Pretty pathetic and desperate attempt by Mizzou athletics. I remember seeing it on Torrence Watson's tweet as well. Assuming most of these kids get their graphics from the respective schools.

Since everyone is dying for my prediction, I'm going with UNC. Pretty sure I remember reading something about Caleb's dad talking about how important academics was in his decision. Hard to beat the combo of UNC academics and UNC's basketball program.

Got to admit, I love the comic book look. It really stands out among these types of edits.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Got to admit, I love the comic book look. It really stands out among these types of edits.

Comic book look is pretty cool. 

Switching recruits, I was scrolling through Twitter just now and noticed that Christian Fussel has a new top 5 out and SLU is no longer on it. To make matters worse, he replaced us with Dayton. Maybe he changes his mind and posts a third top 5 tomorrow and we're back on it. Sometimes I forget we're dealing with kids:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New Top 5🙏🏾 <a href="https://t.co/pxIYB7Sme5">pic.twitter.com/pxIYB7Sme5</a></p>&mdash; Christian Fussell (@C_fuss22) <a href="https://twitter.com/C_fuss22/status/1157431615821418502?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 2, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Comic book look is pretty cool. 

Switching recruits, I was scrolling through Twitter just now and noticed that Christian Fussel has a new top 5 out and SLU is no longer on it. To make matters worse, he replaced us with Dayton. Maybe he changes his mind and posts a third top 5 tomorrow and we're back on it. Sometimes I forget we're dealing with kids:

Worse? He got the call from T Ford asking who he was so he replaced us. Duh. 

As great a recruiter as Coach Ford is, SLU doesn't have much of a profile outside of the Midwest. French is the only top 300 high school player we've managed to pull from out of state. And it took the combined effort of Van Macon and Coach Ford to make that happen. 

Signing a quality big in the fall is hard. There's so few of them and so much demand.  I wonder if we're better off signing the best 6'7 player we can find and calling it a day.

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

As great a recruiter as Coach Ford is, SLU doesn't have much of a profile outside of the Midwest. French is the only top 300 high school player we've managed to pull from out of state. And it took the combined effort of Van Macon and Coach Ford to make that happen. 

Signing a quality big in the fall is hard. There's so few of them and so much demand.  I wonder if we're better off signing the best 6'7 player we can find and calling it a day.

Seems harder to sign a big in the Spring as the top program make offers to fill “unexpected “ open spots as demand far exceeds supply