Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

To me, it's more of a red flag for US-born players than for immigrants with families in other countries, although I would also be curious to hear his specific circumstances. I tend to understand it when a kid is trying to acclimate to the country, the culture, maybe a language gap, and so forth.

There's also a HUGE quality gap between a lot of these schools, particularly since the charter school explosion in recent years. "Prep school" can mean anything from some of the most elite, exclusive, academically advanced schools in the country to fly-by-night setups that take advantage of lax regulations and oversight to build a shell around an athletic program, and everything in between.

The first "school" Muscadin was at appears to no longer have a website, has not posted to its Facebook page since March, and only seems to be updating Twitter - the last tweet indicating that there's some sort of restructuring (rebranding?) going on. Everything I can find about it seems like a red flag. So he went across town to the more established Sunrise Christian Academy, which has a massive basketball program with three tracks (select, varsity, and postgrad), but is at least attached to a legitimate school. Now he's going to Aspire Academy, and AA athletes go to Holy Cross HS in Louisville as full-time students.

This is simple and there is a logical explanation. He actually didn't want to move to KY, however, when the first school in KS found out his name was actually Jethro, he was booted and told to get to KY or TN. He was told AL, VA, or MS was also a possibility but in reality KY or TN was going to be best. He then tried to be slick and enroll at another school in KS, but obviously that didn't work. In the end, everything became clear. . Despite his initial reluctance, he knew what he had to do. So he packed up his bags and he moved to Aspire Academy

SLU_Lax likes this

On 7/5/2019 at 12:05 PM, courtside said:

Top 5 National recruit, small forward, Jalen Johnson committed to Duke yesterday. His high school team, Milwaukee Nicolet (which has several other talented players) will return again this year to the Highland Shootout to face Vashon. There are more than a dozen top 100 players participating in the 2020 Highland Shootout:

Highland G v Greenville G
Highland B v Triad B
Tolton (Columbia) Mater Dei
DeSmet v Collinsville
Mehlville v Trinity
Whitney Young (Chicago) v Chaminade
Nicolet (Milwaukee) v Vashon
CBC v Sussex Hamilton (Milwaukee)

Shortly after Marquette received a commitment from 6’8 Baltimore top 60 forward Justin Lewis, Jamari Sibley, 6’8 forward from Milwaukee Nicolet announced (coincidentally)  that he will be transferring to Oak Hill Academy. Nicolet still has the Johnson brothers (Duke for Jalen) and others. DJ Steward of Whitney Young is getting blue blood offers. Patrick Baldwin from Hamilton is considered arguably the best player from his class. 

37 minutes ago, slusam said:

Baylor Hebb was offered 

Hebb is playing at the South (Houston) site of the NCAA developmental camp in the first session. Gethro Muscadin is also down there, and I'm not sure if Ford Stuen is the only assistant there or not - probably, given that Tate and Ford are both in Champaign and there are two other sites to track. Our most recent offers have gone through Stuen, so he's gotten the green light since his promotion. Anyway, here's Hebb:

Baylor Hebb - G, 6-2, 165 - Colleyville, TX (Colleyville Heritage) - AAU: 3D Empire - Twitter: @BaylorHebb
Offers: Saint Louis, DePaul, Loyola-Chicago, Valparaiso, Drake, Ohio, Northern Kentucky, Green Bay, Bucknell, Stephen F. Austin, Abilene Christian, Texas-Arlington, Grand Canyon.

Interest: George Mason, Michigan, Texas, Kansas State, TCU, Baylor, Temple, Tulsa, Colorado State, Boise State, Utah State, Penn, Cornell, Brown, SIU-Carbondale, Northern Iowa, Belmont, Toledo, Milwaukee, Rice, Middle Tennessee, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Texas-San Antonio, Marshall, Holy Cross, American, Loyola-Maryland, Drexel, William & Mary, Wofford, Furman, Citadel, North Dakota, South Dakota State, Omaha, Oral Roberts, Louisiana, Georgia State, Texas State, Troy, South Alabama, Sam Houston State, McNeese State, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Incarnate Word, Albany, New Hampshire, UC-Irvine, UC-Riverside, Cal State-Fullerton, Mount St. Mary's, Stetson, Liberty, Cal State-Bakersfield, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Texas Southern.

Latest News: Hebb received offers from SLU, Loyola, and Valpo. (7/25/19)

Scouting Report: Hebb is a high-volume scoring combo guard who can really shoot it. He's got a quick, smooth stroke and fires away with confidence off the catch or dribble. He's undersized but crafty in getting to the rim and finishing with either hand. He's a good ball handler and is effective at getting separation in the mid-range. He's a willing passer but a fundamental scorer.

-He has taken two official visits so far, to Abilene Christian and Bucknell.

10 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Odd that a couple in a row have mentioned Stuen in their SLU tweet. I don’t recall ever seeing another asst. shouted out like that. Feels like someone is trying to justify his promotion ha

Wouldn't be surprised if Coach Ford suggested it.  Stuen is his nephew after all.

On 7/24/2019 at 10:51 PM, slufanskip said:

This is simple and there is a logical explanation. He actually didn't want to move to KY, however, when the first school in KS found out his name was actually Jethro, he was booted and told to get to KY or TN. He was told AL, VA, or MS was also a possibility but in reality KY or TN was going to be best. He then tried to be slick and enroll at another school in KS, but obviously that didn't work. In the end, everything became clear. . Despite his initial reluctance, he knew what he had to do. So he packed up his bags and he moved to Aspire Academy

Should have moved to Beverly Hills 90210. 

"2020 Toneari Lane has trimmed his list to Ole Miss, TCU, Appalachian State, Saint Louis, Nebraska, Wichita State, and Butler. According to his Instagram story."

Andrew Laczkowski - SF, 6-6, 185 - Dallas, TX (St. Mark's) - AAU: YGC36 (Adidas Gauntlet) - Twitter: @laczkowski5
Offers: Saint Louis, Air Force, San Diego, Yale, Central Michigan, Oakland, American, Troy, Oral Roberts.

Interest: Wake Forest, Minnesota, Texas, TCU, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Stanford, Tulsa, Colorado State, Utah State, Princeton, Cornell, Brown, SIU-Carbonadale, Northern Iowa, Murray State, Toledo, Rice, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Middle Tennessee, Northern Kentucky, Youngstown State, Bucknell, Lafayette, Drexel, William & Mary, Furman, Texas State, Georgia State, South Alabama, Appalachian State, Southeastern Louisiana, Sam Houston State, Lamar, Texas-Arlington, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Abilene Christian, Niagara, New Hampshire, Hartford, North Dakota, Purdue Fort Wayne, Denver, UC-Irvine, Cal State-Fullerton, UC-Riverside, Northern Colorado, Wagner, Mount St. Mary's, Lipscomb, Liberty, Seattle, UMKC, Texas-Rio Grande Valley.

Latest News: Laczkowski received offers from SLU and Oakland. (7/29/19)

Scouting Report: Laczkowski is a wing with great size and elite shooting ability. He's an active defender with good length. He runs the floor well and is an unselfish player with a competitive streak. He's efficient in both in scoring ability and his movements, not wasting steps or dribbles. He's a fairly effective offensive rebounder, too, for someone who spaces the floor and gets his points at the perimeter, although he's got good touch near the rim.

-As for the unusual wording in his tweet, he does that for all of his offer tweets. I've also noticed that with a few other recruits lately, so maybe it's just a subtle thing catching on among certain players right now. His AAU team won the Adidas Gauntlet championship. We're beginning to recruit the program pretty hard - it's Marcus Smart's program, so there's a strong connection there with Ford and Stuen. Laczkowski didn't have any offers until this calendar year, so he's a fairly late bloomer.

Toneari Lane - SF, 6-6, 200 - Lawrenceville, GA (Grayson) - AAU: Atlanta Celtics (Adidas Gauntlet) - Twitter: @toneari_lane22
Finalists: Saint Louis, Butler, Nebraska, TCU, Ole Miss, Wichita State, Appalachian State.

Offers: St. John's, Nebraska, TCU, Auburn, Ole Miss, Middle Tennessee, Appalachian State, North Florida.

Interest: Saint Louis, Xavier, Butler, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Ohio State, Iowa State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Georgia, Mississippi State, Wichita State, Temple, South Florida, Loyola-Chicago, Indiana State, Belmont, Murray State, Buffalo, Old Dominion, Northern Kentucky, Wofford, Chattanooga, UNC-Greensboro, Mercer, James Madison, Elon, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Arkansas State, Troy, South Carolina-Upstate, Lipscomb, Jacksonville.

Latest News: Lane trimmed his list to seven finalists. (7/29/19)

Scouting Report: Lane is a great outside shooter with strength and toughness. He's got a big, strong frame and can get to the rim and finish through contact. He's aggressive on the break and has improved his ball handling. He does a little bit of everything and can defend multiple positions. He hits the glass at both ends and has a non-stop motor. He's frequently cited as a glue guy who elevates the culture of any program he plays for. He transferred to Shiloh to Grayson for his senior year.

-I never saw a SLU offer hit the wire here. But I also haven't seen that Butler and Wichita State ever offered, so maybe he's trying to motivate them or maybe he just likes a few that are interested and seeing what happens. His recruitment really took off this summer as he started to show a much-improved, reliable three-point shot.

41 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Bradford and Luke reportedly have a visit set up for K State next month 

Any feeling about SLU’s chances for these guys.

Having both of these guys for 2020 is what I hope happens however I just do not get that good vibe like I did with Collins, Thatch, Hargrove, and Jimerson.

11 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Having both of these guys for 2020 is what I hope happens however I just do not get that good vibe like I did with Collins, Thatch, Hargrove, and Jimerson.

Almost the opposite vibe.

16 hours ago, CBFan said:

Never felt we had much of a shot at Kasabuke (sp?), but last winter it seemed we had a good shot at Bradford. But I guess he kind of blew up this summer and turned some heads.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Never felt we had much of a shot at Kasabuke (sp?), but last winter it seemed we had a good shot at Bradford. But I guess he kind of blew up this summer and turned some heads.

While a few posters on this Board have more inside knowledge of recruiting, looking at it from the outside, I don't understand the feeling that Kalkbrenner, Kasubke and Bradford have "blown up" relative to offers they are getting.  I don't see any what I would consider blue bloods in the list of offers compiled by Pistol.  I don't see Duke/UK/KU/UNC/Nova/Zaga/UVA/FLA/F. ST/ Auburn/MSU/Mich/TN, or other CBB powers listed in their offers.  I see mid-level Big 10 and Big 12 schools along with a few Big East offers.  I have to say I think X, which has offered all of them, is probably the best CBB program in their list of offers.  Given the preceding, why do we think we are out of the running for any of the three?  It's not like C. Love who is  getting offers from Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and N Carolina.

Don't get me wrong, I think all three of those local players would be great gets for Coach Ford and I would love to sign them, but I don't see them as having a list of offers from schools which are going to be better than SLU over the next 4-5 year period, so why not stay home and help TF continue to build the Billikens into a consistent top 30-50 Program?  If you plan on making STL your home, why not get all the notoriety that comes from playing for SLU as opposed to X, DePaul, Iowa or Nebraska, just to name a few, and why not enjoy having your friends and family in the stands watching you?

Old guy likes this

1 minute ago, bauman said:

While a few posters on this Board have more inside knowledge of recruiting, looking at it from the outside, I don't understand the feeling that Kalkbrenner, Kasubke and Bradford have "blown up" relative to offers they are getting.  I don't see any what I would consider blue bloods in the list of offers compiled by Pistol.  I don't see Duke/UK/KU/UNC/Nova/Zaga/UVA/FLA/F. ST/ Auburn/MSU/Mich/TN, or other CBB powers listed in their offers.  I see mid-level Big 10 and Big 12 schools along with a few Big East offers.  I have to say I think X, which has offered all of them, is probably the best CBB program in their list of offers.  Given the preceding, why do we think we are out of the running for any of the three?  It's not like C. Love who is  getting offers from Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and N Carolina.

Don't get me wrong, I think all three of those local players would be great gets for Coach Ford and I would love to sign them, but I don't see them as having a list of offers from schools which are going to be better than SLU over the next 4-5 year period, so why not stay home and help TF continue to build the Billikens into a consistent top 30-50 Program?  If you plan on making STL your home, why not get all the notoriety that comes from playing for SLU as opposed to X, DePaul, Iowa or Nebraska, just to name a few, and why not enjoy having your friends and family in the stands watching you?

-I too don't understand the defeatist attitude on recruiting, Travis Ford is our coach for heaven's sake, the best recruiter in SLU history or at least modern history, let the kid move to tool status before giving up that they will Be a Billiken

6 minutes ago, bauman said:

agreed, ive heard a few people mention schools like Illinois as the "bigger schools" hes after.  Pretty laughable, considering the state they've been in for a while now

7 minutes ago, bauman said:

If you plan on making STL your home, why not get all the notoriety that comes from playing for SLU as opposed to X, DePaul, Iowa or Nebraska, just to name a few, and why not enjoy having your friends and family in the stands watching you?

1) Some may not make Stl their home.

2) Even of some did, it’s understandable that some kids want a new experience elsewhere for a variety of reasons. There is nothing wrong or unusual about that. 

3) Coaches know pretty quickly which local kids are interested in/open to staying home for school.  For some it’s a wish, for some it could go either way, for some it is a non-stsrter. Depends on many things. 

4) Your comments apply elsewhere as well, including for some SLU players that arrive from elsewhere. There have been and will be instances where a kid could have stayed home and played somewhere instead of going away to school to SLU. 

5) Generally speaking a nice mix of players of local, regional, national, international is a good way to go. Relationships, pipelines develop, etc...

6) It’s always good and helpful for SLU to get local players who can play at a high level. It has many benefits. But it is just one big piece to the bigger puzzle. 

Quality Is Job 1 likes this