Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Am I correct that we currently have 2 available scholarships for this class? Thoughts on a pair of Bradford and Kasubke/Branson?

Yep, we have two scholarships open for 2020. I doubt we see any commits until after school starts. This isn't like last year where our local targets considered staying home their best option.

Latest offer:

Melvin Edwards - SF, 6-6, 195 - Carrollton, GA (Carrollton) - AAU: Team Forrest - Twitter: @melvin_22462
Offers: Saint Louis, Tennessee State, Chattanooga, UNC-Wilmington, Georgia Southern, Presbyterian, Kennesaw State.

Interest: Georgia Tech, Auburn, Wichita State, Murray State, Army, Drexel, East Tennessee State, UNC-Greensboro, Mercer, Samford, Citadel, Appalachian State, Gardner-Webb, North Florida, Lipscomb, Stetson.

Latest News: Edwards received an offer from SLU. (7/15/19)

Scouting Report: Edwards is a versatile forward who can play inside and out, create matchup problems, and fill the stat sheet. He has a college-ready frame and high-level athleticism. He finishes and hits the offensive glass particularly hard, but he's got a high motor at both ends. He has a nice shooting stroke, with the elevation to get it off over defenders. He's strong with the shot fake to get into the lane.

57 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

I agree. My point is we will need to be successful for a few years before we get a ‘reputation’ of a program the better recruits will want to visit

mhg

And just as important we will be watching some great basketball if we can get that reputation.

I really hope Bradford signs with SLU in November.

Keon Ambrose-Hylton - PF, 6-8, 200 - Whitby, ON (Andrews Osborne Academy, OH) - AAU: UPLAY Canada (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @KeonAmbrose
Offers: Saint Louis, Dayton, St. Bonaventure, George Mason, Xavier, Illinois, Florida, Vanderbilt, UConn, Tulsa, Tulane, Detroit, Georgia State, Howard.

Interest: Butler, NC State, Clemson, Ohio State, K-State, Baylor, Tennessee, California.

Latest News: Ambrose received an offer from SLU. (7/15/19)

Scouting Report: Ambrose is a versatile forward who creates mismatches because of his perimeter skills. He can shoot it from deep and pass from anywhere on the floor. He's very effective in transition, moves extremely well, and has a strong first step. He scores from the post, showing soft touch, and he's a strong finisher. He's a good rebounder and shot blocker, too. He went to HS in Canada his freshman year, than Hamilton Heights Christian Academy in Tennessee his sophomore year, and now plays at Andrews Osborne Academy outside Cleveland, which has a partnership with International Sports Academy and features a number of Canadians. Rankings: Rivals - 109, 247Sports - 86, 247Sports Composite - 81, Future150 - 108, ESPN - 66.

-Heading into the Peach Jam, he said Xavier, Dayton, Illinois, and Florida were the four most involved. There was some talk of him reclassifying to 2019 but I'm guessing it might be getting a little late for that.

2 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Am I correct that we currently have 2 available scholarships for this class? Thoughts on a pair of Bradford and Kasubke/Branson?

In general, I would love that to be our 2020 recruiting class, however, the timing of when we would like to fill those two slots (November 2019) gives me caution on Bradford.  At that time we will still not have gotten any firm idea on the ability of Bell and Diarra to compete at the A-10 level.   I am assuming that neither one of them is a candidate to play away from the key, e.g.  a Rob Loe.  I also have not seen that ability in Bradford.  While recruiting good bigs is probably a very tough thing to do, I don't think I would want to have 3, pretty much identical players stacked in two recruiting classes.  I also think the presence of JB and MD just one year ahead of him might cause Bradford to look elsewhere.  Again, timing complicates this whole issue. 

With regard to Kasubke, if he shoots as well as advertised, get him!  You can't have enough shooters, especially since one of our projected "shooters" this year (Weaver) will be gone when LK would be getting here.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Latest offer:

Melvin Edwards - SF, 6-6, 195 - Carrollton, GA (Carrollton) - AAU: Team Forrest - Twitter: @melvin_22462
Offers: Saint Louis, Tennessee State, Chattanooga, UNC-Wilmington, Georgia Southern, Presbyterian, Kennesaw State.

Interest: Georgia Tech, Auburn, Wichita State, Murray State, Army, Drexel, East Tennessee State, UNC-Greensboro, Mercer, Samford, Citadel, Appalachian State, Gardner-Webb, North Florida, Lipscomb, Stetson.

Latest News: Edwards received an offer from SLU. (7/15/19)

Scouting Report: Edwards is a versatile forward who can play inside and out, create matchup problems, and fill the stat sheet. He has a college-ready frame and high-level athleticism. He finishes and hits the offensive glass particularly hard, but he's got a high motor at both ends. He has a nice shooting stroke, with the elevation to get it off over defenders. He's strong with the shot fake to get into the lane.

-seeing this a lot in regards our offers and I like it

1 hour ago, bauman said:

In general, I would love that to be our 2020 recruiting class, however, the timing of when we would like to fill those two slots (November 2019) gives me caution on Bradford.  At that time we will still not have gotten any firm idea on the ability of Bell and Diarra to compete at the A-10 level.   I am assuming that neither one of them is a candidate to play away from the key, e.g.  a Rob Loe.  I also have not seen that ability in Bradford.  While recruiting good bigs is probably a very tough thing to do, I don't think I would want to have 3, pretty much identical players stacked in two recruiting classes.  I also think the presence of JB and MD just one year ahead of him might cause Bradford to look elsewhere.  Again, timing complicates this whole issue. 

With regard to Kasubke, if he shoots as well as advertised, get him!  You can't have enough shooters, especially since one of our projected "shooters" this year (Weaver) will be gone when LK would be getting here.

Bradford is an upgrade over Diarra, even before Diarra's injury. He's got more offensive ability.

Bradford and Graham Ike are the only true centers on our offer list. All the other bigs we've offered can play away from the basket.

brianstl likes this

5 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Bradford is an upgrade over Diarra, even before Diarra's injury. He's got more offensive ability.

Bradford and Graham Ike are the only true centers on our offer list. All the other bigs we've offered can play away from the basket.

Exactly, plus Bradford’s upside is higher than any big currently on the roster (including French).

22 hours ago, bauman said:

I am very comfortable in saying that I don't expect both Bell and Diarra to spend all four years here.  They're basically the same guy.  Once will succeed more than the other, one will ride the bench more than the other, and one will ....... well you get the point.

TheChosenOne likes this

40 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I am very comfortable in saying that I don't expect both Bell and Diarra to spend all four years here.  They're basically the same guy.  Once will succeed more than the other, one will ride the bench more than the other, and one will ....... well you get the point.

Maybe but 2020 class is very thin with big men.  It might not be so easy to replace one of them.

Before moving on to SLU targets, there is always value in learning local and state recruiting information of high major prospects. 

Cam’Ron Fletcher named his top 5.

Alabama, Kentucky, Michigan State, Missouri & North Carolina.

Also 2019 Columbia Rock Bridge point guard Dajuan Harris committed to Kansas tonight. He was part of the Peach Jam Championship team for Mokan Elite. He is a former Missouri St. commit, had 17 points in state championship win. Increased his profile this Spring and summer with Mokan Elite. One of his teammates there 7 footer N’Faly Dante (2020) was Peach Jam MVP, and first team all EYBL...fellow point guard Kennedy Chandler 2021 may be the top in his class. Playing with those fellow high profile teammates, and having team success brought more eyes to his games. KU offered recently as did some others.

Pistol likes this

Only surprise to me in Fletcher's top five is Alabama over Duke. If he had a top 7, I'd have slotted Alabama in, but I guess he felt like the others were more serious about him than Duke was.

I'm waiting for some of the other MOKAN kids to get the Peach Jam championship bump, too - namely Luke Kasubke. Chandler and Dante are awesome players. If we can be contenders for the next level down on that squad, though, that would be huge (and I think we're very much in the mix for both Kasubke and Bradford).

Kasubke was their third-leading scorer at 12.7 PPG. His efficiency wasn't quite what it has been at Chaminade - .446/.615/.333 - but there's no question he made the right decision by playing for MOKAN and not getting lost behind Love and Fletcher and Moody at BBE. Bradford would've played a bigger role for BBE but was solid as Dante's frontcourt running mate, averaging about 7 and 4 and going .755 from the field. If his FT percentage (.375) means anything, then we should expect a commitment from him soon.

I'm still curious to see where Branson ends up. He's such an unusual prospect, a big, beefy guard who doesn't jump off the video or stat sheet but manages to be fairly impactful in a game.

27 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Only surprise to me in Fletcher's top five is Alabama over Duke. If he had a top 7, I'd have slotted Alabama in, but I guess he felt like the others were more serious about him than Duke was.

I'm waiting for some of the other MOKAN kids to get the Peach Jam championship bump, too - namely Luke Kasubke. Chandler and Dante are awesome players. If we can be contenders for the next level down on that squad, though, that would be huge (and I think we're very much in the mix for both Kasubke and Bradford).

Kasubke was their third-leading scorer at 12.7 PPG. His efficiency wasn't quite what it has been at Chaminade - .446/.615/.333 - but there's no question he made the right decision by playing for MOKAN and not getting lost behind Love and Fletcher and Moody at BBE. Bradford would've played a bigger role for BBE but was solid as Dante's frontcourt running mate, averaging about 7 and 4 and going .755 from the field. If his FT percentage (.375) means anything, then we should expect a commitment from him soon.

I'm still curious to see where Branson ends up. He's such an unusual prospect, a big, beefy guard who doesn't jump off the video or stat sheet but manages to be fairly impactful in a game.

Bradford and Kasubke are the 2 I hope to see commitments from in October.

However I would still would be happy with a  Kalkbrenner / Kasubke commit also.

Having 2 scholarships for the 2020 class is important.  Locally there are some great players.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I guess he wasnt happy that Duke never offered. 

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Bradford and Kasubke are the 2 I hope to see commitments from in October.

Would give us the 11th best class in country right now

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

However I would still would be happy with a  Kalkbrenner / Kasubke commit also.

#9 with that

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I guess he wasnt happy that Duke never offered. 

There are many different types of offers. Some are contingent upon accepting on the spot, some are unconditional, some are fall backs to other players etc...or no offer at all. Every situation is different. 

In this particular situation top 5 national 2020 small forward Jalen Johnson committed to Duke recently. You can watch both Jalen Johnson, Cam’Ron Fletcher as Milwaukee Nicolet faces off vs Vashon in the upcoming season’s Highland Shootout. Johnson’s Milwaukee Nicolet defeated Kasubke and Chaminade in last year’s matchup. More info is in this thread.

Kasubke definitely has received significantly more minutes than Bradford and Branson for Mokan Elite, doing a good job of knocking down 3’s and getting to the FT line. He was relatively quiet in bracket play but he did have a 28 point pool play game.