Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/18/2019 at 10:18 AM, Coach314 said:

Cam barely hears from the local schools.  I hope they aren't banking on him coming.  He has heard more from K State than any other local school 

So your point is to bad mouth SLU ?  Coach Ford is too dumb to evaluate and offer local talent?  

Or just trying to honk for local kids regardless?

On 6/18/2019 at 9:18 AM, Coach314 said:

Cam barely hears from the local schools.  I hope they aren't banking on him coming.  He has heard more from K State than any other local school 

Just the opposite.They aren't banking on him coming. Until the relationship between the Vashon coaching staff and the local schools improves, nothing's going to change. The only reason Mario McKinney is at Mizzou is because his uncle went there.

Look, I understand that men at Vashon are protective of their kids. The success rate of Vashon players at local schools has not been good. But if you really want to see your kids at local schools, you're going to have to sell that to your kids early, the way east coast schools do. The best salesmen for Maryland and Georgetown are the high school coaches themselves.

4 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

So your point is to bad mouth SLU ?  Coach Ford is too dumb to evaluate and offer local talent?  

Or just trying to honk for local kids regardless?

Not sure how I said anything negative about SLU.  Who they decide to actively recruit out of the players they offer is their decision.  The discussion was about Love and Fletcher.  The narrative that was being pushed was that Fletcher expressed early in the process that he wasn't interested.  Having talked to a coach from Vashon last week about SLU and Mizzou recruiting Vashon players I spoke on what I knew.  Apparently other readers have other information regarding the matter.  

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Just the opposite.They aren't banking on him coming. Until the relationship between the Vashon coaching staff and the local schools improves, nothing's going to change. The only reason Mario McKinney is at Mizzou is because his uncle went there.

Look, I understand that men at Vashon are protective of their kids. The success rate of Vashon players at local schools has not been good. But if you really want to see your kids at local schools, you're going to have to sell that to your kids early, the way east coast schools do. The best salesmen for Maryland and Georgetown are the high school coaches themselves.

How do you sell it to kids to stay local when they receive more interest/communication from other schools?  Kobe Clark has an offer from SLU and has expressed interest in wanting to attend SLU.  Now...if they have chosen to focus on other players in his class and don't see him as a fit,  fine.  But if he has a good season and starts to garner more offers let's not go with the "he was never interested" narrative.

49 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Not sure how I said anything negative about SLU.  Who they decide to actively recruit out of the players they offer is their decision.  The discussion was about Love and Fletcher.  The narrative that was being pushed was that Fletcher expressed early in the process that he wasn't interested.  Having talked to a coach from Vashon last week about SLU and Mizzou recruiting Vashon players I spoke on what I knew.  Apparently other readers have other information regarding the matter.  

How do you sell it to kids to stay local when they receive more interest/communication from other schools?  Kobe Clark has an offer from SLU and has expressed interest in wanting to attend SLU.  Now...if they have chosen to focus on other players in his class and don't see him as a fit,  fine.  But if he has a good season and starts to garner more offers let's not go with the "he was never interested" narrative.

SLU has a lot of interest in Nicholas Kern in the 2021 class.  If Vashon's coaching staff was selling him on the idea of staying home, SLU would stand a much better chance of landing him.  He'd be as optimistic about being a Billiken as Yuri was.  We'd see Kern at a ton of games next year.

But we won't because the Vashon kids see what's going on. They know that their coaches' indifference toward the local schools indicates a problem. They may not have an in-depth understanding of the problem but the message is loud and clear: you can do better.

Kobe Clark is only interested in SLU because right now he can't do better. There are no examples of Vashon kids making the choice that Jordan Goodwin or Yuri Collins made: choosing the hometown school despite having better options. You have to really want to stay home for that to happen. You have to consider that a cool ass thing to do. Only the men at Vashon are in a position to plant that seed in the minds of their underclassmen.

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

There are no examples of Vashon kids making the choice that Jordan Goodwin or Yuri Collins made: choosing the hometown school despite having better options.

I’m probably missing some guys, what Vashon kids have had better options than SLU over the past 20 years? Jimmy McKinney is the only one that comes to mind and Fletcher from the current roster.

SLU can only do so much, if the Vashon coaches perceive their kids to be above SLU (and again I’m not sure how many guys that includes in the recent past), good luck to them. I think SLU can do just fine without kids from Vashon. With the local guys this staff has landed, this sounds like an isolated case.

9 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I’m probably missing some guys, what Vashon kids have had better options than SLU over the past 20 years? Jimmy McKinney is the only one that comes to mind.

You have a point. We're really only talking about Jesse Perry after 2 years at juco, Levi Stockard, Mario McKinney (who picked Mizzou) and now Cam Fletcher. And we'll be adding Nicholas Kern to that list in the coming months.

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You have a point. We're really only talking about Jesse Perry after 2 years at juco, Levi Stockard, Mario McKinney (who picked Mizzou) and now Cam Fletcher. And we'll be adding Nicholas Kern to that list in the coming months.

I thought Perry was Gateway Tech?

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

SLU has a lot of interest in Nicholas Kern in the 2021 class.  If Vashon's coaching staff was selling him on the idea of staying home, SLU would stand a much better chance of landing him.  He'd be as optimistic about being a Billiken as Yuri was.  We'd see Kern at a ton of games next year.

But we won't because the Vashon kids see what's going on. They know that their coaches' indifference toward the local schools indicates a problem. They may not have an in-depth understanding of the problem but the message is loud and clear: you can do better.

Kobe Clark is only interested in SLU because right now he can't do better. There are no examples of Vashon kids making the choice that Jordan Goodwin or Yuri Collins made: choosing the hometown school despite having better options. You have to really want to stay home for that to happen. You have to consider that a cool ass thing to do. Only the men at Vashon are in a position to plant that seed in the minds of their underclassmen.

So you have talked to Kobe and the coaching staff about SLU recruitment to help form your opinion on this subject?

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I know I can Google these things. Will Kern be a Power 5 caliber recruit? Anyone remember who we beat out for his dad? Who was the forward from Vashon who was a year or two after Polk? I liked that kid as well as the pg during that time. Wasn’t there a real quality power forward type big who played with Jimmy and that crew? All things I should Google or schedule a lunch with Earl.

2 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Sure you do. 

I am no AD insider but if a talented local player has real interest in being a Billiken but is being overlooked or not pursued enough, I would be happy to help and intercede. No, I am confident the SLU coaches are willing to show as much or more interest than the K State coaches to guys who are actually interested in us. 

Fletcher with an offer from Kentucky. From all reports this was the one he wanted, so I assume that eliminates any hope that any of the local schools may have been holding onto. If the above poster is correct, it doesn’t sound like any of the local programs really made him much of a priority which is surprising to me (especially from Mizzou who has his former teammate on their roster). With regards to SLU specifically, if Fletcher made it known early on he had no interest, I am fine spending our time and effort elsewhere.

I think that is my thing with some of the local city schools, they rip the local colleges and say their stars are better than the local schools yet get pissed off when those programs don’t recruit their kids above and beyond other schools. Can’t really have it both ways.

12 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I think that is my thing with some of the local city schools, they rip the local colleges and say their stars are better than the local schools yet get pissed off when those programs don’t recruit their kids above and beyond other schools. Can’t really have it both ways.

This has been a theme on this board since Leon Powell.

#VTIMEbaby #neverforget #sanjaywatts

14 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Fletcher with an offer from Kentucky. From all reports this was the one he wanted, so I assume that eliminates any hope that any of the local schools may have been holding onto. If the above poster is correct, it doesn’t sound like any of the local programs really made him much of a priority which is surprising to me (especially from Mizzou who has his former teammate on their roster). With regards to SLU specifically, if Fletcher made it known early on he had no interest, I am fine spending our time and effort elsewhere.

Quite simple. It’s patronizing. Their view of SLU is low. We are to be there for their “lesser” players and as the safe and early choice for their “better” players.  And along these same lines there is the patronizing notion to always go for the big name out-of- town school and if things don’t work out, then you can always come home and a spot will be there for u at SLU.

The only way to change this is to win. If we win, there will be a long line out the door of players who want to play for us - and that will include Vashon kids. 

TheChosenOne, CBFan and dennis_w like this

6 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Quite simple. It’s patronizing. Their view of SLU is low. We are to be there for their “lesser” players and as the safe and early choice for their “better” players.  And along these same lines there is the patronizing notion to always go for the big name out-of- town school and if things don’t work out, then you can always come home and a spot will be there for u at SLU.

The only way to change this is to win. If we win, there will be a long line out the door of players who want to play for us - and that will include Vashon kids. 

agree, sustained winning will change all. the kids stl dont think of SLu as a destination and quite honestly with the athletic history why would they. multiple runs in the tourney over the years and that will change

Dayvion McKnight - PG, 6-2, 180 - Shelbyville, KY (Martha Layne Collins) - AAU: M.A.T.T.S. Mustangs (Under Armour Rise) - Twitter: @dayvionn20
Offers: Saint Louis, Kent State, Ball State, Cleveland State, Murray State, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Winthrop, NJIT.

Interest: Butler, Iowa State, Florida, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Temple, Eastern Kentucky, Lipscomb.

Latest News: McKnight received an offer from SLU. (6/24/19)

Scouting Report: McKnight is a strong, athletic point guard with a solid all-around skill set. He has solid passing ability and facilitates in the half court and open floor. He gets into the paint whenever he wants, and his frame, strength, and bounce allows him to finish strong at the rim. He's a high-level on-ball defender and has his high school's all-time steals record after three seasons. He also owns the school's rebounding record despite his height. He needs to continue to develop his perimeter shot.

-He's a Kentucky kid, and we have been getting involved with the top KY prospects in each of the past few classes. Most of his offers have come recently, although he had a couple in the fall. SLU is the best one so far although plenty of SEC schools are sniffing around. Nice looking PG. Good athleticism and length (6-6 wingspan) make him pretty effective all over the floor. Recently visited WKU and Ball State, and he's been a priority for both for a while.

I also now show Dainja's commitment to Baylor (boo) and have moved Kasean Pryor from 2019 to 2020 because he's going to take a prep year and reclassify.

Deivon Smith - PG, 6-0, 160 - Loganville, GA (Grayson) - AAU: Atlanta Celtics (Adidas Gauntlet) - Twitter: @sneakgod
Offers: Saint Louis, Xavier, St. John's, Providence, Louisville, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Nebraska, TCU, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Georgia, Mississippi State, Oregon, Wichita State, Old Dominion, UAB, Georgia State, Hofstra.

Interest: VCU, Butler, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Kentucky, Houston, Cincinnati, Tulane, Indiana State, Kent State, Tennessee State, James Madison, Winthrop, Mercer, Charleston Southern, North Florida, Lipscomb, Liberty.

Latest News: Smith received an offer from SLU. (7/1/19)

Scouting Report: Smith is an athletic, playmaking, smart lead guard. He has blazing speed and nice bounce and creates all over the floor with his passing ability and outstanding vision. He rebounds from the guard position extremely well, and some have called him the best rebounding PG in the 2020 class. He plays tough, relentless defense. He can shoot it from the perimeter and mid-range, but his elite blow-by ability means he gets most of his points at the rim. Rankings: Rivals - 44, Prep Hoops - 43, 247Sports - 34, 247Sports Composite - 98, ESPN - 73.

Christian Fussell - PF/C, 6-10, 220 - Decatur, GA (Greenforest McCalep Christian Academy) - AAU: Team Forrest - Twitter: @C_fuss22
Offers: Saint Louis, VCU, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Tulane, SIU-Carbondale, Indiana State, Middle Tennessee, Kent State, Tennessee State, Jacksonville State, Samford, East Tennessee State, UNC-Greensboro, Charleston, Northeastern, James Madison, Appalachian State, UNC-Asheville, Charleston Southern, Presbyterian, South Carolina Upstate, Florida Gulf Coast, Kennesaw State, Stetson.

Interest: Georgia.

Latest News: Fussell received an offer from SLU. (7/2/19)

Scouting Report: Fussell is a versatile big man who can stretch the floor with his shooting. He has range out past the perimeter, can face up and hit shots over defenders from the mid-range and high post, and can catch and finish on the move. He passes well out of the post. He can guard multiple positions, rebounds, and blocks shots. He can handle the ball in the half court or in transition, where he moves well.

-His stock has blown up based on recent performances in camps. He got his first power conference offers last week from MSU and GT. He's an excellent shooter and can protect the rim at the other end. Versatility, size, potential.

brianstl likes this

11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Christian Fussell - PF/C, 6-10, 220 - Decatur, GA (Greenforest McCalep Christian Academy) - AAU: Team Forrest - Twitter: @C_fuss22
Offers: Saint Louis, VCU, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Tulane, SIU-Carbondale, Indiana State, Middle Tennessee, Kent State, Tennessee State, Jacksonville State, Samford, East Tennessee State, UNC-Greensboro, Charleston, Northeastern, James Madison, Appalachian State, UNC-Asheville, Charleston Southern, Presbyterian, South Carolina Upstate, Florida Gulf Coast, Kennesaw State, Stetson.

Interest: Georgia.

Latest News: Fussell received an offer from SLU. (7/2/19)

Scouting Report: Fussell is a versatile big man who can stretch the floor with his shooting. He has range out past the perimeter, can face up and hit shots over defenders from the mid-range and high post, and can catch and finish on the move. He passes well out of the post. He can guard multiple positions, rebounds, and blocks shots. He can handle the ball in the half court or in transition, where he moves well.

-His stock has blown up based on recent performances in camps. He got his first power conference offers last week from MSU and GT. He's an excellent shooter and can protect the rim at the other end. Versatility, size, potential.

We are staying super busy in SEC country.