Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The only weird thing is that he was going to announce his top 5 a couple weeks ago, then pulled back. I guess he thought he might have a couple big offers on the way so he could reevaluate. If so, he was right.

And no, we're not in this one.

I think Ford played it right with Love & Fletcher. Offered them early, stayed in it for a minute, and then moved on. Mizzou & Illinois are banking hard on those guys, and someone is going to lose out. 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I think Ford played it right with Love & Fletcher. Offered them early, stayed in it for a minute, and then moved on. Mizzou & Illinois are banking hard on those guys, and someone is going to lose out. 

Agreed. SLU has to offer them. Once they indicate they're not interested, then SLU can move on. Even if they're not going to consider us, SLU has to show they're serious about the top local players. No bad can come from being involved with all of them.

billiken_roy likes this

47 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Cam barely hears from the local schools.  I hope they aren't banking on him coming.  He has heard more from K State than any other local school 

1 minute ago, Coach314 said:

Cam barely hears from the local schools.  I hope they aren't banking on him coming.  He has heard more from K State than any other local school 

not sure how to take the above.    but if you are inferring that cam feels slighted from no chase from slu and other locals, well it is a two way street.   if he only wants to play with the big dogs and not return the love to the billikens, then there isnt much point in chasing.  

TheChosenOne likes this

3 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Mizzou is all in on Love.  I think Fletcher was overlooked locally.  

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

not sure how to take the above.    but if you are inferring that cam feels slighted from no chase from slu and other locals, well it is a two way street.   if he only wants to play with the big dogs and not return the love to the billikens, then there isnt much point in chasing.  

It's ALWAYS SLU's fault.

53 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Couple things:

1) I was thinking more Love than Fletcher, but in my eyes Fletcher was never coming to SLU either and Ford moved on quickly. 

2) As I mentioned above, SLU is a "local school" and very deliberately made a call not to spend recruiting resources on Love & Fletcher.  I think it was quite evident early on that neither was very interested in SLU.  

On 6/18/2019 at 10:18 AM, brianstl said:

SLU showed Fletcher as much love as anyone early on.  SLU was among the first schools to offer him and followed him around a lot two years ago.  I think SLU got a clear impression Fletcher wasn't interested.  

Agreed with the above few posts. Some recruits have little to no local school(s) interest, some have some and move on, and some keep them in it to the end or choose a local school. Each recruit is different. And of course some recruits either blossom more over time, peak younger or have steady improvement as well. There is some value in my opinion to observe the path of some, especially ones good enough to play at SLU. The staff is well aware who is interested and isn’t. 

A random player example that comes to mind in the 2020 class is  is Jaden Ivey. While Jaden is not from St. Louis, his mom is as well as lots of family. Jaden was something of a late bloomer. He has no big offers at all until he went to a Purdue camp and Matt Painter offered him when no one else did. By the time Mike Brey (the local school where his mom is a former player and ) became interested, as well as others, it became too late.  Jaden picked Purdue. It’s an apples to oranges comparison. But it was an under the radar later blooming player with St. Louis ties. 

10 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I didn’t realize The Beagles failed to qualify for Peach Jam. They really underachieved. 

Yeah, I would be interested to hear from someone connected to the program. They had three star wings in Love, Fletcher, and Moody and went 4-9. And a trio of guys who were in their program kick out to MOKAN Elite where they all appear to have played fairly well and MOKAN finished at the top of their division and is headed to Peach Jam. Apparently Ryan Kalkbrenner turned down an invite and instead played with the Mac Irvin Fire where he had a really nice spring (one of the biggest risers recruiting wise) and they make Peach Jam. I would be curious to hear about these various things, but certainly a disappointing year for the program.

Colby Jones - SG, 6-5, 175 - Pinson, AL (Mountain Brook) - AAU: Alabama Fusion (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @kovajoness
Offers: Saint Louis, Xavier, Clemson, Iowa State, Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, UAB, Middle Tennessee, Harvard, Yale, Penn, Samford, Troy, South Alabama.

Interest: Dayton, Pittsburgh, K-State, Baylor, Stanford, UNLV, San Jose State, Princeton, Western Kentucky, Rice, Chattanooga, Lipscomb.

Latest News: Jones received offers from SLU and Iowa State. (6/21/19)

Scouting Report: Jones is a sharpshooting guard with good size and a high basketball IQ. He's a strong rebounder - and not just for a guard - and a nice passer when he gets into the lane. He has also improved his ball handling and decision making, giving him the ability to play more on-ball as a big PG at times. He's not explosive but has great body control and is effective off the dribble going any direction. He's an excellent defender, with the length to guard anyone on the wing. He goes to Mountain Brook, a nationally ranked program that has won the last three AL state championships in the highest class and five of the past seven, most recently led by Trendon Watford (LSU). Rankings: Rivals - 103, Prep Hoops - 248, 247Sports - 118, 247Sports Composite - 130, Future150 - 76.

-He's really broken out this spring on the EYBL circuit, nabbing Honorable Mention honors at just about every location and lifting his team to the Peach Jam. He's a really effective scorer and hard to stop because of how strong he is going to the basket, but can also stop and pop from anywhere. A lot of what I can find about him touts his character and calls him a "glue guy". High academic kid, too. He took his first two official visits to Harvard and Yale in the fall, and I think he still has the other three left even though he's visited most schools on his offer list.

9 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Yeah, I would be interested to hear from someone connected to the program. They had three star wings in Love, Fletcher, and Moody and went 4-9. And a trio of guys who were in their program kick out to MOKAN Elite where they all appear to have played fairly well and MOKAN finished at the top of their division and is headed to Peach Jam. Apparently Ryan Kalkbrenner turned down an invite and instead played with the Mac Irvin Fire where he had a really nice spring (one of the biggest risers recruiting wise) and they make Peach Jam. I would be curious to hear about these various things, but certainly a disappointing year for the program.

I'm glad we have the Beagles point guard from last year. This year's edition didn't have one.  Caleb Love is a fantastic talent but he isn't a point guard.

53 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

sometime you just need the straw to stir the drink. i think we are going to be very pleased we have a point guard this year

I agree, but I hesitate to heap too much on Collins as a freshman.  Remember Julian Winfield's year?  I'd rather let Yuri sneak up on teams as he comes on midway through the conference season, like Kwamain Mitchell did his freshman year.

34 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I agree, but I hesitate to heap too much on Collins as a freshman.  Remember Julian Winfield's year?  I'd rather let Yuri sneak up on teams as he comes on midway through the conference season, like Kwamain Mitchell did his freshman year.

julian winfield should have never played the point, that was a promise to get him to slu. he never played the point when he went to mizzou. the best pg on that team was kevin grawer, the teamed played much better with him running the point. yuri wont sneak up on anyone , he will play well from the start. plus the fact there is no other pg on the roster

26 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

julian winfield should have never played the point, that was a promise to get him to slu. he never played the point when he went to mizzou. the best pg on that team was kevin grawer, the teamed played much better with him running the point. yuri wont sneak up on anyone , he will play well from the start. plus the fact there is no other pg on the roster

You are right. Lee and Julian knew that if he was ever to play at the next level it had to be at the point. Didn’t have the skills. While Jordan is better it’s somewhat the same story. 

dennis_w likes this

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

Actually, Julian Winfield did play some point for Mizzou.  He wasn't the primary point, but he did play some point.