Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

Graham Ike - SF, 6-9, 245 - Aurora, CO (Overland) - AAU: Colorado Hawks (Adidas) - Twitter: @Graham_Ike5

Offers: SLU, Air Force, Northern Colorado.

Interest: TBD.

Latest News: Ike received an offer from SLU. (6/5/19)

Scouting Report: Ike is a big-bodied frontcourt player who has the frame and skill set to play a 4 or 5 in college. He's a strong post player on the offensive end who can go either direction and who collects a lot of offensive boards. He's a tough, long defender who blocks shots and rebounds. He plays hard and with a lot of consistency, scoring in double digits in all but one game in his junior HS season and registering double-doubles in 17 games, including all playoff games. He's a good passer for a big and his HS team runs the offense through him, a big leap considering he played sparingly as a sophomore dealing with injuries.

-Solid big man with sound fundamentals and developing athleticism. His first two offers came last AAU season and SLU is the first this year. I haven't been able to find who else is interested currently but I'm sure he's got plenty of schools tracking him. Top-5 prospect in CO for 2020, second-team all-state this past season. Really big and strong. Good student, too.

Ramean Hinton - SG, 6-4, 180 - Chicago, IL (Curie) - AAU: Team Rose (Adidas) - Twitter: HRamean

Offers: SLU, UAB, Cleveland State.

Latest News: Hinton received an offer from SLU. (6/5/19)

Scouting Report: Hinton is a wing with a high motor and a lot of scoring ability. He plays tough and relentless on both ends. He scores on all three levels and is a high-level rebounder for his position, with great leaping ability. He's become a legitimate perimeter threat and has a quick trigger that he uses without hesitation. He plays with a ton of confidence and really emerged as a big-time threat as a junior, leading Curie to a city championship and deep playoff run and hitting a handful of game-winning shots.

-Hinton has a lot in common with Antoine Bloxton, another lightly-recruited (so far) Chicago guard who is scoring a ton this calendar year, first for his HS team and now in AAU. He's a little raw in some aspects of his game but he's got solid athleticism and length, and he plays so hard and with so much toughness, that he's going to be hard to ignore for much longer. Good offer here. Got in early.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

after reading the scouting reports offered, it seems that both players should have more and higher offers than they apparently have.  particularly Ike.   6'9" shot blocking double double guys are not all that common

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

after reading the scouting reports offered, it seems that both players should have more and higher offers than they apparently have.  particularly Ike.   6'9" shot blocking double double guys are not all that common

Looking at some video and scouting reports, I feel both are pretty underrecruited at this point. This staff has been good about identifying high-potential players that aren't being recruited at the level they should be. Sometimes the field catches up, sometimes it doesn't. But I trust their eye for talent (Anthony Drejaj, in his recent podcast interview: "Don't worry about how many offers a guy has or what his ranking is or whatever. Trust yourself. Believe your own eyes." I'm paraphrasing.).

Both are raw in some ways. Ike has a college body right now, though he needs a little fine tuning with it. I'm shocked he doesn't have more offers from the Mountain West, Big Sky, etc. And Hinton should have the Valley, Horizon, and MAC all over him by now. 🤷‍♂️

43 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

St Louis players the new 247 top 300

Love : 26

Fletcher: 38

Kalkbrenner: 92

bradford: 180

Kabsubke is at 186

Jayce Catching has picked up a third star from 247 and is at 310.  

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Looking at some video and scouting reports, I feel both are pretty underrecruited at this point. This staff has been good about identifying high-potential players that aren't being recruited at the level they should be. Sometimes the field catches up, sometimes it doesn't. But I trust their eye for talent (Anthony Drejaj, in his recent podcast interview: "Don't worry about how many offers a guy has or what his ranking is or whatever. Trust yourself. Believe your own eyes." I'm paraphrasing.).

Both are raw in some ways. Ike has a college body right now, though he needs a little fine tuning with it. I'm shocked he doesn't have more offers from the Mountain West, Big Sky, etc. And Hinton should have the Valley, Horizon, and MAC all over him by now. 🤷‍♂️

The lumbering, developing big man who needs to operate 5 -7 feet from the basket just isn't that big a draw in a era dominated by guards and quick leapers.  Graham moves and plays like former Billiken Kenny Brown.   While he isn't a good fit for a lot of teams, he's a good fit for our bully ball style of play.

Hinton is getting more of an opportunity to demonstrate guard skills during the AAU season than he did during the high school season.  We've been recruiting Curie pretty consistently the last three years.  They are a consistent source of Kansas State/Depaul level recruits.  Hopefully we can eventually land one of these guys.

16 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I like Ike! 

2020 updates:

-Bradford and Branson picked up UMKC offers. They've been offered a few times as a pair since joining MOKAN, and along with Daughtery were offered several times as a trio from Mehlville.

-Fletcher was supposed to announce his top 5 this past weekend. He cancelled and didn't say why, or when he'd actually announce. In the meantime, NC State has offered. (My prediction was that Michigan State, Mizzou, Duke, Kentucky, and UCLA were the five, but he might be waiting on actual offers from Duke and UK).

-I still can't figure out who else is recruiting Antoine Bloxton.

-Isaiah Adams will be playing at the Jay Bilas camp this weekend.

-Fletcher, A.J. James, R.J. Davis, Xavier Foster, Zed Key, Matthew Murrell, D.J. Steward, Dudley Blackwell, Mark Williams, Richard Springs, and Dain Dainja will be playing at the NBPA Top 100 Camp next week.

-Donte Houston talked about his latest offers. Of SLU, he said: "I like the way they play. They play up and down just like my high school. The coaches like the way I value my teammates and see me as a potential leader." He said he's taking his time and hoping to get more offers. His AAU team, Drive Nation, did not qualify for the Peach Jam.

-Kalkbrenner is taking an official visit to Creighton on 6/12 and an unofficial visit to Illinois on 6/17.

-Wisconsin is turning up its interest in Luke Kasubke.

-Caleb Love got an offer from Arizona. He cancelled his OV to Virginia and plans to take unofficial visits to Kansas and Tennessee in June.

-Love and Nimari Burnett are among 30 finalists for the Team USA U19 World Cup minicamp.

-Martice Mitchell picked up UMass and Rutgers offers. He visited Cal State-Fullerton this week.

And lots more here.

L.J. Cryer committed to Baylor. He's been hurt and hasn't played this AAU season yet, so his ranking has dropped. He's been a fringe-top-50 kid prior to that, though. He seemed to primarily be looking at the Texas schools and a few other SEC programs, so SLU never seemed to be in this one even though we offered.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

His dad was a head case.  Hope his son inherited some common sense from his mom.

Mad Max was quite a character.  Helluva player.  Held all the Florida records and really built that program, led them to their first NCAA tournament.  Took money from agents so all his records were expunged.  Quit the Rockets in the middle of the playoffs because Drexler took his minutes. Numerous on court fights, he beat up a fan in Portland once.  He and Gary Payton got into a fight in the locker room where they threw furniture and hit each other with barbells.  Chuck Person & Horace Grant both suffered injuries trying to break up the fight.

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Mad Max was quite a character.  Helluva player.  Held all the Florida records and really built that program, led them to their first NCAA tournament.  Took money from agents so all his records were expunged.  Quit the Rockets in the middle of the playoffs because Drexler took his minutes. Numerous on court fights, he beat up a fan in Portland once.  He and Gary Payton got into a fight in the locker room where they threw furniture and hit each other with barbells.  Chuck Person & Horace Grant both suffered injuries trying to break up the fight.

Mad Max was huge in game 7 of the 94 finals. Scored 21 and forced John Starks in a 2-18 night from the field.

nm

Jace Howard - SF, 6-7, 200 - Miami, FL (University School) - AAU: Mac Irvin Fire (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @jaceh0ward
Offers: Saint Louis, Dayton, San Diego State, Northern Illinois, Howard.

Interest: Michigan, Iowa, Texas, Florida Atlantic, Charleston, Penn, Princeton, Yale, Brown, Siena, Mercer, Georgia State.

Latest News: Howard received offers from SLU and Northern Illinois. (6/17/19)

Scouting Report: Howard is a solid wing forward who plays with a high motor. He attacks the rim and can also shoot from outside. He's a strong defender and plays with energy on both ends. He's still developing athletically but has the frame and skill set to build upon. He transferred from Gulliver Prep to University School in summer 2018. Howard is the son of former NBA player and current Michigan head coach Juwan Howard. His older brother Juwan Jr. played at Detroit, another older brother Joshua plays at Brown, and younger brother Jett is a 5-star 2022 recruit.

Tristan Maxwell - SG, 6-2, 180 - Huntersville, NC (North Mecklenburg) - AAU: Team Charlotte (Under Armour Association) - Twitter: @tristan_max12
Offers: Saint Louis, Providence, NC State, Texas A&M, South Florida, Gonzaga, Winthrop, Georgia Southern.

Interest: Virginia, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, Ohio State, Florida, Vanderbilt.

Latest News: Maxwell received an offer from SLU. (6/17/19)

Scouting Report: Maxwell is a scoring combo guard who can play the point or be the lead scoring option. He's an outstanding shooter with deep range and can also get to the rim and even post up smaller defenders. He has good passing and playmaking ability, as well. He's a relentless defender. He's strong, tough, and scores on all three levels. He is the son of former NBA player Vernon Maxwell. Rankings: Prep Hoops - 164, 247Sports - 193, 247Sports Composite - 236.

Shakeel Moore - PG, 6-1, 185 - Greensboro, NC (Piedmont) - AAU: Team CP3 (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @TheShakeelMoore
Offers: Saint Louis, Providence, DePaul, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Penn State, Cincinnati, Wichita State, South Florida, East Carolina, New Mexico, Western Carolina, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Radford, Hampton.

Interest: VCU, Georgetown, NC State, Clemson, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Murray State, Charleston, Winthrop.

Latest News: Moore received an offer from SLU. (6/17/19)

Scouting Report: Moore is a tough, physical, fearless lead guard with a pass-first mentality. He's a lock-down defender with lightning quick hands. He can score on all three levels and is an efficient shooter who should probably look for his own shot more. He's strong going to the rim, has ridiculous bounce, and doesn't shy from contact. He has excellent vision and feel at both ends. He was originally a 2019 recruit but reclassified to 2020; some schools are still talking to him about being a 2019 recruit. Rankings: 247Sports - 166, 247Sports Composite - 195.

Markhi Strickland - SF, 6-7, 200 - Miami, FL (IMG Academy) - AAU: Florida Vipers (Under Armour Association) - Twitter: @MARKHIXV
Offers: Saint Louis.

Latest News: Strickland received an offer from SLU. (6/17/19)

Scouting Report: Strickland is an athletic wing with great leaping and finishing ability. He handles the ball well for his size and runs the floor. He transferred from Florida Christian to IMG prior to his junior year. He is the son of former NBA player Mark Strickland.

-I can find very little about his recruitment at this time. He played at the NBPA Top 100 Camp, which is where the last five offers have come from.

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Cam’Ron Fletcher was offered by North Carolina today. He has also been offered by Vanderbilt and NC St. last week. 

Vandy offering Fletcher is kind of like when Travis offers these top 40 players from the East Coast when they come in town for the Top 100 showcase event. Not gonna happen...

The only weird thing is that he was going to announce his top 5 a couple weeks ago, then pulled back. I guess he thought he might have a couple big offers on the way so he could reevaluate. If so, he was right.

And no, we're not in this one.