Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All depends on the type of epilepsy, the focus or foci location, the speed of progression and whether or not a cause for it is found (no cause found in most cases). The exertion and high peaks of the  blood pressure during play tend to make it worse, and, of course, specific causes have to be ruled out or resected (tumors, AV malformations, aneurysms, etc...). Epilepsy is not OK.

Thank you for the clips Pistol. The information is journalistic, but does provide some reasonably solid bits about his disease. He has apparently had 12 seizures since age 15. That shows he is still having breakout seizures despite treatment. The other thing it shows is that  the 12 seizures he has had since age 15 were memorable events. Let me explain, petit mal seizures are brief episodes of what could be described as distraction or disconnection with the surrounding environment. Some of these may be very brief. In general petit mal episodes are not memorable events. A patient can have a moderate number of such seizures and not really be aware of it, his family and friends may consider him distracted or dreamy.  Grand mal seizures on the other hand are major episodes. A full grand mal seizure involves loss of consciousness, falls (with possible injuries, particularly if driving a car or going up or down stairs), the patient shakes uncontrollably, may bite his tongue, and has a post seizure period of being in a haze (post ichtal period, yes, the "ichtal" is the seizure itself). In between the two types, there are Jacksonian seizures (single focus seizures) where only a part of the body is shaking and there is no loss of consciousness, these seizures tend to progress to the generalized state as the disease progresses. It is to be noted that severe cases can have a mix of petit mal and grand mal seizures superimposed upon one another. Generally only the generalized seizures are noted. Epilepsy is a progressive disorder, a major issue is the speed of progression. The aim of therapy is to both prevent seizures and to slow down progression.

Kiyrion is a courageous kid from a dedicated and deserving family that has worked hard to excel in basketball. However, with a history of 12 breakthrough generalized seizures while under therapy, I think we would be better off without him in the team.

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

Thank you for the clips Pistol. The information is journalistic, but does provide some reasonably solid bits about his disease. He has apparently had 12 seizures since age 15. That shows he is still having breakout seizures despite treatment. The other thing it shows is that  the 12 seizures he has had since age 15 were memorable events. Let me explain, petit mal seizures are brief episodes of what could be described as distraction or disconnection with the surrounding environment. Some of these may be very brief. In general petit mal episodes are not memorable events. A patient can have a moderate number of such seizures and not really be aware of it, his family and friends may consider him distracted or dreamy.  Grand mal seizures on the other hand are major episodes. A full grand mal seizure involves loss of consciousness, falls (with possible injuries, particularly if driving a car or going up or down stairs), the patient shakes uncontrollably, may bite his tongue, and has a post seizure period of being in a haze (post ichtal period, yes, the "ichtal" is the seizure itself). In between the two types, there are Jacksonian seizures (single focus seizures) where only a part of the body is shaking and there is no loss of consciousness, these seizures tend to progress to the generalized state as the disease progresses. It is to be noted that severe cases can have a mix of petit mal and grand mal seizures superimposed upon one another. Generally only the generalized seizures are noted. Epilepsy is a progressive disorder, a major issue is the speed of progression. The aim of therapy is to both prevent seizures and to slow down progression.

Kiyrion is a courageous kid from a dedicated and deserving family that has worked hard to excel in basketball. However, with a history of 12 breakthrough generalized seizures while under therapy, I think we would be better off without him in the team.

THC, or CBD has shown in many cases to be the answer.

Google it I'm too.......

10 minutes ago, courtside said:

Caleb Love was offered by North Carolina today. 

Were we ever on his radar? Probably not. Bradford's the gem for us, but according to the reports on here, he's opening a lot of eyes. 

12 hours ago, slu72 said:

Were we ever on his radar? Probably not. Bradford's the gem for us, but according to the reports on here, he's opening a lot of eyes. 

No, Dain Dainja is the gem for us.  Wait, he's better than that.  He's more like the mine where all the gems come from, and he needs to be priority No. 1 from here on out.

WE NEED DAIN DAINJA.

13 hours ago, slu72 said:

I think because coach Ford brought in 2 freshman bigs that he figures probably won’t get Bradford, but I could be wrong and I hope I am.

It would be nice to find another player just like French that could spend a year with him to learn how to play just like him except the free throws.

15 hours ago, slu72 said:

Caleb Love will not be playing basketball in the state of Missouri, that's for sure. Based on literally nothing, I bet he ends up at UNC. I do think their style of play would be a good fit for him.

4 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Caleb Love will not be playing basketball in the state of Missouri, that's for sure. Based on literally nothing, I bet he ends up at UNC. I do think their style of play would a goof fit for him.

Yep, I may just be thinking this but I thought I heard/read that UNC was a dream school.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

I think because coach Ford brought in 2 freshman bigs that he figures probably won’t get Bradford, but I could be wrong and I hope I am.

It would be nice to find another player just like French that could spend a year with him to learn how to play just like him except the free throws.

He brought in two bigs because besides French, we don't have any. It just so happens they're freshmen.  Bringing in two projects doesn't preclude Coach Ford from bringing in a non-project in 2020. The last two 2020 offers have been to big men.

StlBills likes this

52 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Yep, I may just be thinking this but I thought I heard/read that UNC was a dream school.

Yeah, now that I think about it,  I vaguely remember hearing something similar. So I guess my prediction isn't entirely baseless.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

He brought in two bigs because besides French, we don't have any. It just so happens they're freshmen.  Bringing in two projects doesn't preclude Coach Ford from bringing in a non-project in 2020. The last two 2020 offers have been to big men.

Fair enough 3 star I would like to see ready to play as freshman bigs commitments for 2020.

Happy Friday 

Love has never shown interest in SLU. But, he is a local player, offered by SLU. 

Dainja, SLU isn’t getting in early for him. Some were able to get in early and saw his promise. He continues to blossom in a big way. He took unofficial visits to Baylor, Illinois, Marquette, Minnesota, Northwestern. He is taking official visits to Ohio St., Louisville and others.  His teammate is Jalen Suggs, a 5 star recruit whom many regard as the best point point guard in his class. Suggs has been offered by a who’s who of schools. So, a who’s who of coaches regularly attend their games. (Suggs is also one of the best football QB’s nationally) Dainja would be a great get. Competition will be steep. 

5 hours ago, Box and Won said:

No, Dain Dainja is the gem for us.  Wait, he's better than that.  He's more like the mine where all the gems come from, and he needs to be priority No. 1 from here on out.

WE NEED DAIN DAINJA

Dainja Watch yourself show me whatcha workin with

6 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Kind of an interesting 2020 offer for Ford and USL, no?

We offered Matthew Nunez several months ago; he's on the same AAU team. We've been somewhat active in the DC area, especially if you include the larger region around it. Jimerson is from Richmond. We've offered plenty of Boo Williams kids.

Ashley (A.J.) James - PG, 6-4, 190 - Virginia Beach, VA (Hargrave Military Academy) - Twitter: @AceBuggy10

Offers: SLU, VCU, Fresno State, Murray State, East Tennessee State, Hofstra, Hampton, Norfolk State, North Carolina A&T.

Interest: Temple, Quinnipiac, Radford, Coppin State.

Latest News: James received an offer from SLU. (5/20/19)

Scouting Report: James is a long, athletic scoring point guard. He is quick and strong getting to the rim, where he finishes with either hand or has excellent dishing ability. He's a great ball handler in traffic or the open court. He has a compact, replicable stroke. He's active on both ends and plays with a ton of energy and confidence. He transferred from Green Run HS to Hargrave Military Academy, where he will spend his senior year. His sister, Aziaha, is a D-I basketball recruit, as well.

Does anyone happen to know if SLU has shown any interest in Jayce Catchings out at Liberty, by the way??  He's beginning to grow into his adult body (up to 6'3"), is lifting, and I think was 2nd in MO in scoring last year as a junior...avg. over 26/game!  He can fill it up.  & I happen to know from an insider he is being under-recruitedc -- I wonder why?? -- but anyway he has not blown up yet, for sure.  Maybe some think he is not D1 ready??  I'm not sure.  His older brother Kale plays at Harvard, who barely lost out to Yale this year for the dance.  and yes: both are related to former 76ers Harvey Catchings.

19 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Does anyone happen to know if SLU has shown any interest in Jayce Catchings out at Liberty, by the way??  He's beginning to grow into his adult body (up to 6'3"), is lifting, and I think was 2nd in MO in scoring last year as a junior...avg. over 26/game!  He can fill it up.  & I happen to know from an insider he is being under-recruitedc -- I wonder why?? -- but anyway he has not blown up yet, for sure.  Maybe some think he is not D1 ready??  I'm not sure.  His older brother Kale plays at Harvard, who barely lost out to Yale this year for the dance.  and yes: both are related to former 76ers Harvey Catchings.

Tamika is their aunt. My mom is really close with theirs and I ask her for the scoop in Jayce all the time. He’s getting some offers but not to the level I thought he would be. He is growing and is a great kid. I would love to see SLU look at him.  

3 hours ago, DoctorB said:

In general, it seems like these days if you're not playing at a high school that plays a competitive schedule....you need to be on a good AAU team were you are getting minutes and able to showcase your game.  Schools like CBC,  Chaminade, Mehlville, Vashon get coaches visiting during open gyms.  It's all about exposure.  I believe Jayce is on BBE ....perhaps he doesn't have a big role this year.