Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are both love and fletcher offerred by duke or are both nothing but backup plans at this point?

30 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Are both love and fletcher offerred by duke or are both nothing but backup plans at this point?

Duke has a backup plan? Always figured they just got the pick of the litters, and left the runts for everyone else to pick over. 

On 4/22/2019 at 9:52 AM, Pistol said:

New offers:

Nimari Burnett - SG, 6-4, 180 - Chicago, IL (Prolific Prep, CA) - Twitter: @NimariBurnett

Offers: SLU, Marquette, St. John's, DePaul, Louisville, Ohio State, Indiana, Illinois, LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Arizona, Oregon, Arizona State, USC, Stanford, California, Nevada, Fresno State, Pacific, Cal State-Fullerton.

Interest: Michigan, Wisconsin, Auburn, Gonzaga.

Latest News: Burnett received an offer from SLU. (4/22/19)

Scouting Report: Burnett is a do-everything combo guard with explosive athleticism and a high basketball IQ. He can shoot it well past NBA range, creates his shot off the bounce, and has good court vision. He can guard multiple positions and make plays from anywhere on the floor. He's one of the top guards in the 2020 class. He transferred from Morgan Park in Chicago out to Prolific Prep in Napa, CA between his freshman and sophomore years. Rankings: Rivals - 26, Prep Hoops - 30, 247Sports - 27, 247Sports Composite - 25, Future150 - 94, ESPN - 24.

Donte Houston, Jr. - PF, 6-8, 220 - Garland, TX (Lakeview Centennial) - Twitter: @_dmoney13

Offers: SLU, Seton Hall, TCU, Houston.

Interest: Georgetown, Michigan, Purdue, Texas Tech, K-State, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Wichita State, Tulsa, Colorado State, Texas-San Antonio.

Latest News: Houston received an offer from SLU. (4/22/19)

Scouting Report: Houston is a tough, athletic power forward who plays with a relentless motor on both ends. He has good length and timing and is a strong rebounder and shot blocker. He can step out and shoot the three or put it on the deck and attack the rim, where he's a great finisher.

-As others have pointed out, the Burnett offer is pretty surprising, given his stature as a recruit already. At first I thought that since he's a Chicago kid, maybe he's playing with a Chicago AAU team this summer and we're trying to recruit certain programs, but he's playing for Team WhyNot from California, a program we haven't recruited heavily. So it is probably a statement for the Chicago area and the West Coast, where we haven't been particularly active.

-I'm surprised Houston doesn't have more offers at this point. He's a really good looking player. I'd expect a major jump for him this summer as he's playing for Drive Nation (TX) on the Nike EYBL AAU circuit.

Curious on Donte Houston why he did not have a Rivals Star Ranking?

52 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Does anyone know what is up with some of the local kids playing with MOKAN instead of BBE? I saw where Kasubke, Bradford, and Branson are all playing with them and a younger kid like Tarris Reed from Chaminade is as well.

I think they are looking for more playing time?

15 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

4 Duke coaches, including Krzyzewski, St. Louisan Chris Carrawell (He has been recruiting both Fletcher and Love for years) who is back on staff at Duke after being on Wojo’s Marquette staff a while, visited 5 star Jalen Johnson, (Milwaukee Nicolet) last night in Milwaukee. He’s making the rounds. Nicolet defeated Chaminade in the Highland Shootout this past season. Johnson had a triple double. (19,13,11) Luke Kasubke had 28.  

Chris Mack and Louisville will be in Wednesday to see both Fletcher and Love.

It’s frustrating to see SPUMAC (is that nickname still a thing?) continue to be mentioned with guys like Love and Fletcher. We are the better program and much closer to home for both.  I get that it’s a conference thing. Won’t matter in the end because neither are going to Mizzou. Would still like to see our name mentioned/ possibly get some visits. 

11 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I think they are looking for more playing time?

BBE appears to be fairly weak in the post, so I would have to think Bradford would be their top big man and for MOKAN he teams up with N’Faly Dante assuming they play together. BBE is loaded on the wing though with their three studs (Moody/Love/Fletcher), so maybe Luke didn’t love his perceived role and I imagine Branson would be a deep bench guy although I’m not seeing a ton of depth on their roster. Just seeing the lack of numbers on BBE and those three (I know Luke and Branson had been with the program a long time) playing with MOKAN I wondered if something was up.

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

It’s frustrating to see SPUMAC (is that nickname still a thing?) continue to be mentioned with guys like Love and Fletcher. We are the better program and much closer to home for both.  I get that it’s a conference thing. Won’t matter in the end because neither are going to Mizzou. Would still like to see our name mentioned/ possibly get some visits. 

How many unranked mid-majors are mentioned with top 35 recruits?

56 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

BBE appears to be fairly weak in the post, so I would have to think Bradford would be their top big man and for MOKAN he teams up with N’Faly Dante assuming they play together. BBE is loaded on the wing though with their three studs (Moody/Love/Fletcher), so maybe Luke didn’t love his perceived role and I imagine Branson would be a deep bench guy although I’m not seeing a ton of depth on their roster. Just seeing the lack of numbers on BBE and those three (I know Luke and Branson had been with the program a long time) playing with MOKAN I wondered if something was up.

Nothing necessarily up but KState and now Nebraska are following Kasubke around.

54 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

BBE has 3 top 50 score first wings on their roster and had a fourth who is in the top 150 before Williams went down with injury.  There just aren't enough balls to go around for the big men in that line-up.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Maybe so but I would imagine with 3 Duke/Kentucky level recruits on the roster they saw there weren’t going to be enough shots to go around. 

Im just guessing. Definitely not an expert. And i would always prefer the local guys play for BBE

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

This has been happening for a while with BBE/Eagles.  Kids will play 15u/16u then find out there isn't a spot for them or their role will be reduced 17u.  MOKAN provides them an opportunity to play and still be in the EYBL.

@brianstl @RiseAndGrind @Coach314 agreed, having three wings the caliber of Moody/Love/Fletcher would certainly impact the number of shots guys like Kasubke or Branson (minutes in general for him) would get and touches for a guy like Bradford even if he were in theory their best post option. And seeing one of the top freshman in the area (Tarris Reed) playing for MOKAN had me wondering if there could be more to it.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Nothing necessarily up but KState and now Nebraska are following Kasubke around.

Nebraska offered Kasubke, Branson, and Bradford on the same day. Hoiberg is sending a message to MOKAN Elite.

Assuming the tweet @wgstl shared above is correct - I can't confirm the offer elsewhere - here's D.J. Gordon's bio:

D.J. Gordon - SG, 6-5, 170 - Pittsburgh, PA (First Love Christian Academy) - Twitter: @Baby_Ingram1

Offers: SLU, VCU, Dayton, DePaul, Virginia Tech, TCU, Arizona State, Wichita State, South Florida, Kent State, Eastern Michigan Monmouth, Hofstra, Central Connecticut State.

Interest: Providence, Clemson, Pitt, Michigan, Illinois, Maryland, Penn State, K-State, West Virginia, Kentucky, Auburn, Mississippi State, Arizona, Cincinnati, Temple, Tulsa, Green Bay.

Latest News: DePaul, TCU, Pitt, and West Virginia were out to visit Gordon this week. (4/24/19)

Scouting Report: Gordon is a very athletic wing with great length. He's an outstanding finisher and can step out and shoot it from 3, as well. A big-time scorer, he's also an excellent rebounder for his position. He's got a high basketball IQ and plays with tenacity and attitude. He transferred from Obama Academy to First Love between his sophomore and junior years. Rankings: Rivals - 148, 247Sports - 89, 247Sports Composite - 150.

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Nebraska offered Kasubke, Branson, and Bradford on the same day. Hoiberg is sending a message to MOKAN Elite.

Hoiberg scares me as a guy who could make inroads in STL. While at Iowa State he preferred transfers, maybe it has a different approach now. 

9 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Hoiberg scares me as a guy who could make inroads in STL. While at Iowa State he preferred transfers, maybe it has a different approach now. 

He hired Matt Abdelmassih, Charlie Henry, Armon Gates, Doc Sadler, and Bobby Lutz. Abdelmassih is known as one of the best recruiters out there. None of them have STL ties, from what I can tell in their backgrounds. Their strongest ties seem to be NYC, Chicago, Iowa, Texas, North Carolina, and the Twin Cities. Karrington Davis (Chaminade) is on the roster, though, and STL is a strong enough market and close enough to Lincoln that it makes sense for them to recruit. Still, I think the recent offers have more to do with MOKAN than with STL. It just so happens that MOKAN is stocked with STL kids this year.

johnbj14 likes this