Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

I think @courtside sort of nailed it with Brandenburg. Brandenburg was part of the much hailed at the time 2008 regional crop of recruits. Four guys in the top 100, Brandenburg included. Those four all ended up being disappointing. Harrellson ended up being the best player out of the whole group and he didn’t even crack the top 300 until the end of his senior season.

Earl has been watching Gateway this weekend and tweeted this yesterday. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/earlaustinjr/status/1117137587083403266

Keita and Gassama are worth tracking at DeSmet. A couple of years left. Making progress. Keita had 26 boards in a tourney title win v H. Central. (13 pts) One is more back to basket, one more face up, one more physically strong and mature, one a bit leaner. 

Brandenburg had a low basketball IQ, (great student) inconsistent temperament, but he had the length, and athleticism. He couldn’t combine skillsets and be consistent. He had flashes. Berry had a high basketball IQ, a more productive and consistent offensive player. Lacked strength and athleticism. Almost won a state title for DeSmet.   

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you last 3 posters are missing is that the two DeSmet bigs are a year behind Bradford, when we should have enough open scholarships to be able to land both of them, if they merit offers. 

I would be very happy to have Bell, Bradford and the two DeSmet bigs on a roster with Terrence H., Collins, Jimerson and other Ford recruits, hopefully including  Luke K. from Chaminade and Love from CBC! 

Lets also remember that Ford should have an inside track to DeSmet since his son Brooks  played for their HC a year ago.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Well yeah 

If you think French is a bad free throw shooter wait until you see Bradford (43.8%). Not a huge fan of Bradford’s motor, attitude, or foot speed. I’d actually rather have Kalkbrenner for a lot of the reasons you were talking about, we need more skill and less just athletes. Plays hard, natural shot blocker, can shoot it from outside, and moves well for his size. As a ball screener he could pop or dive. Might take a year in the weight room but think his ceiling is super high.

17 hours ago, courtside said:

Brandenburg had a low basketball IQ, (great student) inconsistent temperament, but he had the length, and athleticism. He couldn’t combine skillsets and be consistent. He had flashes. Berry had a high basketball IQ, a more productive and consistent offensive player. Lacked strength and athleticism. Almost won a state title for DeSmet.   

Berry also struggled with injuries.  Those can be a killer for a big like him who needs to be healthy to gain strength and develop.  https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ben-frederickson/benfred-easy-ed-s-grandson-nolan-berry-back-in-love/article_7230383e-6a3d-57e9-ba0b-fc6745f42c9b.html

On 4/14/2019 at 9:26 AM, 3star_recruit said:

Success for project basketball players at the college level is all about fit.  Skinny, run the floor type of bigs need to go to a situation where the offense has a finesse component.  That way they can get game minutes while their bodies are still developing.  

Bully-ball would not be a good fit for a player like Kalkbrenner.  Even with the skill guys the staff is bringing in, nobody will ever mistake the Billikens for a finesse-oriented team.  Buzz Peterson said Travis Ford's ideal team is a bunch of strong, tough guys who can bench press 500 lbs.  There's a lot of truth in that. 

I think that's what our team has been the past two seasons, because of losing some of our skilled guys to various "issues."  I'm not convinced that bully-ball is Ford's preferred style or what he recruits to.  I expect that the new class of guys this year and future guys that Travis brings in will play a different style than what we've seen recently.  They'll still be coached to play hard defense and rebound, but I don't expect to continue to see bully-ball.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:35 AM, 3star_recruit said:

Or he could go to a place like Belmont or Valpo, be an all-conference player by his sophomore year and transfer to the high-major of his choice after that.  I'm a Billiken fan but first and foremost I'm a fan of players reaching their full potential.  We aren't a good fit right now.  And neither are any of the high-majors that have offered him, frankly.

Usually, I agree with most of what you say, but saying that Travis, Steele at Xavier and Weber at K-state are making a mistake offering a guy seems a bit over board as far as an opinion goes.  These guys make millions making the right calls on these recruits.  I would tend to trust their judgment.  I'm sure these guys and their coaching staffs are seeing things you are not.

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

Seems late to be getting involved with a Five Star guard in 2020 class. Don’t see us having a chance at this guy. 

Agreed. May be one of those times where Coach Ford is just making the offer to keep SLU's name out there associated with top recruits. With that said - lets get him! 

27 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Agreed. May be one of those times where Coach Ford is just making the offer to keep SLU's name out there associated with top recruits. With that said - lets get him! 

That's exactly the reason. He does this every year. California has a ton of 3 star players. Doesn't hurt to name drop to get their attention every now and then.

New offers:

Nimari Burnett - SG, 6-4, 180 - Chicago, IL (Prolific Prep, CA) - Twitter: @NimariBurnett

Offers: SLU, Marquette, St. John's, DePaul, Louisville, Ohio State, Indiana, Illinois, LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Arizona, Oregon, Arizona State, USC, Stanford, California, Nevada, Fresno State, Pacific, Cal State-Fullerton.

Interest: Michigan, Wisconsin, Auburn, Gonzaga.

Latest News: Burnett received an offer from SLU. (4/22/19)

Scouting Report: Burnett is a do-everything combo guard with explosive athleticism and a high basketball IQ. He can shoot it well past NBA range, creates his shot off the bounce, and has good court vision. He can guard multiple positions and make plays from anywhere on the floor. He's one of the top guards in the 2020 class. He transferred from Morgan Park in Chicago out to Prolific Prep in Napa, CA between his freshman and sophomore years. Rankings: Rivals - 26, Prep Hoops - 30, 247Sports - 27, 247Sports Composite - 25, Future150 - 94, ESPN - 24.

Donte Houston, Jr. - PF, 6-8, 220 - Garland, TX (Lakeview Centennial) - Twitter: @_dmoney13

Offers: SLU, Seton Hall, TCU, Houston.

Interest: Georgetown, Michigan, Purdue, Texas Tech, K-State, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Wichita State, Tulsa, Colorado State, Texas-San Antonio.

Latest News: Houston received an offer from SLU. (4/22/19)

Scouting Report: Houston is a tough, athletic power forward who plays with a relentless motor on both ends. He has good length and timing and is a strong rebounder and shot blocker. He can step out and shoot the three or put it on the deck and attack the rim, where he's a great finisher.

-As others have pointed out, the Burnett offer is pretty surprising, given his stature as a recruit already. At first I thought that since he's a Chicago kid, maybe he's playing with a Chicago AAU team this summer and we're trying to recruit certain programs, but he's playing for Team WhyNot from California, a program we haven't recruited heavily. So it is probably a statement for the Chicago area and the West Coast, where we haven't been particularly active.

-I'm surprised Houston doesn't have more offers at this point. He's a really good looking player. I'd expect a major jump for him this summer as he's playing for Drive Nation (TX) on the Nike EYBL AAU circuit.