Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Schasz said:

OK I left St. Louis in 1996 and I do not recall a Catholic HS named Trinity. Where is Trinity and when was it opened?

Rosary and Aquinas combined about 20 years ago.  Both the schools had flagging attendance.  At first they continued to be a soccer powerhouse but recently they have hired top notch coaches in football and basketball and both of those programs have skyrocketed.  Football at Trinity churns out 5 star prospects and has essentially consolidated all the North County talent decimating the old suburban north programs.  They are in the process of doing the same in baskebtall.

Schasz likes this

Thanks for the video.  Talent and skill obviously shown in film.  Great video for a summer pick up games and leagues.  No demonstration of strength, power, inside game for immediate success in the A10.  Prospect big is a lot different than a GS big to replace Foreman next year. 

14 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Thanks for the video.  Talent and skill obviously shown in film.  Great video for a summer pick up games and leagues.  No demonstration of strength, power, inside game for immediate success in the A10.  Prospect big is a lot different than a GS big to replace Foreman next year. 

Strength and power are nice but an inside player can certainly be successful without being strong. I like the way this kid moves, his ability to put the ball on the floor and his soft hands. Don't know if he has any kind of outside shot but if he can hit a 15+ ft shot with any regularity I wouldn't dismiss his chance to contribute early. He's much more fluid in his movements than Austin Gilmore or some of our past skinny bigs. 

25 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

I hear you, but I really don’t want to see rebounds ripped out of the hands of our players the way they were in the past. The strength of our team now is light years ahead of that if the past.

We have “enough” athleticism, strength, power in the team we put on the floor now. We could really use some finesse. I wouldn’t be worried about one player on the floor being perceived as weak.

11 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

I hear you, but I really don’t want to see rebounds ripped out of the hands of our players the way they were in the past. The strength of our team now is light years ahead of that if the past.

Success for project basketball players at the college level is all about fit.  Skinny, run the floor type of bigs need to go to a situation where the offense has a finesse component.  That way they can get game minutes while their bodies are still developing.  

Bully-ball would not be a good fit for a player like Kalkbrenner.  Even with the skill guys the staff is bringing in, nobody will ever mistake the Billikens for a finesse-oriented team.  Buzz Peterson said Travis Ford's ideal team is a bunch of strong, tough guys who can bench press 500 lbs.  There's a lot of truth in that. 

billiken_roy likes this

46 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Success for project basketball players at the college level is all about fit.  Skinny, run the floor type of bigs need to go to a situation where the offense has a finesse component.  That way they can get game minutes while their bodies are still developing.  

Bully-ball would not be a good fit for a player like Kalkbrenner.  Even with the skill guys the staff is bringing in, nobody will ever mistake the Billikens for a finesse-oriented team.  Buzz Peterson said Travis Ford's ideal team is a bunch of strong, tough guys who can bench press 500 lbs.  There's a lot of truth in that. 

I agree, though Earl says this guy hands out lots of rejection slips. He can contribute to Bully Ball for that reason.

Long term, he can back up Jimmy Bell at center and serve as a great practice player with his shot blocking skill. Would love to see Yuri throw  some alley oops to this guy.

16 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

I agree, though Earl says this guy hands out lots of rejection slips. He can contribute to Bully Ball for that reason.

Long term, he can back up Jimmy Bell at center and serve as a great practice player with his shot blocking skill. Would love to see Yuri throw  some alley oops to this guy.

Or he could go to a place like Belmont or Valpo, be an all-conference player by his sophomore year and transfer to the high-major of his choice after that.  I'm a Billiken fan but first and foremost I'm a fan of players reaching their full potential.  We aren't a good fit right now.  And neither are any of the high-majors that have offered him, frankly.

28 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Hate to say this but he looks like a Gillmann type

I think @courtside sort of nailed it with Brandenburg. Brandenburg was part of the much hailed at the time 2008 regional crop of recruits. Four guys in the top 100, Brandenburg included. Those four all ended up being disappointing. Harrellson ended up being the best player out of the whole group and he didn’t even crack the top 300 until the end of his senior season.

The comparisons to Brandenberg are apt.  Brandenberg essentially had one good weekend in AAU and blew up.  He never put up big numbers in HS.

Programs are desperate for size.  I just don't see it though.  He's better than Gillman but I don't think he is better than Nolan Berry was.  With these tall project guys it comes down to how much they are willing to put in.  If Ford sees that work ethic then go for it.  I just don't think his skills are that great, and he looks awkward in his movements.  

38 minutes ago, thetorch said:

The comparisons to Brandenberg are apt.  Brandenberg essentially had one good weekend in AAU and blew up.  He never put up big numbers in HS.

Programs are desperate for size.  I just don't see it though.  He's better than Gillman but I don't think he is better than Nolan Berry was.  With these tall project guys it comes down to how much they are willing to put in.  If Ford sees that work ethic then go for it.  I just don't think his skills are that great, and he looks awkward in his movements.  

Just from watching him dribble and move in the video, you can tell he’s already 10x the player Gillman was

cgeldmacher likes this