Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

Seen Kalkbrenner play several times.  Very slight frame.  He has good defensive instincts alters and blocks a ton of shots.  Offensively not real polished.  Not a great rebounder.  Unless he's gotten significantly better in a few weeks I'm just not seeing the reason behind these offers.  

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife used to work with his mother.  She played on the women's team.  His parents met through a group called the Tiptoppers.  Its an organization for tall people.

Great family.  He also has a brother who I think should be a freshman in high school.  If Ryan comes here and works out, we could have another center two years later.

On 4/8/2019 at 7:43 PM, thetorch said:

Seen Kalkbrenner play several times.  Very slight frame.  He has good defensive instincts alters and blocks a ton of shots.  Offensively not real polished.  Not a great rebounder.  Unless he's gotten significantly better in a few weeks I'm just not seeing the reason behind these offers.  

He's better than former Desmet big man John Brandenburg was at the same point and Brandenburg was also getting high major offers.

Kalkbrenner is a true 7 footer who runs the floor well, is a good shot blocker and doesn't look totally lost on offense.  That's all you have to be at that size to get high major offers.  The bar is pretty low. Most 7 footers undergo dramatic physical transformations in college and as a recruiter you have to account for that.

Zink likes this

8 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

My wife used to work with his mother.  She played on the women's team.  His parents met through a group called the Tiptoppers.  Its an organization for tall people.

Great family.  He also has a brother who I think should be a freshman in high school.  If Ryan comes here and works out, we could have another center two years later.

What’s his mother’s maiden name? 

9 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Look at the picture, he can dunk.

I saw more dunks in this kid's video than I saw in all the Jitoolbah videos - and that kid got several high major offers. Yes the bar is low for 7-footers.

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

What’s his mother’s maiden name? 

Was just about to ask this.

First draft of his profile:

Ryan Kalkbrenner - C, 7-0, 225 - St. Louis, MO (Trinity) - Twitter: @RyanKalkbrenner

Offers: SLU, Xavier, Illinois, K-State, Rice, Louisiana-Monroe.

Interest: Mizzou, Tulsa.

Latest News: Kalkbrenner received offers from SLU and Xavier. (4/12/19)

Scouting Report: Kalkbrenner is a long, lean post player and rim protector. Already an elite shot blocker with great timing and a knack for taking possession, he has consistently improved as a rebounder and offensive player. He can score on the block or play some pick and pop, with range out past the 3-point line. He's got good athleticism for his size and runs the floor very well. He's a 4.0 student and his mom played basketball at SLU.

16 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

No, but I also don't know what a header picture is.

If you view the Trinity men's basketball tweet in Twitter (click the blue bird icon) and then close the post (click the "X" in the upper right corner), the header image for the Trinity hoops account is the photo at the top.

I see my former fellow assistant coach Jeff McCaw in that photo.

Eric Bossi, for one, has talked him up quite a bit lately, especially at the annual SwishNDish in Milwaukee recently. Big men always take longer to develop, some do some don’t. Some don’t until college. 

I wonder that he is 6'11" has anything to do with it.  Yes I do remember Jolly but as they say you can't teach 6'11"