Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

18 hours ago, EssEllYou said:

Anyone got some good Intel on this Bloxton recruit? Google doesnt result in too much.

I'll have a bio up for him sometime later today. EDIT: I'm afraid I don't have anything to add in terms of a bio, other than a few mentions I found calling him an "impact transfer" for Bogan, and saying he's a natural scorer with a smooth all-around game and good feel for the game. He's not in box scores from this season because he's been sitting due to the transfer, he's got minimal mentions from AAU, he doesn't have his own Twitter account, and he has no other offers or interest that I can verify.

EssEllYou likes this

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

I'll have a bio up for him sometime later today. EDIT: I'm afraid I don't have anything to add in terms of a bio, other than a few mentions I found calling him an "impact transfer" for Bogan, and saying he's a natural scorer with a smooth all-around game and good feel for the game. He's not in box scores from this season, he's not mentioned in his team's Twitter account until today, he's got minimal mentions from AAU, he doesn't have his own Twitter account, and he has no other offers or interest that I can verify.

Does anyone know if he's sitting this year? He transferred from Julian last summer.

That's basically what the tweet said: Since he transferred after the semester break last year, he's just now becoming eligible. 

I wasn't at the Centralia tournament last year but if a sophomore makes the all-tournament team , his progress is worth tracking.  Everybody else on that team was a senior. On the strength of that performance alone, Bloxton's no worse than top 15 in his class.

Here's a video of him working out over the summer. He was 6'2 in this vid: 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1857708681202107&id=1851470551825920&_rdr

Wow, I misread the last sentence of that tweet. Just becoming eligible now. Duh.

I saw the FB video. Doesn't show a lot but at least gives an idea of size. He's listed at 6-3 in a few other spots.

57 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Wow, I misread the last sentence of that tweet. Just becoming eligible now. Duh.

I saw the FB video. Doesn't show a lot but at least gives an idea of size. He's listed at 6-3 in a few other spots.

-so Bloxton plays for Bogan but transferred from Julian, on just a geographical basis, this is very close to transferring from UCity to Webster Groves, the kid sat out the year, but I wonder what caused the transfer, unfortunately lately my radar goes up when seeing high school transfer, could be and I hope is completely legit

-some years CPL playoffs are on cable, will try to watch if they get that far

22 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

As long as our staff is observing Bogan players, I wonder what the staff thinks of Bloxton's teammate, unsigned senior Rashaun Agee. He's an old-school 6'8 215 lb power forward, putting up 20 and 12 on a regular basis.  He landed an offer from Buffalo about three weeks ago.

-I can't determine what level of CPL Bogan is in, but Buffalo seems to know what they are doing lately if comparative recruiting matters, and to me it does, not be all end all, but an indicator

4 hours ago, slusam said:

Offered Woody Newton from Mt Zion Prep

Averaging a double/double on one of the top ranked teams in the nation:

http://endlessmotor.net/2019/01/07/athletic-2020-combo-forward-woody-newton-discusses-early-season-success-with-mt-zion-recruitment-with-2-unofficial-visits-on-the-horizon/

Here he is practicing...

It seems odd that we have a string of decent coaches since Grawer saved us from D-2, 2 fairly high profile (Spoon RM) and until TF I don't remember us having a prayer and or offering so many 3-4* recruits. With the explosion of knowledge, web, TV etc it is easier to learn when we do now but I still don't think any of the past guys offered much less got interest from so many high recruits. We assume it ain't cash and if one is too look at his record that doesn't seem to be something to hang your hat on so what is? I fear we have this run of recruits dries up and were back the also received offers from Evansville, SIU, W Michigan, UMKC types.

Woody Newton - PF, 6-8, 190 - Washington, DC (Mt. Zion Prep, MD) - Twitter: @WNewton_23

Offers: SLU, Xavier, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Penn State, K-State, Cincinnati.

Interest: Georgetown, Virginia, Louisville, Syracuse, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Central Florida.

Latest News: Newton received an offer from SLU. He visited VT in late January and will head to Louisville next week when they host Duke. (2/4/19)

Scouting Report: Newton is a very athletic forward who can impact the game from anywhere. He is an excellent slasher who makes plays when he goes downhill, and has a nice stroke from the perimeter. He's a good rebounder and shot blocker with good length. He has a good feel for the game and understands spacing, positioning, and footwork at both ends. He needs to add to his frame and has a lot of potential. He transferred from McKinley Tech in DC to Mt. Zion Prep in Baltimore and reclassified from 2019 to 2020; a fall birthday, he was young for his class. Rankings: Rivals - 74, PrepHoops - 112, 247sports - 65, 247sports Composite - 67, Future150 - 60.

-He doesn't have a gigantic list of suitors, but he says the 6 schools recruiting him the hardest are Xavier, VT, Louisville, Maryland, Syracuse, and West Virgina, and most of them have been involved for quite a while. So it's an uphill battle against tough competitors here. I like the look of his game, seems like a kid with a lot of potential, plays hard.

-I went to DeSmet on Friday to get a look at their two bigs and while frustrating but no big surprise, one ref decided to call fouls on them early and often,  I will say that both are pretty well developed physically, move very well, are athletic and showed some nice moves but all of this is based on the very limited viewing that was offered, they get CBC at home next week and will try to get to that one for a better look

-at halftime DeSmet honored their 1979 and 1999 state championship teams, they had more in attendance from the 79 team, including Frank,  than the 99 team and I found that interesting

I witnessed an interesting game tonight between the Parkway West Longhorns and Mehlville. The game started off slow for the Panthers as they got in foul trouble, against a 2 win team. This was no challenging feat for them. As they eased past the Longhorns by half.  Davion Bradford scored 11 points leading the parade of panthers, Lamontay Daughtery was the second leading scorer with 8 points. Entering the 3rd quarter and throughout the fourth quarter, Parkway West struggled to compile good shots. Meanwhile, for the Panthers, Daughtery, Waller, and Bradford were all getting into foul trouble, 2 for all entering the third. Daughtery being the worst case, as he fouled out of the game in the 4th with 14 points. He has a very good drive, he is the most energetic person defending for the Panthers and on the glass occasionally. Sorry that I didn't address this earlier Pistol, Waller was a force on the defensive glass, with 4 rebounds, and 4 points. Wow, I found an error with my data. So... The Panthers won 57-38. With a dominant performance by Davion Bradford, with 32 points. I'm not going to glorify him for getting that feat against a 2 win team. His slash line goes as follows; 4-6 from the FT line, shot 66% field goal, 5 or more rebounds, with 4 dunks. I'm impressed by Waller, even though he didn't get quality points, he stilled helped the team overall. If Bradford develops a bigger motor, he could be mid-high D1 prospect to solid D1 prospect with it. Mehlville lacks a solid Point Guard, for their squad. Lamontay is a player, I personally would like to see more often on the court, and not on the bench come the 3rd and 4th quarter. Overall, Mehlville was in the spread regarding the winning margin. 

Pistol likes this

I think that's Bradford's career night so far, so you saw a good one. Did you mean him or Branson with regard to the "motor" comment? Because Bradford is already a mid-high major prospect. Branson and Daughtery are the bigger question marks to me. I like that we've offered all three but I'd like to see more of Daughtery in general and I think Branson needs to really establish himself as a good enough outside shooter for me to be convinced that he's a player at this level. I'd be curious to get your thoughts on both of them as prospects.

Bradford is a prospect, but he doesn’t beat anyone down the court, and his motor is usually on idle. I have yet to see him get position on the block and call for an entry pass. He is not aggressive.

branson is not a solid guard at this point, and is 25 lbs overweight and berift of a solid handle at speed.

Daugherty is athletic and has a motor, but has no shot and for some reason cannot guard anyone  with lateral moves.

i wish any/all of them had the motor that King Waller has, all the time. If they did, they would be one of the best teams in the state.

2020 updates (full refresh in the Recruiting Lists thread):

-Cam'Ron Fletcher and Caleb Love will go head-to-head tomorrow night at CBC and a number of college coaches will be in attendance. Fletcher was named to the Montverde Invitational Tournament team as Kansas, Iowa State, and many more tracked him. Love took an unofficial visit to Louisville recently and UNC is now showing interest. He recapped those recruiting him hardest lately, and he mentioned us. Fletcher and Love are now 38th and 39th in the updated Rivals 150 rankings.

-Since we're already talking about the Mehlville kids today: Bradford's 32 points the other night were indeed a career high. Daughtery's scoring is up lately, but largely because Branson has missed the past 7 games with an injury. When he returns, they'll have a tough starting lineup now that King Waller is back.

-R.J. Davis received an offer from Iona, took in the St. John's-Georgetown game at MSG, and had Cincinnati (another recent offer) out to watch him.

-John Hugley visited Pitt last weekend and will visit Xavier this weekend. Ohio State was out to see him.

-Seryee Lewis visited Illinois this past weekend and says he'll be returning soon. Wisconsin has been heavily involved lately, too.

-D.J. Steward is now hearing from Duke, Michigan State, and Virginia. He says he wants to visit Louisville, Texas, and Virginia soon. Northwestern, DePaul, and Illinois are all in the mix, too.

-Keshawn Williams has missed 5+ games with injury and is likely going to miss a few more.

johnbj14 likes this

Last night's Vashon-CBC game spans all classes but 2020 is probably the most relevant. Vashon won, 79-69. McKinney was the game star, with 28 and 6. McCaskill had 14 and 6 and Fletcher had 13 and 7. Love had 22 and 5 for CBC, with Wallace adding 16 points, 9 rebounds, and 6 blocks, and Jackson finishing with 11 and 5. Fouls were apparently a huge problem for everyone.

I don't have numbers for others yet but will update when the box score is published. I think @wgstl was in the house, so if he or anyone else has any insights on the game, that'd be great.

Texas was also in the house.

28 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-is Duke recruiting Caleb Love? 

They are now. Chris Carrawell was there to watch both Love and Fletcher. Duke hasn't been involved with them up to this point, at least not publicly.

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

They are now. Chris Carrawell was there to watch both Love and Fletcher. Duke hasn't been involved with them up to this point, at least not publicly.

Must be nice to be able to step into a kid's recruitment after schools have made him a priority for years and instantly jump to the top of the list by just showing up once. Didn't Majerus have a line like it is like recruiting an alcoholic to a New Year's Eve party.

I am not sure what I think of McKinney as a college player, but that kid is a freak athlete.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Last night's Vashon-CBC game spans all classes but 2020 is probably the most relevant. Vashon won, 79-69. McKinney was the game star, with 28 and 6. McCaskill had 14 and 6 and Fletcher had 13 and 7. Love had 22 and 5 for CBC, with Wallace adding 16 points, 9 rebounds, and 6 blocks, and Jackson finishing with 11 and 5. Fouls were apparently a huge problem for everyone.

I don't have numbers for others yet but will update when the box score is published. I think @wgstl was in the house, so if he or anyone else has any insights on the game, that'd be great.

Texas was also in the house.

Love was rather unimpressive.  My buddies and I were shocked to see he scored that many, as we thought it was around a dozen tops(he missed a ton of high % shots).  Mckinney was the star, that was his best game Ive seen from him imo.  Fletcher is talented, could really step out and shoot it.  Surprised he wasnt more physical down low, sorta seems he like's to play the guard role more.  One guy who Im glad you pointed out, Kobe, seemed like he could be very good in a year or two.  Showed nice range.  Obliviously I would have liked to see more from him, but its hard when Mario, McCaskill , and Fletcher seem to have had the ball the whole time.

Also, was Akok injured? IIRC he never came in.

What was crazy to me was how many people were wearing mizzou stuff walking around.  Only saw two others besides my self wearing SLU gear, was hoping for more. 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

What was crazy to me was how many people were wearing mizzou stuff walking around.  Only saw two others besides my self wearing SLU gear, was hoping for more. 

There are a lot of hoosiers in St. Louis.

2 minutes ago, SShoe said:

There are a lot of hoosiers in St. Louis.

ha.  My guess is because mizzou fans get real excited to see Martin around, while we get the luxury knowing Fords always out and about watching games. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Carrawell has had an eye on Fletcher for awhile.  He offered Stockard and McKinney form Vashon while he was at Marquette so he's had the opportunity to see Cam as well.  I would imagine he knew of Caleb as well making his rounds locally.

Pistol likes this

38 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Love was rather unimpressive.  My buddies and I were shocked to see he scored that many, as we thought it was around a dozen tops(he missed a ton of high % shots).  Mckinney was the star, that was his best game Ive seen from him imo.  Fletcher is talented, could really step out and shoot it.  Surprised he wasnt more physical down low, sorta seems he like's to play the guard role more.  One guy who Im glad you pointed out, Kobe, seemed like he could be very good in a year or two.  Showed nice range.  Obliviously I would have liked to see more from him, but its hard when Mario, McCaskill , and Fletcher seem to have had the ball the whole time.

Also, was Akok injured? IIRC he never came in.

Did Larry Hughes Jr play much?  Looks like senior posted a photo of him with the ball.  

20 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Really good guards like Love make scoring look easy.  Even when his jumper is off, he can break you down off the dribble and get to the line. 

McKinney excels in an up and down game, where he has more room to operate.  That gets his juices his flowing and his jumper starts to fall.  The challenge for him is when the game slows down.  I think he would be a star playing for a fast-paced offense like LSU .  Not sure how good a fit he is at Mizzou. 

I think Kobe Clark will have a good senior year once Mario and McCaskill are gone.  He's mostly a stand-still shooter and secondary ball-handler this year.