Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/18/2018 at 2:53 PM, Pistol said:

Mehlville has not historically been good at basketball. But now they've got a core of Bradford, Branson, Daughtery, and King Waller (who Branson's family adopted when they were in 7th grade), and they're going to be one of the area's best teams this year. Branson started mid-season last year after transferring from Chaminade. He ran the point and Waller was his backcourt mate, and they had a solid season. Bradford and Daughtery take them to another level. Bios:

Davion Bradford - C, 6-11, 240 - St. Louis, MO (Mehlville) - Twitter: @iamdbradford

Offers: SLU, Illinois, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, K-State, Arizona State, Wichita State, Tulsa, Nevada, Wyoming, Prairie View A&M.

Interest: Georgetown, Creighton, UNC, Louisville, Miami, Georgia Tech, Iowa, Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Baylor, Mizzou, Georgia, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, SIUC, Indiana State, Illinois State, Louisiana Tech, Milwaukee, Detroit, Denver, SIUE.

Latest News: Bradford received a SLU offer along with Mehlville teammates Lamontay Daughtery and Dylan Branson. The trio will visit Iowa on 10/20, after Iowa came out to see them this month. Creighton, K-State, SIUC, Wichita State, Indiana State, Illinois State, Milwaukee, and Tulsa were also out to see them in open gym. (9/18/18)

Scouting Report: Bradford is a post player with great size, big hands, and a lot of physical strength. He's a solid low-post scorer with a good jump hook, and he finishes strong at the rim through contact, drawing a lot of fouls. He's an active rebounder and shot blocker. He runs the floor well and has soft touch around the basket. He's a very good passer from the post. Rankings: Rivals - 103, Prep Hoops - 29, 247sports Composite - 172, Future150 - 57.

-Bradford was originally at CBC, transferred out to Hillcrest in Arizona last season (where Demarius Jacobs was), and then moved back to the Tulsa area (where he has family) this summer. However, his mom died in a car accident in July and he decided to return to St. Louis. He was one of the top big man prospects in the nation as a freshman/rising sophomore but has been a little slower in his development than some other bigs, but he remains a legit prospect with a ton of high-level attention.

Dylan Branson - SG, 6-5, 200 - St. Louis, MO (Mehlville) - Twitter: @dbranson33

Offers: SLU.

Interest: Creighton, Iowa, K-State, Wichita State, Tulsa, Illinois State, SIUC, Indiana State, Milwaukee.

Latest News: Branson received a SLU offer along with Mehlville teammates Lamontay Daughtery and Davion Bradford. The trio will visit Iowa on 10/20, after Iowa came out to see them this month. Creighton, K-State, SIUC, Wichita State, Indiana State, Illinois State, Milwaukee, and Tulsa were also out to see them in open gym.(9/18/18)

Scouting Report: Branson is a big, tough combo guard with solid playmaking abilities. He ran point for Mehlville last season, using his size and strength to create matchup issues and his smarts to run the show. He has good court vision, passing ability, and communication skills. He has a solid jumper and can get to the basket with his big frame. He rebounds well for a guard and can play a few positions. He transferred from Chaminade to Mehlville after his freshman year and will now play alongside Lamontay Daughtery and Davion Bradford. Branson's family adopted another fellow teammate, King Waller, when they were in seventh grade.

-Branson is a really nice, versatile HS guard but might be a bit of a stretch at this point. He's always had a thick frame and a lot of strength but isn't as quick or athletic as he'd need to be in college. He's going to be interesting to track this season, playing on a loaded team.

Lamontay Daughtery - SF, 6-6, 190 - DuQuoin, IL (Mehlville, MO) - Twitter: @IAMONTAY2

Offers: SLU, SIUC.

Interest: Creighton, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Drake, Evansville, North Texas.

Latest News: Daughtery received a SLU offer along with Mehlville teammates Davion Bradford and Dylan Branson. The trio will visit Iowa on 10/20, after Iowa came out to see them this month. Creighton, K-State, SIUC, Wichita State, Indiana State, Illinois State, Milwaukee, and Tulsa were also out to see them in open gym.(9/18/18)

Scouting Report: Daughtery is a long, athletic wing forward with a broad skill set for his age. He runs the floor extremely well, can handle it a bit in the open floor, and finishes in transition. He can play a little post, he's good out of the pick and roll, especially in the high post, and he rebounds and blocks shots. His jumper is much improved and he has added to his lean frame. Rankings: Prep Hoops - 184, Future150 - 107.

-Daughtery hasn't been getting as much attention as he deserves, playing his first couple years in the wilderness of DuQuoin, Illinois. Now playing in St. Louis on a loaded team, he'll get a lot more eyes on him. Still a little raw, but very talented. He's got a really high ceiling.

-I went to see Mehlville play Hancock on Friday, these comments are based on one game, only viewing to date of these kids and I concentrated on Bradford

-Bradford - first thing I noticed was Bradford is a very big kid, program listed him as 7'0, he is not a bean pole by any stretch, he has filled out, he had what I will call 3 very weak fouls called on him by the same official the first of which was 48 seconds into the game (also early in the game the same ref called him for traveling which was iffy and 3 seconds and I can't say if this was a good call or not), he had 3 fouls in the first half and did not sit until he got the 3rd, I think he ended with 8 or 10 points all scored around the rim including a couple very nice dunks and one real nice move with his left hand to finish a break, he did not go after rebounds real hard but again he had the first foul early in the game so not sure if he was protecting himself, missed his only two free throws, Hancock had very little size but their smaller players made it known they were there as they were in contact on him a lot, he did not get fed in the post much as he was double teamed quite a bit, he moved pretty good for a high school 7 footer (or close) with some weight,  two things I really liked were when he got a rebound he controlled it and when he got the ball he did not bring it down to let the smaller players have a chance, I guess this was a rivalry game and he impressed by trying to calm his mates, overall a good showing but I would have liked to see him play without what I think was a target on him by one official, I get why we are recruiting him

-I can't give as much detail on Branson or Daughtery as was watching Bradford was my focus, I overheard someone sitting nearby say that Bradford lives with Branson so not sure if there is thought of a package deal with them or if what I heard is the case, Branson was the main cog of the team on that night and Daughtery would have had a highlight reel tomahawk except the ball went off the rim and in the air out of bounds over the bench, it flew a long way

-I saw one guy in an SIU shirt who appeared to try to be making himself seen so could have been an assistant coach, looked for our guys and could not find them, there were 4 or 5 St Mary's kids there but not sure if one was Yuri or not, also Mehville had addidas uniforms but i did not notice one kid wearing their shoes, all Nike shoes that I could distinguish

Littlebill and Pistol like this

Just now, Box and Won said:

Now that I know of its existence, I'd like to take in a game at the Hoosierdome.

Me too. I would also like to catch a game at Normandy, which Earl says is his favorite gym in the area. It looks pretty unique, as well.

As for the Mehlville kids, Mehlville is now 6-1 on the season with their only loss coming to Pleasant Grove (UT), which is undefeated and has guys going to Utah and BYU. The one going to BYU was MVP of the Washington ToC and the one going to Utah is 7-4, one of the tallest players in the country.

Daughtery has only played in the last 2 games; I'm still not sure if he sat out because of injuries or due to transferring. He's averaging 14.0 points so far.

Branson is actually their leading scorer, at 18.2 PPG. We discussed this around the time of his offer, whether he was a true prospect at this level, but he's a better shooter than I realized, currently hitting 40% of his 3-pointers (albeit only on 20 attempts).

Bradford is scoring 16.8 PPG, but I should add to this whole discussion that there are missing/incomplete/incorrect figures in Mehlville's stat page, which says he's 43-44 from the field in 6 games (stats are missing for one of their seven).

So draw from these numbers what you will, but eyewitness accounts like @Cowboy's above are more meaningful until and unless we can get more and better numbers together.

In the summer of 1969 or '70 my summer baseball coach just back from Viet Nam, got a job teaching and coaching at Hancock.  He had a key to the newly built dome, and I was invited to pick up games. The Dome, like most all gyms at that time was not air conditioned, but after playing you could go to the pool directly below the gym floor.

2 hours ago, zman said:

In the summer of 1969 or '70 my summer baseball coach just back from Viet Nam, got a job teaching and coaching at Hancock.  He had a key to the newly built dome, and I was invited to pick up games. The Dome, like most all gyms at that time was not air conditioned, but after playing you could go to the pool directly below the gym floor.

Wasn’t an assistant coach for grawer or spoon a former head coach for Hancock. 

On 9/18/2018 at 2:53 PM, Pistol said:

Mehlville has not historically been good at basketball. But now they've got a core of Bradford, Branson, Daughtery, and King Waller (who Branson's family adopted when they were in 7th grade), and they're going to be one of the area's best teams this year. Branson started mid-season last year after transferring from Chaminade. He ran the point and Waller was his backcourt mate, and they had a solid season. Bradford and Daughtery take them to another level. Bios:

Davion Bradford - C, 6-11, 240 - St. Louis, MO (Mehlville) - Twitter: @iamdbradford

Offers: SLU, Illinois, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, K-State, Arizona State, Wichita State, Tulsa, Nevada, Wyoming, Prairie View A&M.

Interest: Georgetown, Creighton, UNC, Louisville, Miami, Georgia Tech, Iowa, Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Baylor, Mizzou, Georgia, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, SIUC, Indiana State, Illinois State, Louisiana Tech, Milwaukee, Detroit, Denver, SIUE.

Latest News: Bradford received a SLU offer along with Mehlville teammates Lamontay Daughtery and Dylan Branson. The trio will visit Iowa on 10/20, after Iowa came out to see them this month. Creighton, K-State, SIUC, Wichita State, Indiana State, Illinois State, Milwaukee, and Tulsa were also out to see them in open gym. (9/18/18)

Scouting Report: Bradford is a post player with great size, big hands, and a lot of physical strength. He's a solid low-post scorer with a good jump hook, and he finishes strong at the rim through contact, drawing a lot of fouls. He's an active rebounder and shot blocker. He runs the floor well and has soft touch around the basket. He's a very good passer from the post. Rankings: Rivals - 103, Prep Hoops - 29, 247sports Composite - 172, Future150 - 57.

-Bradford was originally at CBC, transferred out to Hillcrest in Arizona last season (where Demarius Jacobs was), and then moved back to the Tulsa area (where he has family) this summer. However, his mom died in a car accident in July and he decided to return to St. Louis. He was one of the top big man prospects in the nation as a freshman/rising sophomore but has been a little slower in his development than some other bigs, but he remains a legit prospect with a ton of high-level attention.

Dylan Branson - SG, 6-5, 200 - St. Louis, MO (Mehlville) - Twitter: @dbranson33

Offers: SLU.

Interest: Creighton, Iowa, K-State, Wichita State, Tulsa, Illinois State, SIUC, Indiana State, Milwaukee.

Latest News: Branson received a SLU offer along with Mehlville teammates Lamontay Daughtery and Davion Bradford. The trio will visit Iowa on 10/20, after Iowa came out to see them this month. Creighton, K-State, SIUC, Wichita State, Indiana State, Illinois State, Milwaukee, and Tulsa were also out to see them in open gym.(9/18/18)

Scouting Report: Branson is a big, tough combo guard with solid playmaking abilities. He ran point for Mehlville last season, using his size and strength to create matchup issues and his smarts to run the show. He has good court vision, passing ability, and communication skills. He has a solid jumper and can get to the basket with his big frame. He rebounds well for a guard and can play a few positions. He transferred from Chaminade to Mehlville after his freshman year and will now play alongside Lamontay Daughtery and Davion Bradford. Branson's family adopted another fellow teammate, King Waller, when they were in seventh grade.

-Branson is a really nice, versatile HS guard but might be a bit of a stretch at this point. He's always had a thick frame and a lot of strength but isn't as quick or athletic as he'd need to be in college. He's going to be interesting to track this season, playing on a loaded team.

Lamontay Daughtery - SF, 6-6, 190 - DuQuoin, IL (Mehlville, MO) - Twitter: @IAMONTAY2

Offers: SLU, SIUC.

Interest: Creighton, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Drake, Evansville, North Texas.

Latest News: Daughtery received a SLU offer along with Mehlville teammates Davion Bradford and Dylan Branson. The trio will visit Iowa on 10/20, after Iowa came out to see them this month. Creighton, K-State, SIUC, Wichita State, Indiana State, Illinois State, Milwaukee, and Tulsa were also out to see them in open gym.(9/18/18)

Scouting Report: Daughtery is a long, athletic wing forward with a broad skill set for his age. He runs the floor extremely well, can handle it a bit in the open floor, and finishes in transition. He can play a little post, he's good out of the pick and roll, especially in the high post, and he rebounds and blocks shots. His jumper is much improved and he has added to his lean frame. Rankings: Prep Hoops - 184, Future150 - 107.

-Daughtery hasn't been getting as much attention as he deserves, playing his first couple years in the wilderness of DuQuoin, Illinois. Now playing in St. Louis on a loaded team, he'll get a lot more eyes on him. Still a little raw, but very talented. He's got a really high ceiling.

-I went to Pkwy North to see them and Mehlville, program listed PNorth with not much size and that was accurate so anticipated how they would defend Bradford and what Mehlville's counter would be, game was chippy almost from the start, don't know if there were bad feelings prior to this game but I think there are after it, a few technicals called and a couple more that should have been and not saying this is one missed but with about a minute left during a ft Bradford was right next to a Pkwy North player who was right next to his coach who was trying to give instruction and that got some folks interested

-Daughtery scored Mehlville's first 10 points, had two corner 3's that were pure, when he ran a break it didn't seem like he had good vision as he had two guys on him and had two open teammates, last game I saw he missed a tomahawk and in the first half he missed two more dunks and got called for a clear reach after the second miss and that was his 4th foul of the opening half,  Mehlville doesn;t go deep with size but for him to get 4 fouls in the first half had me wondering what was happening with their staff, so he sat until 4th qtr and it would be hard for me to imagine he didn't see all the chippy play happening, game was close and in crunch time he got a key rebound and was surrounded by 3 Pkwy North,tried to pass out it was deflected he got it back and was fouled and did nothing stupid with opponents all over him which was a big deal to me with all the crap taking place so that was good to see

-Bradford started the game not doing much, I wondered if he was sick, if the rebound did not come his way he just stood there, he did not touch the ball on the offensive end until over 4 minutes of the first quarter had elapsed, Pkwy North was zoning and clearly he was the focus as he was double teamed most of the time, he was used a little bit to break pressure and in the second quarter he picked up his play as was more aggressive going after rebounds, in the first half I think he was 1-5 from ft line so would fit right in, the rotation on his ft's is sideways but made both on one trip in 3rd qtr,  Mehlville didn't get him the ball enough, he got involved a couple of times with the chippy play being brought to him and he did a good job of not getting a T, he did bring the ball down on passes and rebounds a couple of times and got it stolen once doing this but mainly he keeps the ball up which is great,  again Pkwy North had no size to match him and for the first 3 quarters he wasn't getting enough touches, he missed a dunk that I thought was going to bring down the basket as it was shaking big time, in the 4th quarter when the game was still close he got several monster dunks as mehlville beat the press and he finished, he got the ball to the basket off a low pass and had several arms grabbing him and that was a good show of strength, after two games have not seem him shoot other than right around the basket and ft's but right around the basket he is very efficient but I have not seem him against another big to this point

-Branson, this game was close throughout, there were a bunch of turnovers and he would shake his head and gesture to his teammates, this is the second game where he acknowledged or clearly talked to the crowd and he did this a few times last night so not sure about his attitude, not bad handles, he will jaw at opponents too which last night only added to the chippy play, he missed several ft's down the stretch, in two games I don''t recall him being out of the game, he is their most reliable ball handler, not quick, can finish at the basket, has a good looking form on his shot, not a lot of elevation to it

-I didn't see any of our coaches or coaches from any other schools

The whole SLU staff was in the house for the CBC-Chaminade game. Caleb Love (CBC) and Luke Kasubke (Chaminade) are the two 2020 players with SLU offers.

From the P-D article today, first paragraph:

The college coaches paraded up to Justin Tatum one after the next. Shaka Smart from Texas and Travis Ford from St. Louis U. were in the building. University of Virginia assistant Orlando Vandross and Illinois assistant Jamall Walker were among those that said hello to CBC's coach, too.

Mizzou also had an assistant there, as did Louisville.

Love had 25 and Kasubke had 19 (5 3-pointers), although he only had 3 in the second half. Keyyaun Batchman continues to lead Chaminade in scoring and had 26 last night. Josh Wallace had 20 and 13 for CBC.

Xavier's Travis Steele was in the house as well.  Kasubke's jump shot was on full display last night, as he went 5 for 5 from the arc.  He also had a nice steal in CBC's backcourt punctuated by a tomahawk jam.  At the end of the day, I think Xavier will be SLU's primary competition for Kasubke. Xavier/SLU is the appropriate level for him given his above average athleticism and skillset.

TheDude, JMM28, Pistol and 4 others like this

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Xavier's Travis Steele was in the house as well.  Kasubke's jump shot was on full display last night, as he went 5 for 5 from the arc.  He also had a nice steal in CBC's backcourt punctuated by a tomahawk jam.  At the end of the day, I think Xavier will be SLU's primary competition for Kasubke. Xavier/SLU is the appropriate level for him given his above average athleticism and skillset.

good to see you 3 star!  you are greatly missed.

cgeldmacher likes this

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Guess who's back? Back again.

3_Star's back.

Tell a friend. 

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The whole SLU staff was in the house for the CBC-Chaminade game. Caleb Love (CBC) and Luke Kasubke (Chaminade) are the two 2020 players with SLU offers.

The college coaches paraded up to Justin Tatum one after the next. Shaka Smart from Texas and Travis Ford from St. Louis U. were in the building. University of Virginia assistant Orlando Vandross and Illinois assistant Jamall Walker were among those that said hello to CBC's coach, too.

Love had 25 and Kasubke had 19 (5 3-pointers), although he only had 3 in the second half. Keyyaun Batchman continues to lead Chaminade in scoring and had 26 last night. Josh Wallace had 20 and 13 for CBC.

I did not know that Tatum was still eligible to be recruited?

56 minutes ago, Pistol said:

-I only saw CFord and CTate so I missed the others, I hate seeing Jamal Walker at these local games but he always wears orange so is easy to spot, as mentioned there were a bunch of colleges represented, a bunch

-Kasubke has a very quick release and made shots (although he missed ft's so he would fit right in with us), he is not real thick but he can shoot the ball, Love impressed me in that he did not force it, he let the game come to him, most of his points were on drives to the basket and he has that ability to float

-was a very fun game and atmosphere, CBC's primary ballhandler (#1) was listed as a Frosh, he is short but my can he handle, both teams impressed with their passing, it would have been a closer game if CCP made ft's, it was like watching us wearing red uni's  

cbc roster says #1 indeed is a freshman, robert martin.   playing ahead of freshman larry hughes, jr.  young mr martin must be a nice prospect.