Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Are these 2020 guys coming in on official visits allowed by the new rule?

I think these are unofficial visits, although I have seen a few of our 2020 recruits take official visits already.

Quincy Ademokoya - SF, 6-7, 190 - Dacula, GA (Dacula) - Twitter: @2kQuincy

Offers: SLU, DePaul.

Interest: UMass, Xavier, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, UConn, Houston, UNLV, Charlotte, SIUC, Illinois State, Charleston, Tennessee Tech.

Latest News: Ademokoya received offers from SLU and DePaul. (9/27/18)

Scouting Report: Ademokoya is an athletic, versatile wing who presents mismatch problems with his length and skill set. He's an excellent shooter out to the perimeter, attacks off the dribble, and catches and finishes on the move. He passes well out of the post and moves rapidly in transition. He plays hard, attacks the offensive glass, and uses his length to defend. He has a very good feel for the game and is an active presence on both ends, highly skilled on and off the ball. Now in Dacula, Georgia, he is originally from Normal, Illinois, where he played his freshman season (Normal West).

-QA grew up in Normal and played at Normal West as a freshman, so he's tight with a lot of the Illinois kids (like Seryee Lewis, who will be at SLU tomorrow). He's in Georgia now and plays AAU ball with the Georgia Stars. Really nice looking player. Long, skilled, athletic. Won't be long before more of his interested schools start offering.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Quincy Ademokoya - SF, 6-7, 190 - Dacula, GA (Dacula) - Twitter: @2kQuincy

Offers: SLU, DePaul.

Interest: UMass, Xavier, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, UConn, Houston, UNLV, Charlotte, SIUC, Illinois State, Charleston, Tennessee Tech.

Latest News: Ademokoya received offers from SLU and DePaul. (9/27/18)

Scouting Report: Ademokoya is an athletic, versatile wing who presents mismatch problems with his length and skill set. He's an excellent shooter out to the perimeter, attacks off the dribble, and catches and finishes on the move. He passes well out of the post and moves rapidly in transition. He plays hard, attacks the offensive glass, and uses his length to defend. He has a very good feel for the game and is an active presence on both ends, highly skilled on and off the ball. Now in Dacula, Georgia, he is originally from Normal, Illinois, where he played his freshman season (Normal West).

-QA grew up in Normal and played at Normal West as a freshman, so he's tight with a lot of the Illinois kids (like Seryee Lewis, who will be at SLU tomorrow). He's in Georgia now and plays AAU ball with the Georgia Stars. Really nice looking player. Long, skilled, athletic. Won't be long before more of his interested schools start offering.

-Gus would hate this and say he is from Dracula - I would like this one.

46 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-Gus would hate this and say he is from Dracula - I would like this one.

It's a town between Atlanta and Athens, so naturally UGA and GT have been on him since he moved down there, and he's been to both campuses. The whole SEC is interested. He seems primed to make a big jump in status this HS season or next spring/summer.

When looking at available scholarships (sch) for the next two years, I think it makes sense to group them considering our needs going forward, especially since we now have 3 verbals for the 2019 class.  I am going with the assumption that given his age  EW will leave after this year or next w/o making use of a medical redshirt,-remember he spent one year at a prep school after high school and before coming to SLU.  I am also going with the assumption of no one leaving the team earlier than after their projected 4th year of eligibility, although I realize that that might not be the case.

2019 and 2020 available sch's:     6

JB, DJF, TI, DW, EW and vacant  (LS's spot)

2021 sch's:   2

HF and JG

2022 sch's:   5

CAG, FT, KCH, DJ and IG

Total of above----------------13

2019 and 2020 SCH's "filled":--------  3

TH, YC and GJ  which leaves 3 yet to be filled.

With LS gone next year along with DJF and possibly EW, I think it is almost imperative  that we fill a spot in the 2019 sch class with a Grad Tr. who can serve as the 3rd Big, along with HF and CAG.  Even if EW comes back for next year, I think a GT Big is an important need due to Welmer's injury history.  That would still leave 3 openings for the 2020 class.  My 'most wanted gets' with those 3 sch's would be Bradford to fill the need for a 4/5 type player every year or two.  Next would be Love and finally, the last sch would go to fill our greatest need at the point when 2020 sch's are being offered.  Maybe a 3/4 type like Kasubke.  My only problem with that threesome is that they are all local and as I wrote previously I think it is important to keep recruiting lines open to Chicago and the Northeast.

In any case, I think Ford and staff have earned our complete trust in continuing to infuse the program with outstanding talent

29 minutes ago, bauman said:

When looking at available scholarships (sch) for the next two years, I think it makes sense to group them considering our needs going forward, especially since we now have 3 verbals for the 2019 class.  I am going with the assumption that given his age  EW will leave after this year or next w/o making use of a medical redshirt,-remember he spent one year at a prep school after high school and before coming to SLU.  I am also going with the assumption of no one leaving the team earlier than after their projected 4th year of eligibility, although I realize that that might not be the case.

2019 and 2020 available sch's:     6

JB, DJF, TI, DW, EW and vacant  (LS's spot)

2021 sch's:   2

HF and JG

2022 sch's:   5

CAG, FT, KCH, DJ and IG

Total of above----------------13

2019 and 2020 SCH's "filled":--------  3

TH, YC and GJ  which leaves 3 yet to be filled.

With LS gone next year along with DJF and possibly EW, I think it is almost imperative  that we fill a spot in the 2019 sch class with a Grad Tr. who can serve as the 3rd Big, along with HF and CAG.  Even if EW comes back for next year, I think a GT Big is an important need due to Welmer's injury history.  That would still leave 3 openings for the 2020 class.  My 'most wanted gets' with those 3 sch's would be Bradford to fill the need for a 4/5 type player every year or two.  Next would be Love and finally, the last sch would go to fill our greatest need at the point when 2020 sch's are being offered.  Maybe a 3/4 type like Kasubke.  My only problem with that threesome is that they are all local and as I wrote previously I think it is important to keep recruiting lines open to Chicago and the Northeast.

In any case, I think Ford and staff have earned our complete trust in continuing to infuse the program with outstanding talent

Never count on players staying 4 years with this roster. Early exit pro is a possibility with some of our players 

Sat next to Kasubke at Billiken Madness and will be his teammate at Chaminade this year:

Matteus Case - SG, 6-5, 180 - Pickering, ON (Chaminade, MO) - Twitter: @MatteusCase

Offers: Drake, Florida Atlantic, Canisius.

Interest: SLU.

Latest News: Case attended Billiken Madness with CCP teammate Luke Kasubke. (10/1/18)

Scouting Report: Case is a smooth scoring guard with good length and the ability to fill it up on all three levels. He has a fluid stroke and good range and can shoot it off the catch or dribble. He has good handles and changes speeds well. He has a narrow frame right now but isn't afraid of contact. He's a smart, hard working player. He played his AAU ball for the past couple seasons with Northern Kings and played on Canada's U16 team in 2017.

On 9/20/2018 at 1:22 PM, wgstl said:

Its rare enough for mehlville to win a game

That is a somewhat relevant statement for Basketball and Football, last year. I think the team will notch a couple (over 15 wins total) more wins this year with the trifecta. I can't wait to go to the home games on the new court, the only thing I hate is the bleachers. https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/sportshub2-uploads-prod/files/sites/774/2018/09/17162600/Basketball-Boys1.pdf, The schedule for Mehlville, all 3 levels.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Locally, Illinois, Missouri and SLU have all made Love a major priority and are pushing hard to keep him near home.

"Mizzou always shows love because they are one of the closest and that's basically my hometown school, they are always pressing hard on me," said Love. "Illinois is the same way. It's not too far from home and I believe the Braggin' Rights and everything is a big piece of them trying so hard.

"Coach (Travis) Ford is making a hard impression. I'm the hometown kid so he's always recruiting me and always talking to me. It seems like he's at every game."

44 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Locally, Illinois, Missouri and SLU have all made Love a major priority and are pushing hard to keep him near home.

"Mizzou always shows love because they are one of the closest and that's basically my hometown school, they are always pressing hard on me," said Love. "Illinois is the same way. It's not too far from home and I believe the Braggin' Rights and everything is a big piece of them trying so hard.

"Coach (Travis) Ford is making a hard impression. I'm the hometown kid so he's always recruiting me and always talking to me. It seems like he's at every game."

-I don't see a date on the article but I am interpreting him saying CFord being at every game that this goes back to the summer so I am hoping the impression being made by SLU is growing, was he at Billiken Madness? would be a great get. 

-come on Caleb, Be a Billiken

32 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Ugh. From a kid who lives in St. Louis. This is what we need to change.

gotta think its changing.  At least feels that way, may take awhile though.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a 2020 recruiting refresh on the Recruting Lists page. Not a whole lot of SLU-related news but there are a lot of new offers out there for our recruits, some guys taking visits various places, and even one recruit (Seryee Lewis) retweeting the link to that page, which is...interesting. Lewis is also switching AAU programs from Young & Reckless to Mac Irvin Fire. SLU has recruited both heavily since Ford took over, but Mac Irvin Fire is a more established program and there's just more history and politics to navigate there. Hopefully it's neutral for us because we sure look like his leader at this point.

Probably the most notable offers are some new ones for the Mehlville Three, with Bradford picking up K-State and Daughtery and Branson getting one from Tulsa, which already offered Bradford. Caleb Love went out to Indiana, Cam'Ron Fletcher got an Ohio State offer and will head to Michigan State next month, and Luke Kasubke attended Musketeer Madness at Xavier.

• 4 weeks later...

After Mizzou gets demolished in SEC play this year and the new players get on campus this summer SLU has 2020 locked down. 

SLU would be dumb to not have a picture of Yuri, Hargrove, Goodwin, Thatch and Gordon on promo billboards around targets high schools. A local lineup like that have not happened in a long time if not ever. And Goodwin started it all taking a chance on Ford. 

7 hours ago, Compton said:

^Nothing connects with high school recruits these days quite like billboards. Great use of resources. 

I used to think the same thing, but there are studies out there showing they are very effective.  I am not in advertising, but from what I read they be the most cost effective way to build brand awareness. I know there are people in marketing/advertising on here that can probably  give a really good answer on how impactful they actually are.