Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

51 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

It really seems like everyone in the STL basketball scene really wants these Mehlville kids to stay home (including the kids themselves). Travis making STL kids a priority is really starting to pay off. A couple good years on the court and staying home to rep Team Blue is gonna be what all STL kids want to do, rather than heading down 70 to SPUMAC. 

Semi related note:  does anyone know Ford’s contract status?  And when can/should we offer him an extension?  I can’t imagine there’s anyone who’s less than thrilled with his performance so far. 

Nothing against the Mehlville 3, I think they would probably be great gets for Ford and staff, but it might come down to how many 2020 scholarships are available and who are SLU's priorities.  We are losing 4 players from this year's team and have already replaced 2 of those 4.  If we hold the remaining 2, or fill them with GTs then we will still have 2 of those 4 available for 2020s.

I am assuming that we will lose 2 rising JRs  (LS and EW) meaning that we would have 4 open spots for 2020 scholarships.  There are at least 7 players in that class that we are discussing as potential SLU gets and I think 2 locals (Love and Fletcher) would be the top priorities.  Maybe I'm living in a dream world, but if we got those two we would only have 2 slots to fill from the group of Lewis, Kasubke and the Mehlville 3.  If we were filling based on need, Bradford (or Lewis) would have to be someone we would like in order to keep the Big Man cycle going.  That leaves only one open slot .  If all of the above worked out - I know, not likely - even though I would like to get our foot in the door at Chaminade with Kasubke, I think we might need to fill with a non-STL area player.  I would hate to see us losing the inroads we have made on recruiting outside the immediate area.  We already have filled 2 spots next year from the 314/618 and if we fill the 2020 slots primarily from our region we might be setting ourselves up to breakdown outside the area pipelines to Chicago and the Northeast.

I also realize that my numbers include Welmer leaving after next year (who knows when his eligibility really runs out?) and also does NOT take any unknown current roster losses into effect. 

Finally, one somewhat unrelated item.  I have read a number of posts about our local connections to Bradford .  Isn't his closest connection to our program the fact that he and Jacobs played together in Arizona, or is that not correct?

Edited by bauman
correction

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

It doesn't seem to me that Missouri has been the destination of choice for top St. Louis recruits for quite some time.

Well that wasn’t really the point of the post, but you’re right. 

Still, before Ford, Mizzou was definitely held in higher regard (in terms of basketball) in the minds of local high school age males than SLU. I can’t prove it with data but it’s just true. It’s definitely changing now. 

almaman likes this

1 minute ago, Slowry said:

I remember watching White, Woods, and Carrawell play.  That was lots of fun to watch.

Seems like that group really began an era that had top local players on par with the best across the land and we consistently got none of the cream of that local crop. We have now gotten a top player locally 2 years in a row one better than the other (ranking wise). We need to be able to do that when there is that type talent but if we go local just for the sake of it and the top talent is lower quality then let's be prudent. Once we got to level where 3 and 4 star recruits were plausible will suck if we go back to relying on diamonds in the rough types.

In short Gilliams no, Gordons yes.

It was awhile back but Sumner had six high D1 players on the same team including two who came to SLU, Harry Rogers and James Brown.  It also had William Westfall who played for Memphis State and played against Bill Walton and UCLA in the NCAA Tournament, Marshall Rogers, who led the nation in scoring one year, Clarence Weaver who I believe played for Illinois State, and David Brent who played for Wake Forest. 

On 9/18/2018 at 3:14 PM, SShoe said:

3 fairly high-level D-1 recruits on the same public high-school team is kinda ridiculous.  

https://www.stltoday.com/suburban-journals/stars-land-three-on-all-snc-first-team-hoop-squad/article_8337a013-fdd6-5cdd-a36d-0ff28eba8d07.html

Femi John..

2 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

That's the comp I had in mind.  Having 3 guys on a private school (Chaminade, CBC, Ritter) or even a basketball-destination public school (Vashon) is more understandable, but it's incredibly rare for a school like Mehlville.

It is quite strange for a school like Mehlville to have 3 (and a 4th who is also really good in King Waller) players of this caliber. It is hard not to pull for Bradford.

Like you said it's not as uncommon for a school like Chaminade to have a group of elite players (had Tatum/Cook/Lewis/Hellems/Davis), but that is a different situation since they are not confined by boundaries.

55 minutes ago, SShoe said:

That's the comp I had in mind.  Having 3 guys on a private school (Chaminade, CBC, Ritter) or even a basketball-destination public school (Vashon) is more understandable, but it's incredibly rare for a school like Mehlville.

Its rare enough for mehlville to win a game

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

It is quite strange for a school like Mehlville to have 3 (and a 4th who is also really good in King Waller) players of this caliber. It is hard not to pull for Bradford.

Like you said it's not as uncommon for a school like Chaminade to have a group of elite players (had Tatum/Cook/Lewis/Hellems/Davis), but that is a different situation since they are not confined by boundaries.

Normally.  But in this situation I believe they all played together AAU (middle school years) and they're pretty close.  Branson has adopted King and is pretty involved with Bradford.

TheChosenOne likes this

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Anyone here know how to reach Ford? He needs to offer Zaire Wade ASAP. Only 1 offer so far which is stupid. Will blow up 

email him.  It's on the website.  

We need Gabrielle Union attending games.

I'd like that #203.  I assume that is Luke K. from Chaminade.

I Know I wrote a few posts back that we might need to pass on Kasubke just based on numbers of open spots, but after watching his shooting touch I changed my mind.

I am assuming 4 open 2020 scholarships (2, 2019s not filled or filled with GTs)  My dream 2020 recruiting class would be Love, Bradford, Fletcher and Kasubke, which would have the added benefit of filling needs by position.  If we lose someone from the current roster then fill it with an out-of-the-area recruit.  The strength of the STL 2020 class makes it critical that we have the kind of year that we are all hoping for so that Ford and staff can sell the locals on staying home and becoming part of something that is really special, i.e. a top 25 program.  "Why go to Iowa, Ohio St, Ill etc, etc when you can excel in front of local friends and family?" 

Can you imagine a 2020-21 team that has French, Goodwin, Gordon, Thatch, Jacobs, Hargrove, Love, Fletcher, Bradford and Kasubke plus a few others on the team?  BTW, looking at that group makes it clear to me that Bradford (or someone like him) is really important to make sure we have at least 3 Bigs on the team.

I know I'm starting to sound like our man from Harris-Stowe, V-Time.  The only difference is the locals I want are top flight D-1 talents as opposed to roster fillers.

Edited by bauman
addl info

Bradford is 172, Kasubke is 203. I think 179 is Keyyaun Batchman. I'm not sure who 26 is, but it's not Collins; this league is for 2019 and younger. A lot of guys aren't names we'd necessarily know at this point: https://www.stleagles.com/page/show/4471799-high-school-rosters

I think I saw Daughtery briefly in there. They seem to be mixing up the team rosters a bit, though, so without a roster with numbers, it's hard for me to be sure about who's who based on these quick cuts.