Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Zed Key - SF, 6-7, 200 - Glen Head, NY (Brentwood) - Twitter: @ZedBasketball14

Offers: SLU, UMass, Cincinnati, Iona, Stony Brook, Arkansas-Little Rock.

Interest: Villanova, St. John's, Iowa, West Virginia.

Latest News: Key picked up an offer from SLU. (5/2/18)

Scouting Report: Key is a great rebounder with good hands and a big frame. He can finish through contact and has soft touch around the basket, knowing how to use his body to create separation. He can shoot it out to mid-range. He has a high motor and outworks the defense to get easy buckets for himself. He can also block shots. Rankings: Prep Hoops - 78, Future150 - 98.

-He's running with the NY Jayhawks on the adidas Gauntlet AAU circuit. Seems like a pretty versatile, athletic kid but if he keeps growing he could be a true big man. He's been listed anywhere from 6-6 to 6-8 from what I could find, and his weight anywhere from 180 to 200. If he's at the high end of both of those, he could be more of a frontcourt player than a wing in college. Anyway, he looks like a nice player and we're working that NYC area hard.

-thanks Pistol, another high motor recruit,  my take on a SF is they would be shooting from beyond mid-range, am I thinking of this wrong?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-thanks Pistol, another high motor recruit,  my take on a SF is they would be shooting from beyond mid-range, am I thinking of this wrong?

Yeah, he's more of a PF at this point and maybe listed as a SF by some services because he could project like that at the next level. He has a mid-range game and can put it on the floor, but he's not stretching defenders out to the perimeter (yet). I might change him to just F because he could be either or both.

12 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Mizzou can't get them all, and it's not like The Kansas City Star doesn't have an incentive to spin Mizzou's recruiting in a favorable light, at the expense of other programs in the state.

What's irritating is how the St. Louis Post-Dispatch depicts Martin's "success" in recruiting with such fervor -- more creating news than reporting it -- while ignoring Ford and SLU, for the most part.

Schiffer wrote that article like a kid that just graduated from Mizzou and someone writing for a Rivals site.  Surprise, Schiffer graduated from Mizzou in May 2017 and was writing for PowerMizzou until a couple of months ago.  I mean that seriously reads like a Rivals/Scout article that is trying to keep the fan base excited and sell them the site.  

• 2 weeks later...

Jordan Nesbitt, Cam'Ron Fletcher, and Caleb Love have all been invited to the Nike Elite 100 on SLU's campus from June 7-10. I think they're the only locals invited. This is for 2020 and 2021 players only, primarily the 2020 class. It's an invitation-only event for individual players, not teams.

It's during a quiet period for recruiting, defined as:

During a quiet period, a college coach may only have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents on the college’s campus.  A coach may not watch student-athletes compete (unless a competition occurs on the college’s campus) or visit their high schools. Coaches may write or telephone college-bound student-athletes or their parents during this time.

This seems like quite a nice advantage for SLU, unless this event isn't considered a "competition".

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

Jordan Nesbitt, Cam'Ron Fletcher, and Caleb Love have all been invited to the Nike Elite 100 on SLU's campus from June 7-10. I think they're the only locals invited. This is for 2020 and 2021 players only, primarily the 2020 class. It's an invitation-only event for individual players, not teams.

During a quiet period, a college coach may only have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents on the college’s campus.  A coach may not watch student-athletes compete (unless a competition occurs on the college’s campus) or visit their high schools. Coaches may write or telephone college-bound student-athletes or their parents during this time.

This seems like quite a nice advantage for SLU, unless this event isn't considered a "competition".

I went for a few hours last year.  Saw some good games.  Watched Liddell, Okoro, McKinney play.  Scottie Pippen was there watching his son and Rasheed Wallace was also there.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2018 at 9:43 AM, Pistol said:

Looks like Kasubke will be here as well.  

On 6/7/2018 at 9:17 AM, Bills_06 said:

Looks like Kasubke will be here as well.  

Oh, cool. He must've been on the B-list. I wonder how many of the original invites don't accept, but it's good news for the guys they've got just outside their first 100.

Edit: So that makes it four local kids - Kasubke, Love, Nesbitt, and Fletcher - participating this weekend. Not bad. We haven't offered Nesbitt but we've got offers out to the other three.

This is also about the time last year when a flurry of new 2019 offers came through, so I would expect to see more of that.

We technically had already offered Springs and Kepnang before, so this was just a refresh. Also, I cursed myself:

On 6/7/2018 at 9:20 AM, Pistol said:

This is also about the time last year when a flurry of new 2019 offers came through, so I would expect to see more of that.

And now I have a bunch of recruiting bios to put together.

Here are the two new 2020 offers:

John Hugley IV - C, 6-8, 265 - Lyndhurst, OH (Charles F. Brush) - Twitter: @JH2THREE

Offers: SLU, Duquesne, Tulane, Pepperdine, Kent State, Buffalo, Bowling Green, Miami-Ohio, Akron, Cleveland State, Robert Morris.

Interest: Dayton, Xavier, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue, Iowa, Northwestern, Kansas, West Virginia, Cincinnati.

Latest News: Hugley received an offer from SLU. (6/11/18)

Scouting Report: Hugley is a big-bodied power forward with a solid all-around skill set. He scores with a variety of post moves and has touch out to mid-range. He understands positioning well and uses his big frame to grab rebounds at both ends, and block shots. He moves and runs the floor well for his size. He dropped over 40 lbs. between freshman and sophomore years, and continues to work on all facets of his game and conditioning. He is expected to grow a few more inches.

-Hugley is a load. He came into HS at 6-7 and weighing over 300 lbs. Now he's grown another inch or two and trimmed 40-50 lbs. while getting into much better shape. From what articles about him say, doctors expect him to grow a few more inches and end up around 6-11. At SLU this weekend, he was said to be one of the best offensive rebounders in the whole camp and showed a nice arsenal of post moves. Big and efficient.

Dominiq Penn - PG, 5-11, 160 - Dublin, OH (Coffman) - Twitter: @dompenn_

Offers: SLU, Duquesne, Ohio State, Kent State, Stony Brook.

Interest: Dayton, Xavier, Louisville, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, Northwestern, Nebraska, Rutgers, Kentucky, MTSU.

Latest News: Penn received an offer from SLU. (6/11/18)

Scouting Report: Penn is a talented, high-scoring PG with a wide ranging skill set. He can score on all three levels, handle the ball, pass, and defend the point. He's got great instincts and a high basketball IQ. Penn is the son of former Ohio State star Scoonie Penn, who is currently OSU's director of player development. Rankings: 247sports - 78.

-Seems like OSU is going to be a heavy favorite for Penn unless something changes dramatically in the next two years. His dad, Scoonie Penn, is their director of player development. He's a local kid who grew up there. Still, he's been on plenty of other visits already and at least publicly is saying he wants to keep his options open and find the right fit. But it's OSU vs. the field in this one.

I used to watch Scootie play for the Buckeyes a lot back in the late 90's. If the kid's as good as his dad, he's a hell of a get. I agree OSU probably is leading by around 10 furlongs. Surprised to see Scootie's still in Columbus, since he was an Obrien devotee who transferred from BC when Obrien took the OSU job. You'll recall Obrien left under a black cloud of passing $$ to a foreign player or two.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Mizzou can't get them all, and it's not like The Kansas City Star doesn't have an incentive to spin Mizzou's recruiting in a favorable light, at the expense of other programs in the state.

What's irritating is how the St. Louis Post-Dispatch depicts Martin's "success" in recruiting with such fervor -- more creating news than reporting it -- while ignoring Ford and SLU, for the most part.

KC is definitely pro Mizzery. I don't even remember them giving us any ink during the Majerus years. Probably did cover Sit 1. What a joke that Cuonzo is viewed as a good coach because he got them dancing without Porter One. He lost game one, which they failed to mention.

Symir Torrence - PG, 6-2, 186 - Syracuse, NY (Vermont Academy, VT) - Twitter: @EGB_ST4

Offers: SLU, VCU, UMass, George Washington, Providence, Cincinnati, Tulane.

Interest: Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, Ohio State, Indiana, K-State, West Virginia, Washington, Cal, UConn, Bucknell, Holy Cross.

Latest News: Torrence received an offer from SLU. (6/11/18)

Scouting Report: Torrence is a versatile playmaker who does a little bit of everything. He has a high motor, can shoot from the perimeter, passes extremely well, has outstanding court vision, rebounds his position well, and defends. Playing up a year in AAU for City Rocks, his A:TO ratio is 3:1 in EYBL play. Smart and mature beyond his years, he's a coachable PG with high-level leadership skills.

-Looks like another good offer to me. He plays alongside Tyler Bertram, another recent offer, at Vermont Academy. He plays up in AAU so he's with Isaiah Stewart and Joe Girard, both of whom have SLU offers but neither of which are considering SLU.

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Symir Torrence - PG, 6-2, 186 - Syracuse, NY (Vermont Academy, VT) - Twitter: @EGB_ST4

Offers: SLU, VCU, UMass, George Washington, Providence, Cincinnati, Tulane.

Interest: Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, Ohio State, Indiana, K-State, West Virginia, Washington, Cal, UConn, Bucknell, Holy Cross.

Latest News: Torrence received an offer from SLU. (6/11/18)

Scouting Report: Torrence is a versatile playmaker who does a little bit of everything. He has a high motor, can shoot from the perimeter, passes extremely well, has outstanding court vision, rebounds his position well, and defends. Playing up a year in AAU for City Rocks, his A:TO ratio is 3:1 in EYBL play. Smart and mature beyond his years, he's a coachable PG with high-level leadership skills.

-Looks like another good offer to me. He plays alongside Tyler Bertram, another recent offer, at Vermont Academy. He plays up in AAU so he's with Isaiah Stewart and Joe Girard, both of whom have SLU offers but neither of which are considering SLU.

-I like the name and the description of how he plays, sight unseen, let's get him

2 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I was at the Elite 100 on Sunday and was impressed with Kasubke's ability to guard at that level.  Shot it ok while I was there but wasn't exposed defensively like I sort of expected.  Caleb Love was very impressive. Played with poise and didn't over dribble.  Seems to have thinned out a bit. 

Not news necessarily, but a little more insight on Ford's offer to Dominiq Penn from the Columbus Dispatch:

He also landed a scholarship offer from Saint Louis, adding to a list that also includes Ohio State, Kent State, Duquesne and Stony Brook.

“It was out of the blue,” Penn said. “I had no idea I was going to get an offer or anything. It was at the end of the camp. I had to go to the dorm, pack up, take a shower and get ready to go. I get in the car and my teammates’ coach told me and my teammate that the head coach of Saint Louis (Travis Ford) wanted to talk to us.

“I assumed he was watching us when we were at the camp. He said he loved my game and felt like I’m one of the best guys in the country and he wanted to recruit me really hard and he offered me and he wants to get to know me more and talk to me. It really was great because I wasn’t expecting that all. I’m really blessed and happy about it.”