JT requests Release from NLI

On 4/6/2017 at 8:57 AM, WVBilliken said:

I know it happens all the time.  Paying Mr. Porter the highest assistant coach salary in the history of Mizzou basketball kind of smells given his credentials are hardly eye-popping.  But, he does have two very talented sons.

Perry Watson all over again. Watson made the Rose(s) bloom early in Ann Arbor.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my question about what Martin did with Porter - what do you do when the kid leaves for the NBA the year after? do keep Porter or how do you keep the other assistants happy once the kid leaves?  I know you want the kid but you better know how to handle the possible headache in the future.

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Here is my question about what Martin did with Porter - what do you do when the kid leaves for the NBA the year after? do keep Porter or how do you keep the other assistants happy once the kid leaves?  I know you want the kid but you better know how to handle the possible headache in the future.

Well, there is a second son Jontay, a 6'9" junior in HS and he is a 4 star.  So Mizzou has one for a year (or two) and several with the younger son.  So I think the 3 year contract is covered.

55 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Well, there is a second son Jontay, a 6'9" junior in HS and he is a 4 star.  So Mizzou has one for a year (or two) and several with the younger son.  So I think the 3 year contract is covered.

Jontay is a top 30 recruit.  And they have two young brothers after that.  

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Porter is a legitimate college coach and has been so for nearly a decade.

I was having one of those annoying evenings where nothing is going right, but this post made me laugh so now all is good. Thanks for the humor STL!

15 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Who am I insulting? In general you're stupid if you think mizzou getting Tilmon was clean and following the rules. Willie didn't say any of that 

It is not difficult to see why an East St. Louis kid would suddenly have increased interest in Mizzou without Cuonzo doing anything overly dirty. Illinois fired the coach he committed to and Mizzou hired a coach who has a great reputation in East St. Louis, so the situation is much different than it was when Tilmon signed with Illinois and even then it seemed apparent he was waivering.

13 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

It is not difficult to see why an East St. Louis kid would suddenly have increased interest in Mizzou without Cuonzo doing anything overly dirty. Illinois fired the coach he committed to and Mizzou hired a coach who has a great reputation in East St. Louis, so the situation is much different than it was when Tilmon signed with Illinois and even then it seemed apparent he was waivering.

While I do agree with what you are saying, the strange thing about the situation is Martin was hired and not much was heard from Tilmon.  After Underwood and Walker visited Tilmon, Derek Piper made it seem he talked to his mom and that Tilmon was staying, Frank tweeted he talked to people close to him and he plans on staying with Underwood and Tilmon was impressed with Underwood.  Then after Martin visited his sister at East St. Louis, a bit later he requests out of his NLI.  Now I don't know what overly dirty is but I would be surprised if there wasn't communication between the two while he was still signed.

On 4/6/2017 at 8:08 AM, CBFan said:

Thanks for checking in, I think JT could be a difference maker at SLU because of Elliot Welmer's injury.  Elliot is SLU's tallest player and showed he could changes shots with his blocking ability and I think JT could play that role.  Does Illinois have other bigs like JT?

For Missouri I still believe that coach Martin was the best coach at this time that they could find.  Rebuilding starts with players and coach Martin appears to have the ability to recruit good players.  I think similar to coach Ford coach Martin has Missouri fans excited about the program again.  Also similar to coach Ford is that coach Martin can recruit but suspect in game day coaching.  It is possible that coach Martin is getting wiser with age and learning and only time will tell.  After one season with coach Ford I saw improvement and those that said he could not coach were proven wrong this season. 

No,  we are very short on big men.  All we have is Finke and Black and they are both really stretch 4s but can play the post also.   Kipper Nichols played some 4 this year but he is really best at the 3 spot. So we are in dire need of big men at the moment.  Apparently we have reached out to Carlton Bragg and Underwood was in Kansas Saturday  to see 2017 F Francesco Badocci.  

I will add,  I am disappointed to be losing Pickett. Maybe even more than Tilmon.  I think he is going to be a great college player and think he is highly underrated.  SLU would be wise to try and get him if they have any ships available.  It wouldn't surprise me either to see him follow Groce to Akron

21 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

While I do agree with what you are saying, the strange thing about the situation is Martin was hired and not much was heard from Tilmon.  After Underwood and Walker visited Tilmon, Derek Piper made it seem he talked to his mom and that Tilmon was staying, Frank tweeted he talked to people close to him and he plans on staying with Underwood and Tilmon was impressed with Underwood.  Then after Martin visited his sister at East St. Louis, a bit later he requests out of his NLI.  Now I don't know what overly dirty is but I would be surprised if there wasn't communication between the two while he was still signed.

If you knew Tilmon it wouldn't seem strange at all.  If you remember he went quiet around the early singing period. He has a lot of people in his ear and i am sure having an East St Louis grad now coaching at Mizzou made them rethink things.  When you send your kid off to school you want to make sure they have his best interest in mind.  Tilmon has played AAU ball with Porter before as well.  Maybe the combination of things as well as the firing of Groce was all it took.  I guess we will soon find out

3 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Dead period is in a few days so dick move by Illinois 

Yea,  maybe.  Guess what though,  meeting with a new coach and publicly reaffirming your commitment,  then asking out of a LOI a couple days later could be considered a dick move as well.  Also,  going to visit your "sister" who happens to be a principal at a signed recruits (who you desperately want) school is a dick move as well

4 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

If you knew Tilmon it wouldn't seem strange at all.  If you remember he went quiet around the early singing period. He has a lot of people in his ear and i am sure having an East St Louis grad now coaching at Mizzou made them rethink things.  When you send your kid off to school you want to make sure they have his best interest in mind.  Tilmon has played AAU ball with Porter before as well.  Maybe the combination of things as well as the firing of Groce was all it took.  I guess we will soon find out

What I'm hearing is daddy all of a sudden wants him to go to Mizwho. Mom wants him to stay at UI. Also,  mom is/was part of the holdup with getting the release finished.  She supposedly didn't get papers signed right away.  I'm not sure the validity of that,  not sure what/why a parent would have to sign off on it.  Just rumors I have heard

9 hours ago, CGMAN618 said:

What I'm hearing is daddy all of a sudden wants him to go to Mizwho. Mom wants him to stay at UI. Also,  mom is/was part of the holdup with getting the release finished.  She supposedly didn't get papers signed right away.  I'm not sure the validity of that,  not sure what/why a parent would have to sign off on it.  Just rumors I have heard

He was probably under age.

9 hours ago, CGMAN618 said:

Let's just meet in the middle... get it done Travis.