JT requests Release from NLI

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Or the East Side Coach is showing support to Coach Martin who is from East St Louis.  

Which makes perfect sense, I think coach Martin will do well recruiting that area.

8 hours ago, CGMAN618 said:

Well,  this really doesn't surprise me at all.  With the way this whole recruitment has gone it's par for the course.  If you would have told me a month ago that we had the option to keep Groce,  Tilmon and the rest of the recruits,  or trade Groce and Tilmon for Underwood, Orlando Antigua and keep the remaining recruits plus keep Jamal Walker ...... I will take that deal every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Illinois is trying to build a program, Mizzery is trying to buy a top 10 team for a couple years.  What they have been doing stinks to high heaven and they seem pretty bold about it.  Won't be long before it catches up to them and eventually people will realize that Zo isn't a very good coach.  He has gotten his share of 5* talent before and turned that into a total of 2 NCAA appearances in 9 years with 1 S16 run. I don't mind Tilmon asking out of his LOI. He did commit to a different coach, and should be allowed to explore his options.  He is a really good player but he is not a program changer.  He's not leading anyone to a final 4 next year,  or the year after for that matter.  I hope he really means he is still considering IL, but will be fine if he goes elsewhere.  I said a while back in a different thread that I thought you guys would be better for him than SPUMAC. BTW, someone please tell me what SPUMAC stands for.  Lol,  I have been dying to know

Thanks for checking in, I think JT could be a difference maker at SLU because of Elliot Welmer's injury.  Elliot is SLU's tallest player and showed he could changes shots with his blocking ability and I think JT could play that role.  Does Illinois have other bigs like JT?

For Missouri I still believe that coach Martin was the best coach at this time that they could find.  Rebuilding starts with players and coach Martin appears to have the ability to recruit good players.  I think similar to coach Ford coach Martin has Missouri fans excited about the program again.  Also similar to coach Ford is that coach Martin can recruit but suspect in game day coaching.  It is possible that coach Martin is getting wiser with age and learning and only time will tell.  After one season with coach Ford I saw improvement and those that said he could not coach were proven wrong this season. 

A few things:

-Man, this thread is chippy.

-Remember when Tilmon was said to be walking back his commitment and possibly signing his LOI elsewhere before he ended up signing with Illinois? And how Illinois fans accused SLU of tampering and throwing $$$ at Tilmon when we were said to be in the mix? I'm seeing a few SLU fans accuse Mizzou of the same thing right now; leave that to the Illinois fans. We called them ridiculous for acting like that because it's true. Now we shouldn't do the same thing, no matter how much anyone dislikes Mizzou.

-I have no inside info, no idea what Tilmon nor the influential people in his life are thinking. My hunch is that Mizzou is the leader, but that SLU, Kansas, and UNC might be in the mix. I can't give an order or percentages because it would be even more speculation with minimal info. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm also not closing the door on SLU here, either.

-Roy Schmidt is hilarious. Wish his account were public. That dude's going to give himself a heart attack.

7 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Thanks for checking in, I think JT could be a difference maker at SLU because of Elliot Welmer's injury.  Elliot is SLU's tallest player and showed he could changes shots with his blocking ability and I think JT could play that role.  Does Illinois have other bigs like JT?

For Missouri I still believe that coach Martin was the best coach at this time that they could find.  Rebuilding starts with players and coach Martin appears to have the ability to recruit good players.  I think similar to coach Ford coach Martin has Missouri fans excited about the program again.  Also similar to coach Ford is that coach Martin can recruit but suspect in game day coaching.  It is possible that coach Martin is getting wiser with age and learning and only time will tell.  After one season with coach Ford I saw improvement and those that said he could not coach were proven wrong this season. 

We have no idea if Martin can recruit or not - he has had some success at the his previous stops but never really brought the bacon home so to speak.  His landing of Porter was not evidence of his recruiting ability.  Give him time to show if he is really good or just a flash in the pan.

Cuonzo has now landed top 30 recruits at Tennessee, California and Missouri.  After awhile, this stops being an accident.  Part of being great recruiter is recognizing when opportunity exists.  You don't think Coach Ford was aware that the St. Louis area was loaded with talent and coaches at nearby P5 schools were on the hot seat?

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Cuonzo has now landed top 30 recruits at Tennessee, California and Missouri.  After awhile, this stops being an accident.  Part of being great recruiter is recognizing when opportunity exists.  You don't think Coach Ford was aware that the St. Louis area was loaded with talent and coaches at nearby P5 schools were on the hot seat?

I said he had some success - my point was that he has not showed it in a sustained way (record)

35 minutes ago, Pistol said:

A few things:

-Remember when Tilmon was said to be walking back his commitment and possibly signing his LOI elsewhere before he ended up signing with Illinois? And how Illinois fans accused SLU of tampering and throwing $$$ at Tilmon when we were said to be in the mix? I'm seeing a few SLU fans accuse Mizzou of the same thing right now; leave that to the Illinois fans. We called them ridiculous for acting like that because it's true. Now we shouldn't do the same thing, no matter how much anyone dislikes Mizzou.

-I have no inside info, no idea what Tilmon nor the influential people in his life are thinking. My hunch is that Mizzou is the leader, but that SLU, Kansas, and UNC might be in the mix. I can't give an order or percentages because it would be even more speculation with minimal info. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm also not closing the door on SLU here, either.

-Roy Schmidt is hilarious. Wish his account were public. That dude's going to give himself a heart attack.

Big difference... in the fall, Tillmon had not yet signed a LOI when those rumors of him wavering were swirling. Now recently with SPUMAC, Tillmon had already signed his LOI back in the fall and just two days ago pledged his support for sticking with the Illini. The sudden about face at least has the appearance of looking fishy.

I know it happens all the time.  Paying Mr. Porter the highest assistant coach salary in the history of Mizzou basketball kind of smells given his credentials are hardly eye-popping.  But, he does have two very talented sons.

The Power Mizzou guy was on with Bernie this morning. He said there is no connection between Martin visiting ESL High and then one day later Tilmon asks out, two days after he reaffirmed his commitment.  Right.  His excuse was that there is no prohibition of a coach recruiting at a school where another athlete has signed with another school.  Apparently Martin's sister works at ESL and he was simply visiting her.  Okay......

He also said he thinks Tilmon will end up at Mizzou, but that Kansas and SLU are other possibilities.

52 minutes ago, Pistol said:

A few things:

I think the thing with Missouri is that they have a history of getting busted for giving money and gifts to players and recruits.  Clemons flat out admitted he was paid to play at Mizzou.  Tuley was busted for giving players and recruits money and gifts.  They have had recruiting scandal in three straight decades.  Then you have the story that Tilmon has already set up a visit to Mizzou and one of his coaches saying he is becoming a Mizzou fan.  This is when Tilmon can't even make contact with anyone associated with Mizzou because he has signed a NLOI.

None of that means anything has happened that breaks the rules. Given Mizzou's history and the way this looks like it is going down, it isn't unfair to troll Mizzou fans about the possibility of something fishy going on.  If they don't like it they should make it through a decade without being proven to have paid players.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

This man is unstable.

The unfortunate thing is that he didn't always seem to be like this. He used to be a good source for Chicago related recruiting information. I legitimately think that Twitter either broke him or just served as a vehicle to show his issues more publicly.

Its not just basketball. When I used to follow him on Twitter, any unfavorable result for a Chicago sports team would be "shut it down" or "sky is falling" situation. I think he suggested that Jake Arrieta was a "barely average" pitcher when the Cubs were down 2-1 in the NLCS last year.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

The Power Mizzou guy was on with Bernie this morning. He said there is no connection between Martin visiting ESL High and then one day later Tilmon asks out, two days after he reaffirmed his commitment.  Right.  His excuse was that there is no prohibition of a coach recruiting at a school where another athlete has signed with another school.  Apparently Martin's sister, or mother?, works at ESL and he was simply visiting her.  Okay......

He also said he thinks Tilmon will end up at Mizzou, but that Kansas and SLU are other possibilities.

Gabe is such a tool. More of a Mizzou fanboy than a journalist. As we saw with the Ford "rumors" Gabe will eagerly advance any pro-SPUMAC that is fed to him.

Isn't Cuonzo Martin fairly highly regarded in East St. Louis? Mizzou is in a much different position today than a month ago with Cuonzo Martin now leading the program (as opposed to Kim Anderson) and the top rated recruit on board. It is not overly surprising that those factors (along with the coach he committed to being fired at Illinois) would lead a kid like Tilmon to at least explore that possibility (and for those around him to get in his ear). I think it was fairly clear over the summer that Tilmon was not overly confident in his commitment to Illinois when he decided not to return to La Lumiere (didn't Illinois set that up?) and then again when there was drama with his NLI. Frank C. was consistently on the radio talking about what he was hearing regarding the possibility of Tilmon opening his recruitment back up and flipping to SLU. This has been an odd recruitment for sure, but I don't think it shows that SLU and now Mizzou are doing anything overly sketchy. The odd thing to me is that he essentially reaffirmed his commitment to Illinois just the other day and then this, so people are certainly in his ear.

Just now, RiseAndGrind said:

Am I crazy thinking that French and Tilmon probably will offer the same impact Freshman? Probably crazy, right?

I'll say it again but on a list of like 10 recruits, Goodwin and French were named for top basketball athletes who could play D1 football at the high level. Ford has picked top talent and top athleticism Re: Graves, Bess,  Adonys, Foreman

5 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Isn't Cuonzo Martin fairly highly regarded in East St. Louis? Mizzou is in a much different position today than a month ago with Cuonzo Martin now leading the program (as opposed to Kim Anderson) and the top rated recruit on board. It is not overly surprising that those factors (along with the coach he committed to being fired at Illinois) would lead a kid like Tilmon to at least explore that possibility (and for those around him to get in his ear). I think it was fairly clear over the summer that Tilmon was not overly confident in his commitment to Illinois when he decided not to return to La Lumiere (didn't Illinois set that up?) and then again when there was drama with his NLI. Frank C. was consistently on the radio talking about what he was hearing regarding the possibility of Tilmon opening his recruitment back up and flipping to SLU. This has been an odd recruitment for sure, but I don't think it shows that SLU and now Mizzou are doing anything overly sketchy. The odd thing to me is that he essentially reaffirmed his commitment to Illinois just the other day and then this, so people are certainly in his ear.

I think Tilmon might be a guy that everyone looks back on and says "Wow the red flags were all right there why didn't we notice it then" and busts. But thats just my opinion. And I would probably be really excited if he came to SLU. There are just a lot of weird things about him already. 

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Am I crazy thinking that French and Tilmon probably will offer the same impact Freshman? Probably crazy, right?

I don't know which will be a better player, per se, but I know which I'd rather have: French. He doesn't have near this drama circulating about him and is far more likely to be a 4 year player than Tilmon (grades, NBA aspirations, transfer/commitment drama, etc.). 

There's a giant loophole in the NCAA's dead period. You can't talk directly to a recruit. But talking to everybody around the recruit is perfectly legal. So I can walk into a kid's high school and talk to all of his mentors as long as I don't talk to the kid. A rule with absolutely no teeth.

11 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I think Tilmon might be a guy that everyone looks back on and says "Wow the red flags were all right there why didn't we notice it then" and busts. But thats just my opinion. And I would probably be really excited if he came to SLU. There are just a lot of weird things about him already. 

So many red flags on this one.