JT requests Release from NLI

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

I think there could possibly be more to it than that, but we will likely find out either way fairly soon. I guess the youth across the river seem to be spreading the rumors about Kansas being the favorite, but it isn't just Gabe hearing as much. The recruiting "experts" still seem to think it will be Mizzou, but that Kansas is at least a possibility since they felt like that was the case back when he signed with Illinois.

Not just Gabe, I'm sure other great sources like Chris Gervino and Dave Matter are also talking up the KU interest, so it must be legit.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

First, I obviously was not in the room when Coach Integrity had any conversations.  So I will admit all is circumstantial.  But where do you want to start, in Seattle or in ESL. 

Talked to Coach Porter to abandon Washington, before he took the Mizzou job.  Okay, nothing wrong with that, as long as he didn't mention bringing his sons who had signed a NLI.  Do you think Coach Integrity told Porter to leave his sons with Romar?  Didn't happen. No sons, no job.  Romar was being retained by Wash until this happened.  'Sorry Romar, gotta waste ya.  But it's okay Lo, I'm doing this with the highest integrity.'

Next 'visited his sister' at ESL High School.  If he wanted to skirt any issues, he would have visited his sister at her house.  VTIme said he was there to recruit Hargrove, (during a dead period).  Immediately after this visit, Tilmon requests his release, after affirming it two days earlier.  So the word wasn'l passed around that he wanted Tilmon to abandon ship?  He didn't get word to Tilmon a scholarship awaited him?  Again, visit your sis at home, and skirt all this.  And wait until after Tilmon requests his release to be seen at his HS.

Power Mizzou's Gabe D stated on the air that Coach Integrity's staff is reviewing the GPA's of scholarship athletes to determine which ones they can throw out, and still protect the team APR.  He said they want to insure they don't get into trouble and miss the NCAA in Porter's likely only year.  He stated they need to keep the athletes below 2.65 to insure they don't get burned.  So if you are smart, you may be targeted to have your schollie pulled.   Come on!  Frankly I can't believe Gaber told this to Frank C on the air. 

Yes, circumstantial (except for what Gabe D said).  But there is a stink surrounding Coach Integrity.  He may be a stand up guy.  He may have the good of the players first and foremost in his agenda.  The next time I speak to him will be the first time.  Is this an isolated case in the NCAA barnyard?  Heavens no. It probably happens often. Has Ford bent the rules?  I have no idea.  

It's just that some posters insist Martin has high integrity and I'm not seeing it that way.  He is in the gutter with the rest of them.

Thank you HoosierPal for the detailed explanation.

If Ford had a shot at landing Porter Sr. as an assistant, thereby assuring his boys would come to SLU, we would have been upset at him for not doing exactly what Martin did.  If Ford had sister that lived in East St. Louis, and visiting her during a dead period might help him land Tilmon, we would have been upset at him for not doing so.  Let's not be hypocritical.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

If Ford had a shot at landing Porter Sr. as an assistant, thereby assuring his boys would come to SLU, we would have been upset at him for not doing exactly what Martin did.  If Ford had sister that lived in East St. Louis, and visiting her during a dead period might help him land Tilmon, we would have been upset at him for not doing so.  Let's not be hypocritical.

I, for one, am not being hypocritical.  Had we landed Porter, sure we would be happy (unless it landed us on probation).  My point has been let's not paint Coach Martin as a man of high integrity, when he is no better or no worse than any other coach. 

12 minutes ago, Old guy said:

What evidence is there that Ford actually ran Zeke Moore off? I thought it made perfect sense for him to leave voluntarily in order to have better prospects elsewhere. I may be wrong.

Agreed and I doubt Cuonzo Martin ran off Frankie Hughes (who almost didn't return after semester break) and KJ Walton. With the proliferation of transfers we should assume 2 guys are going to transfer out every spring and that number is likely low if there is a coaching change.

3 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Just heard KU is visiting Tilmon on Friday...you knew the big boys would eventually get involved. I am a KU fan already but I will be the biggest mark if they steal Tilmon from UMC.

See it's great Billiken fans like this guy that make it so easy rooting for SLU.

55 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I, for one, am not being hypocritical.  Had we landed Porter, sure we would be happy (unless it landed us on probation).  My point has been let's not paint Coach Martin as a man of high integrity, when he is no better or no worse than any other coach. 

He is a man of high integrity. There's nothing wrong with telling a kid that theyre not going to play much after evaluating them. If you're on academic scholarship and get bad grades, they let you go.  They only had a few good players.

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

He is a man of high integrity. There's nothing wrong with telling a kid that theyre not going to play much after evaluating them. If you're on academic scholarship and get bad grades, they let you go.  They only had a few good players.

Well it appears you and I have different definitions of integrity. To me integrity is looking your neighbor in the eye, shaking his hand and saying "I got your back. You can trust me". Apparently your definition is "Hi neighbor, turn your back so I can put a knife in it".  

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

What you've been doing is impugning Cuonzo Martin's integrity.  I don't know the man personally, but I've read and heard he's a stand up guy, also a local guy who grew up in challenging circumstances and has beaten the odds to be very successful.  Maybe you have, maybe you haven't, but I've had occasion on business and on the way to business in Belleville, which I was at today and Monday, to be in East St. Louis and its not exactly an affluent area.  There are very good people in East St. Louis but also a lot of challenges.  What you are doing is really a knee jerk reaction to your apparent hatred of Mizzou (which is your right), but you are directing it towards a very accomplished and respected man who overcame very challenging circumstances.  He's well respected and he's earned it.  He was a success as a player in high school and college at a very high level.  I assume he was a good student or good enough. Purdue is not known as a pass through factory as far as I know.  He played for a great high school coach in Bennie Lewis and a great college coach in Gene Keady.  He is a success as a head coach at a high level.  He won a conference championship in the Missouri Valley and he's been to a Sweet 16.  He's also a humble man and appears to be a grounded man. He's a strong family man.  I understand him to be a Christian man.  You look very petty frankly by your constant insinuation that Coach Martin is anything but a man of integrity. You can hate Mizzou and not impugn a good man's integrity.  

7 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Paying 1.125 million dollars to a players father to acquire his son for 1 college basketball season is sleazy, regardless if it is legal or not. Cuonzo Martin's loyalty is only to the all mighty dollar. 

Stop following major college hoops. Ford is known as a "good recruiter," more so than coach, and he was in the Big 12.  You want to go there? We just had a coach who didn't/couldn't/wouldn't swim in those waters.  Maybe you did too.  Majerus could find players. And he could run them off. 

1 minute ago, MUTGR said:

Stop following major college hoops. Ford is known as a "good recruiter," more so than coach, and he was in the Big 12.  You want to go there? 

Pretty sensitive aren't you? I guess the truth hurts. Your argument that everyone else does it too is pretty pathetic. If you think bribing a parent with a million dollars is a good thing, then that speaks volumes about your character. 

36 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

I've read and heard he's a stand up guy...He's well respected and he's earned it.  I assume he was a good student or good enough. He's also a humble man and appears to be a grounded man. He's a strong family man.  I understand him to be a Christian man.  You look very petty frankly by your constant insinuation that Coach Martin is anything but a man of integrity. You can hate Mizzou and not impugn a good man's integrity.  

So, you really don't know, do you?  Like, we really don't know.  You can drink your Kool-Aid, but let us drink ours.  Look, we all suck to some extent.  Just because he is a college basketball coach doesn't mean he's automatically a master manipulator or lacks integrity, but it sure is a strong indicator.

4 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Pretty sensitive aren't you? I guess the truth hurts. Your argument that everyone else does it too is pretty pathetic. If you think bribing a parent with a million dollars is a good thing, then that speaks volumes about your character. 

I'm the opposite of sensitive. I just can't stand your hypocrisy.