JT requests Release from NLI

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

He was probably under age.

NCAA rules state that anyone under the age of 21 must have a custodial parent or legal guardian sign the NLI and I believe the same is true for the request for release from the NLI.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Four-star center Garrison Brooks told ESPN that Mississippi State has denied his release from LOI. "Coach Howland doesn't want me to leave."

Interesting...must be more to this than we know. Shady that the coach can leave whenever but block a player. 

Why should he be able to leave? What is the point of an NLI of a kid can just up and leave without a coaching change at any point?

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

Why should he be able to leave? What is the point of an NLI of a kid can just up and leave without a coaching change at any point?

His dad is an assistant coach there. This one just seems plain weird.

12 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

While I do agree with what you are saying, the strange thing about the situation is Martin was hired and not much was heard from Tilmon.  After Underwood and Walker visited Tilmon, Derek Piper made it seem he talked to his mom and that Tilmon was staying, Frank tweeted he talked to people close to him and he plans on staying with Underwood and Tilmon was impressed with Underwood.  Then after Martin visited his sister at East St. Louis, a bit later he requests out of his NLI.  Now I don't know what overly dirty is but I would be surprised if there wasn't communication between the two while he was still signed.

You hit a key word in your post.

1 hour ago, shempie said:

I wonder if fans at Missouri State, Tennessee, and Cal would agree with this. 

Left Missouri State for an SEC job, can't blame him. Left an SEC job that underpaid him at 600-800k and gained 36,000 signatures for his dismissal, understandable.  Leaving Cal to get closer to home, understandable. What am I missing?

8 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Left Missouri State for an SEC job, can't blame him. Left an SEC job that underpaid him at 600-800k and gained 36,000 signatures for his dismissal, understandable.  Leaving Cal to get closer to home, understandable. What am I missing?

You could probably just use survey monkey and see if those fans think he is a man of integrity.

16 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

He was making $1.35 million at Tennessee.  He was offered a $500,000 raise to $1.8 million when he left.

10 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

You could probably just use survey monkey and see if those fans think he is a man of integrity.

This is some thin gruel, man. He left the Valley for the SEC and a raise, left the SEC for another raise and may have stayed if not for the fans who petitioned to have Bruce Pearl return (and you question his integrity!), and then left Cal to come back close to home (and for another pay raise). I can't point to one move in his career that didn't make sense.

Sure, you'd like to see him stay in one place more than three seasons, but there's no way I would've stayed in either Springfield or Knoxville when better opportunities arose, and the early going at Mizzou is sure making it look like this was a smart move. I'm guessing this is the place he stays for a while, and I expect him to do a pretty good job there.

Also, the opinions of the fan bases of the programs he left are completely worthless. You'd trust the input of the most biased, bitter sampling possible? I sure wouldn't.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This is some thin gruel, man. He left the Valley for the SEC and a raise, left the SEC for another raise and may have stayed if not for the fans who petitioned to have Bruce Pearl return (and you question his integrity!), and then left Cal to come back close to home (and for another pay raise). I can't point to one move in his career that didn't make sense.

Sure, you'd like to see him stay in one place more than three seasons, but there's no way I would've stayed in either Springfield or Knoxville when better opportunities arose, and the early going at Mizzou is sure making it look like this was a smart move. I'm guessing this is the place he stays for a while, and I expect him to do a pretty good job there.

Also, the opinions of the fan bases of the programs he left are completely worthless. You'd trust the input of the most biased, bitter sampling possible? I sure wouldn't.

Was the Mizzou basketball job really better opportunity than Tennessee job?  Nobody playing college basketball today was even born the last time Mizzou won a conference title.

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm sure Lorenzo Romar would have a lot to say about Martin's integrity, once he gets the knife out of his back.

I think Romar's win/loss record is what killed him lol.  He had a lot of talent over the last few years.  1st rd picks the last three years with nothing to show for it.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Was the Mizzou basketball job really better opportunity than Tennessee job?  Nobody playing college basketball today was even born the last time Mizzou won a conference title.

No. He was ousted from Tennessee. 36, 000 students signed a petition asking for him to be fired. This was right before the team made a run in the tournament. After they made the Elite 8, students were bending over backwards to get him to stay.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Tennessee was a poisonous atmosphere. No way I would've stayed there if I were in his shoes. Cal came along with more money and a fan base that wasn't rallying for a past coach who'd been fired in disgrace multiple times in his career. That's a no-brainer, regardless of whether you think Tennessee is a stronger program than Cal or Mizzou.

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

With that logic why would Gordon and Goodwin choose SLU over better offers?? Sometimes being home is best.

Just now, 615Billiken said:

No. He was ousted from Tennessee. 36, 000 students signed a petition asking for him to be fired. This was right before the team made a run in the tournament. After they made the Elite 8, students were bending over backwards to get him to stay.

He wasn't ousted and it wasn't 36,000 students.  Hell, it wasn't even 36,000 people.  The school doesn't even have that many students.  It was an internet petition were people could register hundreds of times under aliases.  Also, he was offered a $500,000 raise to stay.  That isn't being ousted.