Scheduling for next year and beyond

bauman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Hey thanks pre.  Not necessary.  All I'm saying to you young-uns, if that's what you are, is the Mizzou/SLU schedule debate has existed for my 42 years with the program.  And it never gets answered correctly.

And roy has a point too.

If you're going to use the name of a  university of Oregon athlete at least make it a cheerleader next time 

IMG_5516.JPG

On 3/12/2017 at 11:53 PM, bauman said:

I was listening to Mike Claiborne on KMOX's Sunday Morning Sports show this morning and he was adamant about MO/ILL and SLU playing each other every year instead of some of the directional blood donors they all schedule now. That got me to thinking how to pull this off as a win/win/win for all concerned

If this is ever an idea whose time has come and which might be feasible due to new leadership and coaching at all three schools, NOW is the time!

I know it is always thrown up as a deterrent that MO and ILL don't want to give up their annual "Braggin Rights" game but how about this for a simple solution that allows all three to meet each other each year:

Year ONE:

1)  MO and ILL play their annual game in STL at Scottrade;

2)  SLU plays MO in Columbia;

3)  SLU plays ILL at Chaifetz

Year TWO:

1)  MO and ILL play their annual game in STL at Scottrade;

2)  SLU plays MO at Chaifetz;

3)  SLU plays ILL in Champaign

Continue Year 1 in all odd years and Year 2 in all even years.

This gives each team a new home game every other year with a Regional rival and,  allows the two state schools to continue their series.  I gotta believe that the home games every other year at each of the schools would fill up the arenas. Reasons why this might be able to be done now include the need for all involved to increase their attendance, the HCs are all new and not involved in any of the previous decisions to avoid scheduling each other and MO and ILL have new AD's w/o a predisposition to avoid SLU.  In fact, the new ILL AD just moved from STL if I remember correctly.

I have heard the leader of our Sports Commission talk on a number of occasions  about the Commission trying to assist in getting a SLU/MO annual game in STL and failing because MO felt one game in STL was enough.  Now, I would think MO would do anything to increase their exposure in STL, likewise with ILL.  It certainly couldn't do anything but help them in recruiting the area.

What's in it for the Sports Commission to get involved---good pub in the region and one additional high profile game in STL each year.. No downside that I can think of.  Am I missing something?

If not,let's get this done! 

Since schedules are no where near set for next year, this could begin in the 2017-18 season.

I think the only way this could even happen at first is if SLU agrees to have their games at Scottrade rather than the Fetz and do that for a few years to get its foot in the door and then demand true home games.

40 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'd rather renew the rivalry with Cincinnati.  We've been trying make recruiting inroads into Ohio.  And Cincinnati is actually good.

I'd be down for that. I could walk to a SLU game.

I'd also be down for Xavier. My in-laws have season tickets.

57 minutes ago, BillyKen said:

I think the only way this could even happen at first is if SLU agrees to have their games at Scottrade rather than the Fetz and do that for a few years to get its foot in the door and then demand true home games.

Like I alluded to earlier, get KU, Mizzou, Illinois and SLU in a regional mid-November field at the Dome. Not only could MU play UIUC and SLU, but they could renew their rivalry with Kansas. Could be a huge boost to the region and give the Dome a reason to exist.

1 hour ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Like I alluded to earlier, get KU, Mizzou, Illinois and SLU in a regional mid-November field at the Dome. Not only could MU play UIUC and SLU, but they could renew their rivalry with Kansas. Could be a huge boost to the region and give the Dome a reason to exist.

ku wont play mizzou. And I wouldn't be surprised if Self says no to playing Illinoi$. 

3 hours ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

OwNWl_s-200x150.gif

12 minutes ago, Soderball said:

none of the teams mentioned will ever play SLU, possible exception in Memphis.. that one is worth an effort from the athletic dept.

We played them every year for a long time. They're not untouchable like Louisville or even Marquette. Four hour drive down 55. I'm sure there's a good reason why it's been so long since they've been on the schedule, but it seems like a shame.

5 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

We played them every year for a long time. They're not untouchable like Louisville or even Marquette. Four hour drive down 55. I'm sure there's a good reason why it's been so long since they've been on the schedule, but it seems like a shame.

I think that Memphis presents a possibility of being willing to schedule a series, the other ones have too much institutional douchery to ever consider the benefits. The money, sensibility, etc. do not matter. The massive overinflated egos of the people running those programs do matter.

It is possible Memphis will not be down after getting beat in the tournament.

What about trying to schedule Ole Miss or Vanderbilt or Oklahoma or something? What about Mississippi State.. Texas A&M? Tech? Arkansas?

I'd like to see some "name-brand" opponents.. but with the financial issues for the school i expect more buy games vs MEAC teams

Slightly off topic, but why doesn't St. Louis host a non-conference tournament every year like other cities.  Kansas City has one every year.  I think the Sports Commission has dropped the ball on this one.  St. Louis is centrally located and would be a good destination for fans of teams in the Midwest.  If you got a Big 10 team, a Big 12 team, an SEC team, and maybe an A-10, AAC, or Mo Valley team every year, you could pack Scottrade and downtown for the event.

6 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I think that Memphis presents a possibility of being willing to schedule a series, the other ones have too much institutional douchery to ever consider the benefits. The money, sensibility, etc. do not matter. The massive overinflated egos of the people running those programs do matter.

It is possible Memphis will not be down after getting beat in the tournament.

What about trying to schedule Ole Miss or Vanderbilt or Oklahoma or something? What about Mississippi State.. Texas A&M? Tech? Arkansas?

I'd like to see some "name-brand" opponents.. but with the financial issues for the school i expect more buy games vs MEAC teams

We did have a home and home with Vandy a few years ago. Also Georgia, New Mexico and Washington in that same timeframe. Pretty sure Mississippi State was just for a Thanksgiving tournament.

10 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Slightly off topic, but why doesn't St. Louis host a non-conference tournament every year like other cities.  Kansas City has one every year.  I think the Sports Commission has dropped the ball on this one.  St. Louis is centrally located and would be a good destination for fans of teams in the Midwest.  If you got a Big 10 team, a Big 12 team, an SEC team, and maybe an A-10, AAC, or Mo Valley team every year, you could pack Scottrade and downtown for the event.

The Kansas City one does OK because they cycle through Kansas, K-state and mizzou as participants and are typically able to bring in one other top 25 draw. If it wasn't for the local schools attendance would be pretty mediocre.

So really you'd need mizzou, Illinois and SLU to commit to a rotating cycle. I'm sure SLU would be all-in but I doubt mizzou and Illinois would be. Attendance for a tournament in November with random power 6 teams would be weak without a local flavor.

I'd like to think the Sports commission has reached out but have no inside info.

37 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Schools like Southern Illinois, Memphis, and Indiana State are also an easy drive from St. Louis and have decent followings. You could fill out the field with schools like SEMO, SIUE, or Western Kentucky.

Great idea - all these schools will really rasis our SOS.  Besides Memphis all the others are nothing special - WK may be fine next year or the next.

24 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Great idea - all these schools will really rasis our SOS.  Besides Memphis all the others are nothing special - WK may be fine next year or the next.

I'm not saying schedule a whole bracket full of those teams. I'm saying sprinkle in a couple for the "local flavor" kshoe is talking about above. Obviously the idea would be to have big name/RPI teams to headline the tournament.