Scheduling for next year and beyond

bauman

I was listening to Mike Claiborne on KMOX's Sunday Morning Sports show this morning and he was adamant about MO/ILL and SLU playing each other every year instead of some of the directional blood donors they all schedule now. That got me to thinking how to pull this off as a win/win/win for all concerned

If this is ever an idea whose time has come and which might be feasible due to new leadership and coaching at all three schools, NOW is the time!

I know it is always thrown up as a deterrent that MO and ILL don't want to give up their annual "Braggin Rights" game but how about this for a simple solution that allows all three to meet each other each year:

Year ONE:

1)  MO and ILL play their annual game in STL at Scottrade;

2)  SLU plays MO in Columbia;

3)  SLU plays ILL at Chaifetz

Year TWO:

2)  SLU plays MO at Chaifetz;

3)  SLU plays ILL in Champaign

Continue Year 1 in all odd years and Year 2 in all even years.

This gives each team a new home game every other year with a Regional rival and,  allows the two state schools to continue their series.  I gotta believe that the home games every other year at each of the schools would fill up the arenas. Reasons why this might be able to be done now include the need for all involved to increase their attendance, the HCs are all new and not involved in any of the previous decisions to avoid scheduling each other and MO and ILL have new AD's w/o a predisposition to avoid SLU.  In fact, the new ILL AD just moved from STL if I remember correctly.

I have heard the leader of our Sports Commission talk on a number of occasions  about the Commission trying to assist in getting a SLU/MO annual game in STL and failing because MO felt one game in STL was enough.  Now, I would think MO would do anything to increase their exposure in STL, likewise with ILL.  It certainly couldn't do anything but help them in recruiting the area.

What's in it for the Sports Commission to get involved---good pub in the region and one additional high profile game in STL each year.. No downside that I can think of.  Am I missing something?

If not,let's get this done! 

Since schedules are no where near set for next year, this could begin in the 2017-18 season.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bauman your ideas are great make sense however those in charge of getting this done do not have the common sense to understand what you posted.

Claiborne really isn't that plugged in.  I did not hear his comments and probably won't ever since I find him to have little to contribute other than just same old lines.  Long ago I gave up on this game(s) because I do not think it actually is advantageous to us either.  Yes I understand that for the fans they may enjoy these games but for the past few years the Braggin Rights game has had trouble selling tickets.  So we play these schools at Chaifetz and it is not a financial windfall given the smaller venue.  The Sports Commission would be interested but they would want the games in a bigger venue which is not to our advantage since we really do not get any home court..  This schedule actually is very favorable to both MO and IL.  One gets to play twice in StL every year, improve their visibility here, and they still get to lord over us by simply throwing us a crumb.  Why would we want to help either team get out of their own way by helping them to have better access to StL.  No thanks - from my end I can live without it.

31 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

While the debate will never rest until the games are played, it won't happen. 

Never say never. Louisville and Kentucky never played each other until the press and fans kept on Kentucky. Can you imagine what that would rob college basketball of if they never gave in?

By the way, if you haven't watched The Rivalry: Red vs. Blue then do so. Its phenomenal and perfect for this time of year. 

2 hours ago, prebilliken said:

Never say never. Louisville and Kentucky never played each other until the press and fans kept on Kentucky. Can you imagine what that would rob college basketball of if they never gave in?

By the way, if you haven't watched The Rivalry: Red vs. Blue then do so. Its phenomenal and perfect for this time of year. 

Actually it is the Kentucky State legislature which require the two schools to play.

It had nothing to do with the media or fans.

Beating a dead horse here, but hopefully Ford has more connections which will allow us to schedule some quality programs going forward. And for the love of god schedule something near Chicago -- a NW home and home seems like a win-win for both schools. I'll go to Marquette if I have to, also 

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

While the debate will never rest until the games are played, it won't happen. 

Good Lord this guy is an idiot. 

Who do you think applied that pressure? Good God. Watch the movie idiot. 

13 hours ago, bauman said:

I was listening to Mike Claiborne on KMOX's Sunday Morning Sports show this morning and he was adamant about MO/ILL and SLU playing each other every year instead of some of the directional blood donors they all schedule now. That got me to thinking how to pull this off as a win/win/win for all concerned

If this is ever an idea whose time has come and which might be feasible due to new leadership and coaching at all three schools, NOW is the time!

I know it is always thrown up as a deterrent that MO and ILL don't want to give up their annual "Braggin Rights" game but how about this for a simple solution that allows all three to meet each other each year:

Year ONE:

2)  SLU plays MO in Columbia;

3)  SLU plays ILL at Chaifetz

Year TWO:

2)  SLU plays MO at Chaifetz;

3)  SLU plays ILL in Champaign

Continue Year 1 in all odd years and Year 2 in all even years.

This gives each team a new home game every other year with a Regional rival and,  allows the two state schools to continue their series.  I gotta believe that the home games every other year at each of the schools would fill up the arenas. Reasons why this might be able to be done now include the need for all involved to increase their attendance, the HCs are all new and not involved in any of the previous decisions to avoid scheduling each other and MO and ILL have new AD's w/o a predisposition to avoid SLU.  In fact, the new ILL AD just moved from STL if I remember correctly.

I have heard the leader of our Sports Commission talk on a number of occasions  about the Commission trying to assist in getting a SLU/MO annual game in STL and failing because MO felt one game in STL was enough.  Now, I would think MO would do anything to increase their exposure in STL, likewise with ILL.  It certainly couldn't do anything but help them in recruiting the area.

What's in it for the Sports Commission to get involved---good pub in the region and one additional high profile game in STL each year.. No downside that I can think of.  Am I missing something?

If not,let's get this done! 

Since schedules are no where near set for next year, this could begin in the 2017-18 season.

So, the Braggin Rights game really has nothing to do with your idea.  Basically, you're saying sign a home and home series with Mizzou and sign a home and home series with Illinois.  Sounds great, but if it were that easy, it would have happened long ago.

I don't disagree with your thought that MO & ILL should be wanting to increase their exposure in St. Louis.  However, I think that they think they accomplish that with the Braggin Rights game.

13 hours ago, bauman said:

Speaking of "next year and beyond", is there a list somewhere of who, not counting the A10, is actually scheduled so far?  Google has been no help; it keeps pointing me to 2016-2017.  (And, inexplicaby, to a lot of UMass links.)

Listening to the talking heads yesterday about mid-majors' inability to schedule "quality games" in order to get higher seeds has me wondering who we have lined up so far.

1 hour ago, prebilliken said:

Good Lord this guy is an idiot. 

Who do you think applied that pressure? Good God. Watch the movie idiot. 

If you are calling Taj an idiot you are wrong.

Taj is one of the best and most interesting posters on this site.

5 hours ago, prebilliken said:

thnx will watch.

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Beating a dead horse here, but hopefully Ford has more connections which will allow us to schedule some quality programs going forward. And for the love of god schedule something near Chicago -- a NW home and home seems like a win-win for both schools. I'll go to Marquette if I have to, also 

Agreed.  SLU needs to get a game in the Chicago market, as you note, even extended up (87 miles) to Marquette in Milwaukee. SLU and Loyola Chicago certainly should be playing.  If SLU has to stay in the A10 ad infinitum, I'd like to see Loyola Chicago in the A10 with us.

Don't pick sides, CB.  It can be all in fun.  Hard to read emotion into a two-dimensional object.

I know all about the University of Louisville and the University of Kentucky.  Here's the major difference where the reality breaks down with U of L and U of K in terms of us and Mizzou and/or us versus Illinois:  BOTH ARE PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS.  IN THE SAME STATE.  And yet legislation attempted in the Kentucky government held no bearing to legally enforce the legislation, but it did add to the public fervor of two such great state schools not playing each other for ages except when in the NCAA tournament.  It was thought UofK didn't want to give added prestige to UofL.  Whatever.  No wit happens annually.  And its great.

Would I love reciprocity here?  You better believe it.  I was at the Mizzou/SLU games in 1979-80 and 1980-81.  Those were ten year after the last in 1970-71.  Then we didn't play again until 1999-2000 in the first of three.  So ten years, then about 18 years, now another 15 years.  One might  have thought saner heads would have prevailed by then.  They haven't, and given this time span, they never will.  You can't fix stupid.

Agree in that it won't happen.  Majerus seemed to be the coach that pushed as hard for it as any and even complained on the radio about it.  Joe Strauss had written about it for the post dispatch why it doesn't make sense that they don't play.  I don't see any of the Mizzou grad columnists the post has now pushing for it and I don't see Ford being as outspoken as Majerus was about it.  I will be happy to see a Chicago team or Marquette would be great team to play against.  

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

If you are calling Taj an idiot you are wrong.

Taj is one of the best and most interesting posters on this site.

No no, not Taj. My remark to Taj in the different thread was sarcasm, and I am pretty sure he understood that given his response. 

I called troll pants Tilkowsky an idiot. Which I stand by. 

Just now, prebilliken said:

No no, not Taj. My remark to Taj in the different thread was sarcasm, and I am pretty sure he understood that given his response. 

I called troll pants Tilkowsky an idiot. Which I stand by. 

Whoops! I am now realizing I quoted the wrong message. 

Taj79- My sincerest apologies. That was an internet mistake. Please accept my condolences. 

Tilkowsky- You're an idiot. And a troll. 

why would we want to play mi$$ouri?  they are so far beneath us as a program.   we have nothing to gain. 

Hey thanks pre.  Not necessary.  All I'm saying to you young-uns, if that's what you are, is the Mizzou/SLU schedule debate has existed for my 42 years with the program.  And it never gets answered correctly.

And roy has a point too.

11 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Claiborne really isn't that plugged in.  I did not hear his comments and probably won't ever since I find him to have little to contribute other than just same old lines.  Long ago I gave up on this game(s) because I do not think it actually is advantageous to us either.  Yes I understand that for the fans they may enjoy these games but for the past few years the Braggin Rights game has had trouble selling tickets.  So we play these schools at Chaifetz and it is not a financial windfall given the smaller venue.  The Sports Commission would be interested but they would want the games in a bigger venue which is not to our advantage since we really do not get any home court..  This schedule actually is very favorable to both MO and IL.  One gets to play twice in StL every year, improve their visibility here, and they still get to lord over us by simply throwing us a crumb.  Why would we want to help either team get out of their own way by helping them to have better access to StL.  No thanks - from my end I can live without it.

Totally agree. If one of them wants to do a home and home so we get a shot at them at the Fetz, great, but I won't hold my breath. Otherwise, I'm long past over it. Just say no to the neutral site/rotation stuff.