Dayton, VCU and Wichita St. to AAC?

Just now, hsmith19 said:

Also, my larger point is that Catholic growth EVERYWHERE you find it in the U.S. is overwhelmingly fueled by immigration from Latin America. Not only in the South. So the percentage of white Catholics in the North vs. the South is immaterial. It's Hispanic people fueling the growth everywhere. But yes, while we're on the subject, expecting the "new" (read: Latino) Catholics to adhere to the same behavior patterns or be attracted to the same institutions as the "old" Catholics (read: white) is probably not a very good bet. Indeed, this has been a hot topic for years not only in Catholic religious circles but wherever urban planners gather.

LMU, Santa Clara and USF all have student populations that are under 50% white.  Even Loyola Chicago has doubled Hispanic enrollment over the last decade.  You can attract non whites to Jesuit institutions if you are willing to market to them. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Both.  Don't have the numbers in front of me right now, but USF was right around 20% Hispanic.  Loyola Chicago is 16% Hispanic.  SLU is 3.4% Hispanic.

a Jesuit institution is more than capable to appealing to people of every ethnic and religious background.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

LMU, Santa Clara and USF all have student populations that are under 50% white.  Even Loyola Chicago has doubled Hispanic enrollment over the last decade.  You can attract non whites to Jesuit institutions if you are willing to market to them. 

The growth of Hispanics among Catholic student bodies doesn't come close to matching their growth in terms of Catholics overall. Hispanic Catholics are much less likely to go to Catholic schools than white Hispanics, from preschool all the way on up. There are lots of reasons for that that have already produced a lot of handwringing (see this article for an example). They go a lot deeper than just marketing.

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yikes, 

What about Dayton taking Wichita State's place in the Valley?  If it happens, I called it first, here, right in the middle of the hispanic catholic thread. 

Never thought I would fully endorse and agree with one of HoosierClown's posts.

3 minutes ago, Soderball said:

a Jesuit institution is more than capable to appealing to people of every ethnic and religious background.

If you know how, I'm sure a lot of Priests would be all ears. Tons of people a lot smarter than me have been trying to figure out how to do this better.

18 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yikes, 

What about Dayton taking Wichita State's place in the Valley?  If it happens, I called it first, here, right in the middle of the hispanic catholic thread. 

There'll be another spot in the Valley open, since the resident insider has already called Illinois State to the A10.

10 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

If you know how, I'm sure a lot of Priests would be all ears. Tons of people a lot smarter than me have been trying to figure out how to do this better.

Get the tuition costs more under control.

Support political policy and university policy that keep down prices.

I would have loved to attend a jesuit university had i been able to afford it. Ive spent my entire life as a SLU basketball fan. I come from a protestant background.

The mission of Ignatius is a damn good one, and i'll remind you that the founder of the SoJ was spanish and spoke spanish.

Many of the populations you are mentioning have few options other than public universities due to the enormously rising costs of higher education.

I think first and foremost people make decisions based on finances than other reasons.

I believe the priests you mention are largely victims of the circumstances ive mentioned rather than of their own shortcomings. I also believe you are losing sight of the fact that Jesuit schools ARE already very successful as-is. SLU has a medical school and a law school. It's an enormously huge institution.. how much do you want?

43 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Except for major metro areas (Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston Dallas) where you have younger family types, most Southern Catholics are the following, older retirees from the North, Hispanics and retired military who stay close to the bases for the exchange & healthcare access. New Orleans/Mobile/Southern Louisiana areas are an exception with French influence dating back to the 18th century. When I was in the Biloxi area, south of I-10 was Catholic anything North of I-10 was Baptist. I must knew about 100 Thibodeaus.

Right...but my larger point, which I thought was apparent, was that the Valley cities aren't the ones with growing Catholic populations.

SLU has, and hopefully always will, have a solid pipeline from Texas, specifically Dallas. 

1 minute ago, Soderball said:

I believe the priests you mention are largely victims of the circumstances ive mentioned rather than of their own shortcomings. I also believe you are losing sight of the fact that Jesuit schools ARE already very successf as-is. SLU has a medical school and a law school. It's an enor.ously huge institution.. how much do you want?

I got two degrees at SLU when I could've (and maybe should've) gone to either cheaper public schools or other private schools with better rankings/reputations. I'm not saying SLU is unsuccessful overall, and I'm not sure how they could be more successful at improving the 3.5% number quoted above in terms of Hispanic students. That's my whole point. I think it's a pretty big challenge without a clear solution, but it'll be important over the next several decades, as all Catholic schools are forced to branch out of the traditional white Catholic demo.

The A-10 has been a temporary conference for us for too long.

Big East makes the most sense for us.

After that I'd consider starting a football program and joining the AAC. It would be interesting to see what the financial analysis would look like with the Rams being gone.  St. Louis is one big city / media market without a NFL or D1 football program. If Dayton can support a football team, I think we can. It would definitely take another Chaifetz sized donation for it to happen though.

2 minutes ago, bk18 said:

After that I'd consider starting a football program and joining the AAC. It would be interesting to see what the financial analysis would look like with the Rams being gone.  St. Louis is one big city / media market without a NFL or D1 football program. If Dayton can support a football team, I think we can. It would definitely take another Chaifetz sized donation for it to happen though.

Not this again

2 minutes ago, bk18 said:

Are you familiar with the university's current financial situation?

16 minutes ago, bk18 said:

After that I'd consider starting a football program and joining the AAC. It would be interesting to see what the financial analysis would look like with the Rams being gone.  

Here is the financial analysis for it. I went ahead and did it just now. 

business_decreasing_bankruptcy_bankrupt_

Not happening. Not feasible. Not anywhere close to ever remotely in the discussion of ever happening. 

8 hours ago, bk18 said:

This is Glorydays level

24 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

This is Glorydays level

I'm sure he would point us to some Dominican HS football players that he is personal friends with. 

We could use discarded SLUH jerseys and put a piece of tape over the H.  Then we could play on the polo field in Forest Park of Hermann Stadium was already booked for field hockey. 

4 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

This would be a strange pick up for the AAC.  In the next 5 years Iowa St, Kansas St, TCU and Baylor will become available to them.  If they want to add a school now UMass would be a perfect fit.

Why would a Big 12 school leave to go the American (old C-USA plus UConn)?  Isn't the Big 12 a bigger dog in football than the AAC?

38 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

What if the Big 12 doesn't exist?

I don't pay much attention to the Big 12 anymore, but I have a hard time conceiving of what would happen to disband the conference.  Are the Big 10, Pac 12, and SEC going to accept some of the schools, leaving the rest -- the ones you named -- scrounging, like for the American?

3 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I don't pay much attention to the Big 12 anymore, but I have a hard time conceiving of what would happen to disband the conference.  Are the Big 10, Pac 12, and SEC going to accept some of the schools, leaving the rest -- the ones you named -- scrounging, like for the American?

It all depends on what Texas wants.