Jalen Johnson

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:22 PM, HoosierPal said:

One obscure record, Roby is 19th on minutes played in one season with 1002.  35 minutes puts him in 15th ahead of Evans.  Two games of 35 minutes puts him between Mitchell and Jett.  [Bonner's 88-89 season of 1246 remains the standard bearer.  He averaged 38 mpg.]

Roby is also tied for 8th with V. Cobbin for Junior 3's made with 56.  He is also 10th in Junior Assists, 6 behind Jett.

Neither Reggie nor Mike will end up with any Senior Class Records. Reggie will leave his mark on the Career FG% list.  He likely will finish 5th all time.  Mike will be 20th on Games Played and 12th on 3's Attempted.

Roby is up to 1032 minutes now.

He's still tied for 8th with Cobbin with 56 3-pointers; last night was no help there.

He's now 1 behind Jett for junior assists, with 111. He bumped Cassity from the 10th spot a couple games ago. So he should claim 9th tonight.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The freshman class record contest continues:

3-point FG: Johnson is up to 33, going 1-1 last night. He needs 4 more in the A10 Tournament to catch Drejaj and Bartley, and 5 to bump them.

So if he Ties Drejaj or Bartley we will beat GW too

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Roby is up to 1032 minutes now.

He's still tied for 8th with Cobbin with 56 3-pointers; last night was no help there.

He's now 1 behind Jett for junior assists, with 111. He bumped Cassity from the 10th spot a couple games ago. So he should claim 9th tonight.

Who is #20 on your list of season minutes played?  I have 19 that have topped 1000 minutes, and would like to have a #20 no matter if he was over or under 1000.  17 to 19th are below, with Roby today at 16th.

McCall 13-14 1021
McCall 12-13 1017
Evans 13-14 1005

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Who is #20 on your list of season minutes played?  I have 19 that have topped 1000 minutes, and would like to have a #20 no matter if he was over or under 1000.  17 to 19th are below, with Roby today at 16th.

McCall 13-14 1021
McCall 12-13 1017
Evans 13-14 1005

I was just using the SLU record book, which goes 10 deep.

59 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I was just using the SLU record book, which goes 10 deep.

Thanks.  Unfortunately minutes played per season isn't in the Alumni section of the records. I have been tracking stats for my own enjoyment, since the Douglass/Gray days.  So there could be a player who should be on this list, but I doubt it.   I think Grawer's 85-86 team was the first to play 30 games, so the odds of 1000 minutes before then are very slim.      At 29 games, you have to average 34.5 minutes per game to hit 1000.  I have Liddell at 34.97 mpg in 08-09 for season 10th minutes, but no one behind him.  So yeah, there could be a 34.5 mpg player I'm missing, but I don't know who it would be.

MINUTES PLAYED  
1 Bonner 88-89 1246
2 Gray 88-89 1199
3 Liddell 06-07 1182
4 Douglass 86-87 1177
5 Cassity 09-10 1166
6 J. Luechtefeld 90-91 1155
7 Mitchell 09-10 1148
8 Fisher 03-04 1122
9 Liddell 08-09 1119
10 Bonner 89-90 1102
11 Lisch 06-07 1081
12 Jett 13-14 1073
13 Mitchell 11-12 1069
14 Meyer 06-07 1051
15 Evans 12-13 1036
16 Roby 16-17 1032
17 McCall 13-14 1021
18 McCall 12-13 1017
19 Evans 13-14 1005

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

The freshman class record contest continues:

3-point FG: Johnson is up to 33, going 1-1 last night. He needs 4 more in the A10 Tournament to catch Drejaj and Bartley, and 5 to bump them.

3-point percentage: Going 1/1 last night gave Johnson a nudge to .359, which would bump Mitchell from the 10th spot at .353. Another good percentage night could bump him further; two are tied at .361.

FT percentage: JJ hasn't been to the line since the VCU game, so he remains at .733 and in 10th place, poised to bump Pulley and his .730 mark from 10th. Zeke Moore still needs 7 more FTA to be eligible for the list.

Rebounds: Welmer is up to 150 and Johnson has 145. Reed is 10th with 146, so he's officially been bumped by Welmer. Welmer has a shot to pass Yarbrough (154) and even Winfield (156) tonight. If Johnson grabs two or more boards, he'll pass Reed but still be 11th all-time, so he'll either need to leap Welmer or Yarbrough to make it. How about another double-double?

Blocks: Welmer is up to 31 blocks, now tied with Darryl Anderson for 6th all-time. There's a three-way tie at the 32 mark, so if he gets 2 more blocks tonight, he could be third all time in freshman blocks after Robinson and Reed. Johnson is up to 16, which makes him tied in 11th with Brett Thompson. He needs 2 to tie Liddell at 18, and 3 to bump him.

Edit:

3-point percentage: Zeke Moore is now sitting in the 5-spot on this list after going 6-6 in the last 2 games (7-9 in the last 4). His percentage is .394, so Kwamain Mitchell is getting bumped from the freshman list. Going 1/1 last night gave Johnson a nudge to .359, which would bump Mitchell from the 10th spot at .353, anyway. But Johnson isn't going to make the top 10 without another good percentage night; Rasheed Malik and Jamall Walker are tied at .361 in the 9-10 spots.

So all three of our freshmen are going to make the class records lists, if everything holds.

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

Edit:

3-point percentage: Zeke Moore is now sitting in the 5-spot on this list after going 6-6 in the last 2 games (7-9 in the last 4). His percentage is .394, so Kwamain Mitchell is getting bumped from the freshman list. Going 1/1 last night gave Johnson a nudge to .359, which would bump Mitchell from the 10th spot at .353, anyway. But Johnson isn't going to make the top 10 without another good percentage night; Rasheed Malik and Jamall Walker are tied at .361 in the 9-10 spots.

So all three of our freshmen are going to make the class records lists, if everything holds.

Wasn't Rasheed Malik a juco transfer?  I don't think he should be on a list for freshman records.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Wasn't Rasheed Malik a juco transfer?  I don't think he should be on a list for freshman records.

No, it looks like he transferred from Tulsa. Regardless, he shouldn't be in the freshman class records. I'm not sure who to send corrections to; I've found a few others, though.

16 hours ago, Pistol said:

No, it looks like he transferred from Tulsa. Regardless, he shouldn't be in the freshman class records. I'm not sure who to send corrections to; I've found a few others, though.

What about the sports information director (SID)?  It seems like a good class project or an assignment for a work study — to go through and correct mistakes in the historical records.  What about Josh Fisher?  I believe he was initially officially classified as a sophomore his first year of playing for SLU after following Romar to SLU after signing a letter of intent to Pepperdine, but he later got a release to have his full eligibility restored and was listed as a junior two consecutive years.  His "sophomore" year should be considered for freshman class records, shouldn't they (I don't know if they are or aren't)?

16 hours ago, Pistol said:

Pistol, my two way communications on stats have been with Brian Kunderman.  You can get his email on the SLU website.  [Get him to put Dobbs on the mpg list.]

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

What about the sports information director (SID)?  It seems like a good class project or an assignment for a work study — to go through and correct mistakes in the historical records.  What about Josh Fisher?  I believe he was initially officially classified as a sophomore his first year of playing for SLU after following Romar to SLU after signing a letter of intent to Pepperdine, but he later got a release to have his full eligibility restored and was listed as a junior two consecutive years.  His "sophomore" year should be considered for freshman class records, shouldn't they (I don't know if they are or aren't)?

Thanks, QIJ1 and HoosierPal. I'll get in touch with the SID and/or Kunderman eventually. I've found like 5 errors in my limited scanning of records in the past month or so.

As for Fisher, as far as I can tell, his stats have been retroactively applied to the "correct" class based on eligibility. Because you're right, he was never a "freshman" at SLU, but the record book shows his 89 assists in 2000-2001 on the freshman class record lists. I spot checked a few other numbers for him, and they're in the right order.

20 hours ago, Pistol said:

Thanks, QIJ1 and HoosierPal. I'll get in touch with the SID and/or Kunderman eventually. I've found like 5 errors in my limited scanning of records in the past month or so.

Pistol, here is another question for Kunderman.  First, assume Bishop comes back and plays three more years.  He already has 9 games of stats for his soph year.  How would those be handled, assuming he plays three more years. You really can't add next season's totals to this season's totals, nor can you simply wipe them out, but you have to put them somewhere.  Would next year be his Junior stats, then the following his Senior stats, and then his fifth year ???

His career stats would be straightforward, just add them up, but curious on the nine games.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Pistol, here is another question for Kunderman.  First, assume Bishop comes back and plays three more years.  He already has 9 games of stats for his soph year.  How would those be handled, assuming he plays three more years. You really can't add next season's totals to this season's totals, nor can you simply wipe them out, but you have to put them somewhere.  Would next year be his Junior stats, then the following his Senior stats, and then his fifth year ???

His career stats would be straightforward, just add them up, but curious on the nine games.

I think this is a non-issue.  I doubt NCAA grants Bishop an extra year.

That being said, I think the easiest way to count it is as though he had 2 soph. years.  This years stats would be soph stats and next year's would also be soph. stats, but you don't add them together for class record purposes.

19 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think this is a non-issue.  I doubt NCAA grants Bishop an extra year.

Seems odd that it was determined he couldn't return from his injury, but has little chance for a medical redshirt. Was Bishop and the coaching staff rolling the dice on this?

2 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

For people looking for Stats, this web site I found has them back to 1981

Thanks SSG.  These yearly stats don't agree with the Billiken Records.  Example, 1988-1989, Bonner is showing 33.68 mpg.  On the Records, he is credited with 38.0 mpg for the same season.    1986-1987, Roder is showing 1209 minutes played, yet he isn't on the Single Season Record list at all, and would be second with those minutes. 

Something is amiss

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Thanks SSG.  These yearly stats don't agree with the Billiken Records.  Example, 1988-1989, Bonner is showing 33.68 mpg.  On the Records, he is credited with 38.0 mpg for the same season.    1986-1987, Roder is showing 1209 minutes played, yet he isn't on the Single Season Record list at all, and would be second with those minutes. 

Something is amiss

I could have typos somewhere.  I punched in those stats at least over 15 years ago when SLU mailed me photocopies of the season stats from past years.  Not sure if I still have those paper copies somewhere.

11 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

I could have typos somewhere.  I punched in those stats at least over 15 years ago when SLU mailed me photocopies of the season stats from past years.  Not sure if I still have those paper copies somewhere.

Ah, that explains it.  So it seems we should differ to the online Record Book. 

• 1 year later...

Was half-watching a piece on Tennessee and Rick Barnes in between the play-in games tonight, and I remembered that when we were recruiting Jalen, information was somewhat hard to come by because most internet searches directed me to stuff about a higher ranked player of the same name that was signed with Tennessee. I decided to see how our Jalen Johnson compares statistically to UT's Jalen Johnson as this point in their college careers.

In short, our JJ has the better stats by a longshot. UT's JJ took a redshirt year last year, and has struggled to get significant minutes. It looks like the UT JJ logged double figures in minutes once this season. Meanwhile, our JJ has gotten meaningful minutes in each of his 2 seasons at SLU.

Obviously the Tennessee JJ has had to compete for minutes on a team that is a 3 seed in the NCAAs and made it to the SEC championship game, so who knows what kind of playing time our JJ would get on that same team. We also don't know what kind of role the UT JJ would have gotten on SLU the last 2 seasons, though I have a hunch that he'd get more minutes at SLU than UT.

Finally, in Jalen Johnson news, there's a stud recruit named Jalen Johnson in the class of 2020 from Sun Prairie, WI. He's a top 10 sophomore at the moment.   

CBFan and Pistol like this