Jalen Johnson

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ACE said:

Two double-doubles this year and one rebound away from having a 3rd one. Not too shabby. His defense and rebounding have also come a long way from the beginning of the season. 

Love his ceiling. 

32 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Goodwin, Henriquez, Johnson, French, Foreman is my starting 5 for next year

That would mean our bench would be Graves, Bishop, Roby, Bess and Welmer... that is better than our current starting 5 that has won 5 conference games.

35 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Which ones?

For the Freshman class records:

He's not going to make the points list (321 is the last spot; he's at 220). His average is 7.6 and he needs 10.5+ to make that list, so that's not happening, either. He's also not a threat to make the FG% or assists lists.

At his current average (.372), he would take the 6th spot on the 3-point FG percentage list. Kwamain Mitchell is 10th with .353, so it's likely JJ will bump him regardless of which place he ends up with.

If he maintains his current FT%, he will bump Randy Pulley from the 10th spot (.733 vs. .730) - this one will be close. Make those free throws!

He needs 5 more 3-pointers to make the 3-point FG list. Anthony Drejaj and Marcus Bartley are tied in 10th with 37. Cody Ellis had 39 (after sitting out 9 games).

He needs 22 more rebounds to knock Willie Reed from 10th. This will be close and probably hinges on a first-round A10 tournament win.

He's at 4.3 RPG; Cody Ellis is 10th at a 4.9 rebounding average. Probably not going to happen.

He's got 14 blocks, and needs just 1 more to tie and 2 more to take 10th from Brian Smith (and tie Brett Thompson for 9th, actually). It'd be cool to jump both of them, though, so if he averages a block a game he'll do just that.

He's got 23 steals, and Mike McCall is currently 10th with 31. Probably not happening.

In summary: With three normal games, we should be seeing JJ on four of these lists (3FG%, FT%, 3FG, blocks). With four games (A10 Tournament win), he could/should also make the total rebounds list.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

For the Freshman class records:

He's not going to make the points list (321 is the last spot; he's at 220). His average is 7.6 and he needs 10.5+ to make that list, so that's not happening, either. He's also not a threat to make the FG% or assists lists.

At his current average (.372), he would take the 6th spot on the 3-point FG percentage list. Kwamain Mitchell is 10th with .353, so it's likely JJ will bump him regardless of which place he ends up with.

If he maintains his current FT%, he will bump Randy Pulley from the 10th spot (.733 vs. .730) - this one will be close. Make those free throws!

He needs 5 more 3-pointers to make the 3-point FG list. Anthony Drejaj and Marcus Bartley are tied in 10th with 37. Cody Ellis had 39 (after sitting out 9 games).

He needs 22 more rebounds to knock Willie Reed from 10th. This will be close and probably hinges on a first-round A10 tournament win.

He's at 4.3 RPG; Cody Ellis is 10th at a 4.9 rebounding average. Probably not going to happen.

He's got 14 blocks, and needs just 1 more to tie and 2 more to take 10th from Brian Smith (and tie Brett Thompson for 9th, actually). It'd be cool to jump both of them, though, so if he averages a block a game he'll do just that.

He's got 23 steals, and Mike McCall is currently 10th with 31. Probably not happening.

In summary: With three normal games, we should be seeing JJ on four of these lists (3FG%, FT%, 3FG, blocks). With four games (A10 Tournament win), he could/should also make the total rebounds list.

I track these too.  Welmer has already jumped into 7th on blocks, sandwiched between Anderson and Evans, so depending on how you want to count the three tied with 32 he needs 4 to tie Liddell for 10th.  Yeah, I know, semantics. 

He needs two more three's to tie Clags for 11th.  Let's all say this together, "Johnson is as good an outside shot as Claggett."

He is also behind Welmer for rebounds.  So he will have to jump Elliott (who has hit the wall) first in order to catch Reed or Anderson.

MBM's, all of the class and career records are easily accessible on the SLU Athletic Dept site.  It is fun to watch our guys move up and down the list.  If Moore gets 7 more FT attempts (you need 50 attempts to qualify for a record), he will likely break into the Top 5 Frog List and potentially push Jalen out of the Top 10. 

Pistol, these records used to be a mess.  I and another individual spent several years trading emails with SLU ADept to get these straightened out.  The class and career records didn't match with the alumni stats. I think they are pretty good now except they for some reason won't acknowledge Donnie Dobbs as averaing 32.6 mpg for his career which would be 5th.

Well deserved, but also impressive, as Mike Lewis went for 31 over the weekend for Duquesne.

I think that beginning next year, Jalen will either be a guy that is just too good to not start, or he will be a tremendous shot of energy to come off the bench for us. I could see Ford doing a shifting his starters at the 3 and 4 positions between Bess, Johnson, and French depending on match ups.

39 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I did not expect to see Randy Pulley's name on any list of freshman records.

That stunned me, as well. He was a good FT shooter; I never even considered the possibility that he'd been to the line enough to be eligible for the list. The other freshman that year, John Seyfert, was maybe the worst FT shooter I've seen in college. I can't remember when I last looked at class records but certainly don't remember seeing Randy listed.

39 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

He needs two more three's to tie Clags for 11th.  Let's all say this together, "Johnson is as good an outside shot as Claggett."

billiken blasphemy   grounds to lose your fan club membership card.

3 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Goodwin, Henriquez, Johnson, French, Foreman is my starting 5 for next year

My starting five, beginning of the year was posted about a month ago in another thread.  Think French may come off the bench in the beginning and Roby will be in instead.  My starting five at least for game one........Henriquez, Johnson, Foreman, Goodwin, Roby.  Love to see Bess first off the bench for a change of pace for Johnson.  But really, with the talent level next year guessing starting lineups is more of a guess than it has been for years.

38 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I track these too.  Welmer has already jumped into 7th on blocks, sandwiched between Anderson and Evans, so depending on how you want to count the three tied with 32 he needs 4 to tie Liddell for 10th.  Yeah, I know, semantics. 

He is also behind Welmer for rebounds.  So he will have to jump Elliott (who has hit the wall) first in order to catch Reed or Anderson.

MBM's, all of the class and career records are easily accessible on the SLU Athletic Dept site.  It is fun to watch our guys move up and down the list.  If Moore gets 7 more FT attempts (you need 50 attempts to qualify for a record), he will likely break into the Top 5 Frog List and potentially push Jalen out of the Top 10. 

Pistol, these records used to be a mess.  I and another individual spent several years trading emails with SLU ADept to get these straightened out.  The class and career records didn't match with the alumni stats. I think they are pretty good now except they for some reason won't acknowledge Donnie Dobbs as averaing 32.6 mpg for his career which would be 5th.

I didn't even consider Welmer - great point.

That'd be interesting if Zeke gets to the line enough to qualify for that stat.

Thanks for putting in the work to help get these updated. I love a well-kept archive. The only mistake I saw is that they have Smith and Thompson mixed up for 9th and 10th in the freshman blocks list.

Why won't they fix the Dobbs thing?

15 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I'm assuming you didn't see that player on St. Joe's shoot free throws the other day.

They're actually worse than us as a team - 65.2%. Woof.

Baumann or Lodge? Each player is under 40%, but it looks like Baumann is the one that went 0-3 and Lodge actually helped his average by going 1-2.

Seyfert was 3-12 on the season, for .250. I stand by my assertion; I'd estimate he shot closer to 40% in practice. To be fair, he must've put in the work during his sit-out season at Montana because he managed to shoot .615 for the rest of his career there.