Big East

kshoe

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This really depends on what programs would enhance the Beast profile in the Dance, i.e. What programs are likely to get in on a regular basis and thereby build up their coffers. Assuming the A10 will be the chicken that gets plucked the teams offering the best resumes are; VCU, Dayton,  and Davidson. We've been too up and down to be considered a consistent Dance program. This is where Dr C has to come in and make our case that SLU is committed to staying focused and providing the resources to being a regular participant. We're currently on that path with Ford, but our history says we'll lose him and then stumble around for 5 or so years. Be nice to extend Ford's deal to show our commitment to him. 

Adman likes this

1 hour ago, LindellWest said:

Not really a cultural fit, public u, and shifts the geographic center even further than SLU would have. 

I was responding to schools that have asked about the Big East about membership. I wasn’t talking about who the Big East is targeting.  I don’t think there should be any doubt that the Shockers made a pitch to the Big East before they joined the American.

54 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I was responding to schools that have asked about the Big East about membership. I wasn’t talking about who the Big East is targeting.  I don’t think there should be any doubt that the Shockers made a pitch to the Big East before they joined the American.

A Creighton-WSU reunion would have been huge, but the same state school issue that UConn has made this a quick ‘no’. 

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Oh. Then yes. 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

A Creighton-WSU reunion would have been huge, but the same state school issue that UConn has made this a quick ‘no’. 

I think WSU is quick no.  I think UConn is the Big East's preferred team.  I don't think the state funding matters when it comes to UConn.  The Big East will put up with the transparency that comes with that for UConn.  The donors at Georgetown, Villanova, St John's, Seton Hall and Providence want a home game against UConn every year because of the old Big East rivalry.  It would give the Big East five of the seven original Big East members and six of the 9 classic era Big East teams. 

Plus, Fox would prefer UConn. UConn is the flagship university for a state of 3.5 million people, has national cache in basketball and their alumni base is twice that of SLU's.

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think WSU is quick no.  I think UConn is the Big East's preferred team.  I don't think the state funding matters when it comes to UConn.  The Big East will put up with the transparency that comes with that for UConn.  The donors at Georgetown, Villanova, St John's, Seton Hall and Providence want a home game against UConn every year because of the old Big East rivalry.  It would give the Big East five of the seven original Big East members and six of the 9 classic era Big East teams. 

Plus, Fox would prefer UConn. UConn is the flagship university for a state of 3.5 million people, has national cache in basketball and their alumni base is twice that of SLU's.

I agree with all of this. Just not sure how it could work with football and where they could park that program.

3 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I agree with all of this. Just not sure how it could work with football and where they could park that program.

I think the college football playoff expansion talk has put an end to any interest that UConn may have had in leaving the AAC.  An AAC team in most years will be the group of five team that most often earns a bid.  Plus, it will open up an additional New Year's six spot that the AAC would likely fill more often than not.  Those additional revenues will make UConn football financially viable.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think the college football playoff expansion talk has put an end to any interest that UConn may have had in leaving the AAC.  An AAC team in most years will be the group of five team that most often earns a bid.  Plus, it will open up an additional New Year's six spot that the AAC would likely fill more often than not.  Those additional revenues will make UConn football financially viable.

In the podcast yesterday, Matt Norlander said that UConn won't get rid of football because it already makes money for the University so that should only increase the revenue from it.    

Beast would benefit a lot from bolstering its western rivalries. SLU-Creighton would be a great yearly matchup and there are plenty of former St. Louisans living in Omaha (and vice versa). Mix in Depaul, Xavier, and Marquette, and Chaifetz would be packing with casual sports fans looking to see better matchups than LaSalle or G Mason.

The program would receive significantly more attention and general support from local fans and media were we to jump to the Big East. Mizzou would become an afterthought in this city. 

Zink likes this

On 12/12/2018 at 4:08 PM, billiken_roy said:

i dont know the answer to the next 2 questions, how many years were they selected for the ncaa tourney in those 15 years and what was their overall record?   

my guess is the creighton resume overall is better.   

Creighton: 

Greg McDermott has made the NCAA 5 times in 8 seasons. His first 3 seasons were in MVC, the past 5 in Big East. Prior to that, Dana Altman made the NCAA’s 7 times in 16 years, all in MVC.  Success in tourney for both coaches has been first or second round (64 or 32). Neither has ever made a Sweet 16 at Creighton.  Prior to Altman, there were 3 bad years after Tony Barone left. From 1985-1991 Barone made two NCAA’s at Creighton.  

When Creighton joined the Big East, Tim Lannon SJ was their President. Lannon was previously President at St. Joe’s as well as a VP for University Advancement at Marquette. Lannon has/had strong networking skills, and popularity. His predecessor as Creighton President, John Shlegel SJ was a former Dean of Arts and Sciences at Marquette among other things. His replacement as Dean of Arts and Sciences at Marquette was John Johannes. Johannes left Marquette to be VP of Academics at, wait for it, Villanova University.  The point of this information and exercise as that many of these people know each other. And, all of the above mentioned for example, were/are popular, strong people skilled individuals.  

Creighton has had strong attendance and fan support. Their downtown arena opened in 2003. 

So, Creighton has had almost every other year make the NCAA type of success overall since the mid 90’s. It took Altman year 5 to make NCAA’s ar Creighton. So really it was 7 out of last 11 years for Altman and 2 of 3 years for McDermott in MVC prior to Big East. 

Timing matters, relationships matter, resources and money matter, facilities matter, winning consistently over time matters. 

Schasz and Spoon-Balls like this

5 hours ago, kshoe said:

I have heard from a UConn alum the school is thinking it was a big mistake trying to go big time in FB. Especially since they were so successful w/ their two headed monster BB programs. They could probably scale back and get in the league w/ schools like Maine, RI, NH, etc and would be welcomed w/ open arms. This alum told me UConn was totally bummed they were passed over by the ACC and now think it may be time to get back to their roots. Wouldn't surprise me if they've approached the Beast. 

3 hours ago, LindellWest said:

For those of us who can’t get enough of running in circles and love any positive BE news no matter how speculative....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vuhoops.com/platform/amp/2018/12/19/18148005/villanova-basketball-arizin-news-big-east-antoine-robinson-earl-jekot-uconn

Thanks for sharing I like drinking the big east koolaide and hope to play Butler DePaul, and Xavier twice a year.

• 6 months later...