Big East

kshoe

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Courtside, you obviously know a lot of detail about this issue. For me, and trying to translate the various issues mentioned by you into dollars and cents, I still do not see justification for the cash flow necessary to accomplish what they are trying to do. True, their wome's BB team may be upset with AAC, and there are issues that are going against the grain between AAC and UConn regaridng streaming, football, etc... As far as the Big East TV contract goes, there is absolutely nothing that would indicate UConn would receive a portion of the fees equal to the older members' portions. This deal makes no sense to me.

SportsNet New York. (SNY) is a big factor here.

UConn currently receives over 300 hours of programming a year with SNY. SNY is HUGE in the New York, New Jersey, Connecticut Tri-State. 12 million plus homes and streaming not counting all the bars and restaurants etc...that have it. 

The new AAC deal would pay UConn $7 million per year but no SNY. The new deal is ESPN and ESPN+ only.  UConn currently receives 7 figure money from the $10 million plus it generates for SNY annually. They want the linear exposure of SNY too. 

UConn is turning down $7 million annually to have both the Big East deal/money and SNY money and exposure. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Even AAC FB is an expensive proposition. But they say they are going to remain at that level, but as an independent. They ain't ND and can't imagine what national network would shell out dollar one for their broadcast rights. So that means they lose the $7 mil from AAC for FB. It would be nice to see their financial analysis for this move. 

UConn wants to be in a league for football, not an independent. When UConn unsuccessfully tried to join the Big 12 in football, it applied as football only. It wanted all other sports in Big East.

• 2 months later...

It’s always good for SLU and A-10 perspective to see what other leagues are doing and how they are doing it.

The Big East released its conference schedules today.

17 games on over the air Fox Network

5 other games on over the air broadcasts, CBS. 

There will be more than 100 games on Fox Sports 1.

All 90 regular season games will be televised.

CBS Sports Network will also televise select games. 13 league games, 16 overall.

All 10 teams played some form of postseason last season. 

38th consecutive year conference tourney at Madison Square Garden.

FS1 will carry all four home games on the annual series vs Big Ten. Big Ten Network and FS1 will carry the road games.

Fox Sports will broadcast all 5 Big East home games in the challenge vs Big 12. 

Big East Title game on over air Fox 6th straight year. FS1 carries rest of tourney.

Few remaining games not above will be carried by Fox Sports 2 or Fox Sports Regional (i.e. Midwest in Stl market) 

Games will be streamed on Fox Sports app and Fox Sports Go.

Big East Digital Network will carry 225 live streamed events including all women’s games not carried by Fox Sports or CBS Sports Network.

TaLBErt likes this

Who is the worst team in the Big East?  It might be open for debate but I vote DePaul.  What's the size of their TV market (Chicago)?  What does that alone mean for ad dollars and revenue?  Villanova is an A+ team.  Ditto Marquette, Xavier, and maybe Creighton.  Georgetown and Seton Hall are potential A teams.  Providence and Butler are B+.  I'd give St.John's a B and Uconn is a B as well.  

Over in the A10, VCU is a B+ with Dayton and Davidson as B.  SLU and Rhode Island might be C+ but the rest ...... 9 teams.... are all C or lower.  There it is in a nutshell.  TV is going to air competitively good games.  The A10 has few marquee matchups.  The Big East could have five a night.