Big East

kshoe

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I have also been told that Coach Ford was extended and makes a very nice salary (more than has been publicly estimated)

If he is why isn't it made public? I don't care that SLU is private and doesn't have to disclose financials. Perception is we don't pay coaches, put the terms of an extension out there to change that perception.

CBFan likes this

5 minutes ago, thetorch said:

If he is why isn't it made public? I don't care that SLU is private and doesn't have to disclose financials. Perception is we don't pay coaches, put the terms of an extension out there to change that perception.

Maybe Ford wants it kept quiet.  The problem is when the school uses the "private" reason they then have to be consistent or else it looks like they are hiding when they don't go public.  

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Maybe Ford wants it kept quiet.  The problem is when the school uses the "private" reason they then have to be consistent or else it looks like they are hiding when they don't go public.  

You fix that problem by not officially going on the record when you tell the information to Stu Durando.  Then you get yourself some media coverage in the summer with  report that read “sources say the deal is for x years”. Plus, it reassures recruiting targets that the coach isn’t going anywhere.

TheChosenOne, CBFan and JMM28 like this

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

You fix that problem by not officially going on the record when you tell the information to Stu Durando.  Then you get yourself some media coverage in the summer with  report that read “sources say the deal is for x years”. Plus, it reassures recruiting targets that the coach isn’t going anywhere.

Good point but I would think recruiting targets know Ford's status.  Do you think Stu even thought to ask?

16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Right. Why wouldn't you want something like a contract extension to be known? Maybe fans don't need to know all of the specifics of the contract, but I don't see an argument for keeping it entirely quiet. Was his initial deal for 5 years?

I assure you that I do not have the faintest idea whethr or not the contract has actually been extended. If it has been extended and not made public I have to assume there is a reason (s) it was not made public. My sole point is that we do not have to know what is going on as long as Ford is happy and stays at SLU.

Cincybill likes this

Thanks to all that have posted that coach Ford has been taken care of.

If coach Ford gets this team dancing there will be more interest from other schools looking for a young energetic coach.

SLU should tell the world that they are serious about a successful basketball program by announcing a contract extension and other positive moves made to improve for success.

I am moving to the lower bowl of Chaifetz which is a lot more expensive but I am happy to contribute more.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Thanks to all that have posted that coach Ford has been taken care of.

If coach Ford gets this team dancing there will be more interest from other schools looking for a young energetic coach.

SLU should tell the world that they are serious about a successful basketball program by announcing a contract extension and other positive moves made to improve for success.

I am moving to the lower bowl of Chaifetz which is a lot more expensive but I am happy to contribute more.

I did this last year, had a seat next to the last row at the top then down much lower. Will try to get even lower this year if one opens up.

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

He'll turn 50 this December 29. Think the Athletic Department can find a way to leverage that to raise visibility and sell tickets?

I was told by someone that would know that the University is in for another round of belt-tightening in regards to staff, budgets, etc.

IF that is true and IF Ford did recently get "taken care of" I'm not sure that's something, they'd want to publicize in advance of a period where other staff will be looking at salary stagnation, job losses, etc. I understand all the argument for why it shouldn't matter to those people, but its a bad optic.

willie and 3star_recruit like this

-the UConn move sucks for us, I was looking through my blue-colored glasses with the thought their football program would keep them from going back to the BEast, no such luck

-but many people have said you make your own luck, we have done that to a limited degree but not nearly enough and i don't know the reasons but the examples of poor decisions have been posted here many, many times

5 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I was told by someone that would know that the University is in for another round of belt-tightening in regards to staff, budgets, etc.

IF that is true and IF Ford did recently get "taken care of" I'm not sure that's something, they'd want to publicize in advance of a period where other staff will be looking at salary stagnation, job losses, etc. I understand all the argument for why it shouldn't matter to those people, but its a bad optic.

I had heard the same, but I was told it was focused on eliminating resources committed to unpopular or outdated degree programs. The athletic department has its own financial backers, and I would be surprised the men's basketball team faced cuts. 

12 minutes ago, davidnark said:

I had heard the same, but I was told it was focused on eliminating resources committed to unpopular or outdated degree programs. The athletic department has its own financial backers, and I would be surprised the men's basketball team faced cuts. 

Exactly. But at the same time there is no need to rub it in the faces of those that lost their jobs by making public announcements about raises or extensions for the basketball coach.

Old guy likes this

50 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Exactly. But at the same time there is no need to rub it in the faces of those that lost their jobs by making public announcements about raises or extensions for the basketball coach.

True enough. Although,  I whole heartedly concur w/ eliminating undesirable degrees and programs. 

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

Which programs are being cut? Or is this not public yet?

Some reported terms of UConn to Big East...$3.5 million entry fee. A whopping $30 million exit fee if they leave within 6 years. $15 million within 9 years. $10 million anything after that. Terms of the deal include UConn is not allowed to play Power 5 conference football. Not sure but it would be likely UConn would earn gradual increasing revenue over time. Also their $15 million AAC exit fee may be going to $12 million and allowed to be paid in installments over time. Some very good Val Ackerman and Big East Conference negotiating in the deal. 

I recognize the fact that I know nothing about the internal comings and goings of Big East. That said, unless Big East is thinking of breaking their basketball only rule and start taking in schools with football programs, this deal makes no sense to me. The little synopsis above by courtside does not mention what happens to all the money earned by UConn for playing in NCAAB games and not yet fully paid to the school by the league. It is really not specific about what happens to UConn's football program, where do they go next and what it will cost them to transfer? To me it sounds like UConn is willing to front significant expenses to do this change (both for basketball and football?), so the question is: how much do they expect to make by joining the Big East for basketball, and or whoever they join with their football program. It may well be that the basketball portion of the deal is quite small compared to the football portion, I just do not know if this is the case. I am not saying anything other than the fact that I do not understand the money flows in this deal other than to say they appear to be pretty significant.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I recognize the fact that I know nothing about the internal comings and goings of Big East. That said, unless Big East is thinking of breaking their basketball only rule and start taking in schools with football programs, this deal makes no sense to me. The little synopsis above by courtside does not mention what happens to all the money earned by UConn for playing in NCAAB games and not yet fully paid to the school by the league. It is really not specific about what happens to UConn's football program, where do they go next and what it will cost them to transfer? To me it sounds like UConn is willing to front significant expenses to do this change (both for basketball and football?), so the question is: how much do they expect to make by joining the Big East for basketball, and or whoever they join with their football program. It may well be that the basketball portion of the deal is quite small compared to the football portion, I just do not know if this is the case. I am not saying anything other than the fact that I do not understand the money flows in this deal other than to say they appear to be pretty significant.

UConn has not announced its football intentions. They will not return to AAC as football only. AAC said no. They are looking for a football home and expect an announcement in the coming weeks. They were tired of being rejected by Power 5 for football. Both the UConn men and women’s (9k avg home attendance) hoops teams have tv and streaming deals with SNY, and, that is expected to continue.

As mentioned above Current Big East tv deal started $500 million about 6 years ago and 6 to go or so. That jumps to $600 million with 12. I do not know if there have been any increases of $ in those terms behind the scenes during the contract. UConn announces their finances annually so that is one longer term way to know their cut as they go. UConn ‘s entry fee is due in full prior league start. It’s clear Big East is waiving football only for specifically UConn, which cannot play in Power 5 league per agreement. And those leagues were specifically named in the agreement. UConn has said it will not drop to FCS/1AA

27 minutes ago, courtside said:

UConn has not announced its football intentions. They will not return to AAC as football only. AAC said no. They are looking for a football home and expect an announcement in the coming weeks. They were tired of being rejected by Power 5 for football. Both the UConn men and women’s (9k avg home attendance) hoops teams have tv and streaming deals with SNY, and, that is expected to continue.

As mentioned above Current Big East tv deal started $500 million about 6 years ago and 6 to go or so. That jumps to $600 million with 12. I do not know if there have been any increases of $ in those terms behind the scenes during the contract. UConn announces their finances annually so that is one longer term way to know their cut as they go. UConn ‘s entry fee is due in full prior league start. It’s clear Big East is waiving football only for specifically UConn, which cannot play in Power 5 league per agreement. And those leagues were specifically named in the agreement. UConn has said it will not drop to FCS/1AA

One thing to consider that UConn seems to not have is that the AAC may end up a higher rated BB conference than the Beast. Memphis, Houston, UC, UCF, WSU are all very good these days. 

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

One thing to consider that UConn seems to not have is that the AAC may end up a higher rated BB conference than the Beast. Memphis, Houston, UC, UCF, WSU are all very good these days. 

Multiple things. The AAC tv deal does not allow UConn to continue tv/streaming its men’s and women’s hoops games with SNY. Fox/Big East allows that. That’s a big deal to them. They also prefer to recruit a lot in the Northeast. And, UConn women’s hoops wants out of AAC. There is also a sense of instability in that many teams are in AAC because they had nowhere else to go. Big East has been top 5 or better league annually. 

Courtside, you obviously know a lot of detail about this issue. For me, and trying to translate the various issues mentioned by you into dollars and cents, I still do not see justification for the cash flow necessary to accomplish what they are trying to do. True, their wome's BB team may be upset with AAC, and there are issues that are going against the grain between AAC and UConn regaridng streaming, football, etc... As far as the Big East TV contract goes, there is absolutely nothing that would indicate UConn would receive a portion of the fees equal to the older members' portions. This deal makes no sense to me.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Courtside, you obviously know a lot of detail about this issue. For me, and trying to translate the various issues mentioned by you into dollars and cents, I still do not see justification for the cash flow necessary to accomplish what they are trying to do. True, their wome's BB team may be upset with AAC, and there are issues that are going against the grain between AAC and UConn regaridng streaming, football, etc... As far as the Big East TV contract goes, there is absolutely nothing that would indicate UConn would receive a portion of the fees equal to the older members' portions. This deal makes no sense to me.

Even AAC FB is an expensive proposition. But they say they are going to remain at that level, but as an independent. They ain't ND and can't imagine what national network would shell out dollar one for their broadcast rights. So that means they lose the $7 mil from AAC for FB. It would be nice to see their financial analysis for this move. 

Old guy likes this