Big East

kshoe

1 hour ago, Bonner89 said:

Well then turn into a hockey rink and elevate the program to D1 because they sure as S--t will live in basketball hell.

2. Santos, Henriquez, CAG, and Lewis II. Hell, go all the way back to Willie Reed and Craig Upchurch.

You named 6 players over a 33 year period.   You are no doubt an idiot

7 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

I dont think any P5 Conference will ever invite an AAC school.  If it wasn't for geography I think the Big 12 would have invited UConn.  The Big 12's mistake was not inviting Pitt and Louisville when they had the chance.  Instead they made an easy fix with TCU which has been a disaster.  

Big 12 ......looks like we are headed to a kansas discussion.   Lock the thread.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointing news. That probably kills our chances of getting in the Big East anytime soon.

And snce it looks like we are going to be in the A10 for a long time I'd like to see the conference expand to 16 with some closer schools.  Something like Loyola and either Belmont or Bradley would be nice additions.

Could have four divisions, play each team in your division twice and everyone else once for an 18 game schedule. Playing Dayton, Loyola, and either Bradley or Belmont twice each year could be fun and provide some good match ups.

4 minutes ago, STLfan said:

Disappointing news. That probably kills our chances of getting in the Big East anytime soon.

And snce it looks like we are going to be in the A10 for a long time I'd like to see the conference expand to 16 with some closer schools.  Something like Loyola and either Belmont or Bradley would be nice additions.

Could have four divisions, play each team in your division twice and everyone else once for an 18 game schedule. Playing Dayton, Loyola, and either Bradley or Belmont twice each year could be fun and provide some good match ups.

The A10 should.Not.expand. Until it gets rid of the bottom feeders 

8 hours ago, Bonner89 said:

Well then turn into a hockey rink and elevate the program to D1 because they sure as S--t will live in basketball hell.

2. Santos, Henriquez, CAG, and Lewis II. Hell, go all the way back to Willie Reed and Craig Upchurch.

The venue can probably just book more dates was my point.  Without going through each name there were issues that the school had no control over for some of them short of just paying people off.  I will give you Upchurch and the Lewis issue had nothing to do with SLU.  I would suggest that you find some other hobby since obviously following SLU men's basketball program is something you can't handle.

rgbilliken likes this

18 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

The reported exit fee for UConn is $10 mill. Supposed to give 27 months notice but that won’t happen. 

The exit fee of $10 M is on top of the loss of all money earned in tournament play and still not paid to them by the league. I have no idea how much these earnings not yet paid amount to. Finally, do you know if the exit fee applies for an exit after the 27 month notice period, or if this is the amount to be charged for an immediate exit. The point here is that it will cost UConn a lot of money to leave their current league.

I cant take issue with the Big East taking Ucon over us, given the history  and rivalries.The ones that hurt were Butler and Creighton.  We had advantages over both schools, but what hurt was our lack of consistant winning. Our administration's were not committed early enough for us beat out those schools.  I like our current direction and coach Ford.  These confereces will keep changing and the best thing we can do is win, so we are in a strong position for the next opportunity.  There is also something to be said for being a dominant team in the A10, vs struggling in a stronger conference. Consistant winning will also improve the fan base.

6 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I cant take issue with the Big East taking Ucon over us, given the history  and rivalries.The ones that hurt were Butler and Creighton.  We had advantages over both schools, but what hurt was our lack of consistant winning. Our administration's were not committed early enough for us beat out those schools.  I like our current direction and coach Ford.  These confereces will keep changing and the best thing we can do is win, so we are in a strong position for the next opportunity.  There is also something to be said for being a dominant team in the A10, vs struggling in a stronger conference. Consistant winning will also improve the fan base.

Not sure that we were ever all that seriously being looked at.  If they had not taken Creighton or Butler then there was no assurance that we would have been tapped.  We really don't know what our status was.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

The exit fee of $10 M is on top of the loss of all money earned in tournament play and still not paid to them by the league. I have no idea how much these earnings not yet paid amount to. Finally, do you know if the exit fee applies for an exit after the 27 month notice period, or if this is the amount to be charged for an immediate exit. The point here is that it will cost UConn a lot of money to leave their current league.

I simply copied something from an article I saw. 

The AAC exit fee is $10 million, and schools are required to give 27 months notice before departing the league, a source said. Clearly, there will be negotiations ahead about the price tag.

2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

It works well for Gonzaga and St Mary's. Nothing wrong with being the big fish in the little pond, but you have to do it year in and year out. 

rgbilliken likes this

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Not sure that we were ever all that seriously being looked at.  If they had not taken Creighton or Butler then there was no assurance that we would have been tapped.  We really don't know what our status was.

I seem to recall our status was a strong dislike for Biondi by his fellow Catholic U presidents. The real problem was no one had the vision that once the feeding frenzy started on Beast FB schools we weren't doing enough lobbying to get invited. 

The Biondi story had traction on this board but I don’t believe any of us know if it’s true. I do believe that AD tried his hardest to have us included. The reality was Butler and Creighton had better programs. 

Simply put: This is either the best thing in the world or the worst thing in the world. 

The worst thing in the world: If the rumors are true that the Big East wants to remain at 11 then we are f***ed for life. A10 forever. 

The best thing in the world: If the Big East (or Fox) says that there has to be a 12th team. You could then have a 22 game conference schedule, which is the trend that the B1G and the ACC are heading towards. There is not logical or rational reason that the 12th team would be anyone but SLU. No way that X is letting Dayton in. 

I believe that my bias towards the situation is making me imagine their is a possibility at the latter scenario when truly only the first exists. Our mismanagement of the situation has finally come to kill us. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

The Biondi story had traction on this board but I don’t believe any of us know if it’s true. I do believe that AD tried his hardest to have us included. The reality was Butler and Creighton had better programs. 

Butler because of the two final 4's. Creighton not so sure.  We were coming off our first NCAA trip under Rick. It was clear he had the program headed for success. Creighton got it over us because of their President's close relationship w/Marquette. 

TaLBErt likes this

23 hours ago, Westy03 said:

SLU needs to figure out how to consistently win in the A-10 before we can even dream of getting into the Big East.  

Well said. 

X, Gonzaga, Butler ... all made a name for themselves by winning in a lesser conference and making the Tournament most every year. These programs were each in 1 bid conferences. 

Now, I get that the landscape has changed. I get the 20-22 game conference games of the P5.  Still, there are alot of really good programs who are not P5   The non- P5 programs need to adjust and get smarter. Maybe we play P5 schools only in tournaments but we schedule home and home w St Marys, Long Beach State, etc instead of trying to play Mizzou, Marquette, etc.  Maybe we pool and rank games w teams from the WCC for a combined post season tournament  2 (maybe 3) spots up for grabs   Maybe get 4 conferences and put all 4 spots up for grabs   While battling, the odds of the 5th and 6th best teams who do not win a spot could help persuade them over the also ran P5 teams with the big “name”  but .500 record.  

No.  Simply upgrading conference foes (Big East) may make it tougher to be a Tournament team. Do we want to DePaul? Northwestern?   

1 hour ago, willie said:

I know for a fact that Biondi was not well liked by his peers.  I was told this by a friend who was one of his peers so as far as I am concerned it has a lot of traction.