Big East

kshoe

21 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

Maybe, but probably not.

I appreciate your positive thinking but nowhere has anyone suggested they are going to 12 teams. It’s uconn to 11, round robin play for 20 games and that’s it.

Slu, and basically all others that would like to join, simply don’t have enough cache at this point to make them move off their ideal number of 11.

3star_recruit likes this

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I appreciate your positive thinking but nowhere has anyone suggested they are going to 12 teams. It’s uconn to 11, round robin play for 20 games and that’s it.

Slu, and basically all others that would like to join, simply don’t have enough cache at this point to make them move off their ideal number of 11.

If DePaul wasn't in Chicago, they never would have received an invitation in the first place.  St. Louis isn't nearly as big a market, we're not a top 3 team in our conference and as fans, we don't travel well. From a business standpoint, adding us to the Big East makes zero sense. Especially now that UConn is returning to the party.

SLU can become relevant on the national stage.  We just need to take VCU's spot in this conference.  We've got the coach.  It's a matter of execution.

The right move now would be for six or seven teams each from the A10 and the WCC to form a conference.  In sports outside of basketball create divisions were teams only play their former conference members until the conference tournament to control travel cost.

Members of both conferences need to find a way to remain in a relevant basketball conference and obtain a national profile going up against the Beast, Mountain West and AAC in a group just outside the Power 5.

14 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

I wouldnt be surprised if VCU bolted to the AAC.  This is not shaping up well for us, what crews did to the program after those tournament years was a real death punch and situation II was just icing on the cake.  

Yeah the AAC could add VCU as a nice fit, probably even better than the Wichita State fit. 

That leaves SLU in an even more weakened A10 losing another premier program. In my opinion it would behoove SLU and Dayton to try to get together and figure out a better situation. I don’t know what that would be.

1 minute ago, Bonner89 said:

But Creighton is ? El Oh El

Anyway, screw the BE. We'll just make due with what we have.

Creighton had won 22 games or more in 7 of the previous 8 seasons when they were invited. They sell out their building and their fans travel well.  They were a proven commodity.

And don't forget that Doug McDermott was stringing together first-team All-American campaigns at the time. The stars really aligned for them.

rgbilliken likes this

6 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Yeah the AAC could add VCU as a nice fit, probably even better than the Wichita State fit. 

That leaves SLU in an even more weakened A10 losing another premier program. In my opinion it would behoove SLU and Dayton to try to get together and figure out a better situation. I don’t know what that would be.

Rhode Island might be a target, too.  They might want to add a northeastern program so Temple isn’t as isolated.

15 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

The key is what happens with Houston, Memphis and Cincy in the AAC.  They are the linchpins in the conference, and it's common knowledge that all three will bail at the first P5 invite.  The Big 12 has 10 schools, and will they follow the Big East lead to go to a 20 game conference round robin and add one or two?  Take one, two or three of these teams out of the AAC, and you don't have much left.

I'd think any prospective AAC member would want some very solid and specific information on future conference plans before joining.  But then again, the three could/would all say, we are definitely, 100% staying in the AAC, yet who would believe them?

13 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

The better situation is winning 27 games a year, selling out the Chaifetz and breaking through to the Sweet 16.  We can do that in the conference we're already in.

Just now, HoosierPal said:

The key is what happens with Houston, Memphis and Cincy in the AAC.  They are the linchpins in the conference, and it's common knowledge that all three will bail at the first P5 invite.  The Big 12 has 10 schools, and will they follow the Big East lead to go to a 20 game conference round robin?  Take one, two or three of these teams out of the AAC, and you don't have much left.

I'd think any prospective AAC member would want some very solid and specific information on future conference plans before joining.  But then again, the three could/would all say, we are definitely, 100% staying in the AAC, yet who would believe them?

Good point, but I think Houston and UCF are the two biggest targets for a P5 program then Cincinnati then Memphis.

A few random thoughts on UCONN to the BE:

A strange "fit" from a number of viewpoints in that they are just the second Non-Catholic school ; the first non-private, state school; the first school with a D-1 Football program and a 3rd NE  program which adds nothing from a media standpoint-the league already has the New England media market covered with St. Johns and Providence.  The league continues to leave some of it's members out in a midwest neverland.  (Creighton/DePaul/Marquette/Butler and to some degree, Xavier).  Why would they not want to add a significant media market in what is clearly an outstanding sports town?

UCONN's MBB program is a shell of what it used to be.  It likely will finish at the bottom of the league next year or the year after, whenever this move occurs.  The school has only one revenue marquis program-WBB and over the past few years this Board has pretty much agreed that we need to get our MBB program up to the level of most of the BE schools (I think we might be there now, certainly I think we are much better than UCONN).  Maybe the quality of our MBB is not actually  that important to the BE!

If this addition does take place, w/o adding a midwest school, then you have to wonder what the BE Presidents are thinking.  Is it just a money grab?  Would UCONN pay more than SLU?  I have read about the benefits of a 11 school league, but I think adding both an eastern and a midwestern school makes just as much sense and certainly benefits the midwestern schools and also, to a lesser degree, the eastern schools.  Sports like Field Hockey, Men's and Women's soccer and WBB could lessen their travel budgets by only going to DePaul (for example) every other year instead of every year.

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Good point, but I think Houston and UCF are the two biggest targets for a P5 program then Cincinnati then Memphis.

Yes, football will drive any expansion in the P5.  I read a while back that the Big 12 Texas schools weren't enamored with adding another Texas school.  Who knows?

The AAC currently has 13 for football and 12 for basketball.  They really don't need to add anything for football, and maybe they like the 11 team, round robin basketball concept.  But for sure, assuming the UConn rumor comes true, this isn't the only move that will happen in the next 5 years.  Strap in for another ride. 

brianstl likes this

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Creighton had won 22 games or more in 7 of the previous 8 seasons when they were invited. They sell out their building and their fans travel well.  They were a proven commodity.

And don't forget that Doug McDermott was stringing together first-team All-American campaigns at the time. The stars really aligned for them.

See my post a few minutes ago.  Bringing in UCONN makes it clear that the quality of MBB is NOT a critical factor to the BE Presidents.  Their MBB program sucks and has for a few years with no improvement insight.

27 minutes ago, bauman said:

A few random thoughts on UCONN to the BE:

A strange "fit" from a number of viewpoints in that they are just the second Non-Catholic school ; the first non-private, state school; the first school with a D-1 Football program and a 3rd NE  program which adds nothing from a media standpoint-the league already has the New England media market covered with St. Johns and Providence.  The league continues to leave some of it's members out in a midwest neverland.  (Creighton/DePaul/Marquette/Butler and to some degree, Xavier).  Why would they not want to add a significant media market in what is clearly an outstanding sports town?

UCONN's MBB program is a shell of what it used to be.  It likely will finish at the bottom of the league next year or the year after, whenever this move occurs.  The school has only one revenue marquis program-WBB and over the past few years this Board has pretty much agreed that we need to get our MBB program up to the level of most of the BE schools (I think we might be there now, certainly I think we are much better than UCONN).  Maybe the quality of our MBB is not actually  that important to the BE!

If this addition does take place, w/o adding a midwest school, then you have to wonder what the BE Presidents are thinking.  Is it just a money grab?  Would UCONN pay more than SLU?  I have read about the benefits of a 11 school league, but I think adding both an eastern and a midwestern school makes just as much sense and certainly benefits the midwestern schools and also, to a lesser degree, the eastern schools.  Sports like Field Hockey, Men's and Women's soccer and WBB could lessen their travel budgets by only going to DePaul (for example) every other year instead of every year.

This can’t be serious. 4 National titles plus previous conference membership and natural rivalries makes UConn a total no-brainer. Danny Hurley will have them dancing in short order.

majerus mojo likes this

2 hours ago, bauman said:

See my post a few minutes ago.  Bringing in UCONN makes it clear that the quality of MBB is NOT a critical factor to the BE Presidents.  Their MBB program sucks and has for a few years with no improvement insight.

UConn already has a national profile, even with their struggles the last 3 years. They would have to struggle for a lot longer than that for that profile to go away. 

This is business. If we're not adding a huge market or basketball success or throngs of fans or name recognition then what are we adding to the mix?

43 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The better situation is winning 27 games a year, selling out the Chaifetz and breaking through to the Sweet 16.  We can do that in the conference we're already in.

You're in denial. They can't keep their talented players on the roster, so what makes you think they can accomplish all of this ? Chaifetz Arena will turn out to be a waste of money.

2 minutes ago, Bonner89 said:

You're in denial. They can't keep their talented players on the roster, so what makes you think they can accomplish all of this ? Chaifetz Arena will turn out to be a waste of money.

Chaifetz was not built only for basketball.  As a venue it is very well used.  What top players are we not keeping?

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Chaifetz was not built only for basketball.  As a venue it is very well used.  What top players are we not keeping?

Well then turn into a hockey rink and elevate the program to D1 because they sure as S--t will live in basketball hell.

2. Santos, Henriquez, CAG, and Lewis II. Hell, go all the way back to Willie Reed and Craig Upchurch.

My guess the AAC will look at Army( as already suggested), UMass or Southern Miss...football

I dont think any P5 Conference will ever invite an AAC school.  If it wasn't for geography I think the Big 12 would have invited UConn.  The Big 12's mistake was not inviting Pitt and Louisville when they had the chance.  Instead they made an easy fix with TCU which has been a disaster.