GDT - Turning Davidson into Mildcats

Johnson 4-7 FG, 1-2 3pointers, 4 rebounds 1 assist, zero turnovers.

Moore 1-3 FG, 3-3 FT, 1 turnover

Welmer 2-4 FG 2-3 3 pointers, 5 rebounds 1 assist, 1 steal zero turnovers.

Gillman 0-0 FG, FT, 3 pointers, 0 rebounds 2 turnovers 1 foul.

Neufeld 0-0 FG, FT, 3 pointers 0 rebounds 1 turnover 1 foul.

I respectfully disagree the Gillman Neufeld had equally the same performance as Johnson, Moor, Welmer.

Welmer and Johnson positively contributed.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We lost as we knew we would BUT I thought we played better and more like a team in this game than we have in some of the prior games. Lost by 11 pts which is below the spread, first time we have done that after a long stretch of bad losses. We managed not to lose steam in the second half. Overall I was happy with what I saw. It gives me hope we will have a couple, maybe more wins for the rest of the year. Congratulations to the team for the effort they made today.

31 minutes ago, Old guy said:

We lost as we knew we would BUT I thought we played better and more like a team in this game than we have in some of the prior games. Lost by 11 pts which is below the spread, first time we have done that after a long stretch of bad losses. We managed not to lose steam in the second half. Overall I was happy with what I saw. It gives me hope we will have a couple, maybe more wins for the rest of the year. Congratulations to the team for the effort they made today.

Effort was there but don't get over excited...the athleticism of Davidson is a better match up for us versus the rest of the A 10..look at last year's result against Davidson. We also will not shoot 3's like that at most games..

Not getting exited billiekenblue, but I have been starved for any signs of improvement, as minor as they may be. This game provided some signs of improvement, why should I not be happy about it? Yes, sure we are not going to go straight up in the rankings or anything like it, we will probably stay at the bottom, but heck we played better today and I was happy to see it. Why not? When you have nothing positive coming your way, something minor like a simple smile can make a world of difference.

6 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Not getting exited billiekenblue, but I have been starved for any signs of improvement, as minor as they may be. This game provided some signs of improvement, why should I not be happy about it? Yes, sure we are not going to go straight up in the rankings or anything like it, we will probably stay at the bottom, but heck we played better today and I was happy to see it. Why not? When you have nothing positive coming your way, something minor like a simple smile can make a world of difference.

I agree old guy and seeing improved play from the freshman is a good thing.

Only 1 turnover between the 3.

We have suffered with miserable basketball at times this season and it is nice to see some good things.

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

We have suffered with miserable basketball at times this season and it is nice to see some good things.

We have suffered thru 2.5 seasons of horrible basketball. Not Ford's fault for this year. We just haven't had players since Rick's boys graduated. Help is on the way. Here's hoping Goodwin's injury is minor and requires no surgery.

First of all no high school is going to pay for any surgery for any player injured.  The student is suppose to have their own insurance to cover injuries.  Schools usually require some proof of insurance and or they offer some type of insurance from a company - the policy is only for the season of the sport and it usually has a high deductible to make the parent pay for minor injuries.  Now shoulder surgery would not be minor but it probably still would require a high deductible out of pocket.

If Goodwin's coach is going to take the right approach and hold the kid out or encourage surgery if needed then good for him.  

SLU may not be able to cover the surgery under NCAA rules but that doesn't mean that something could not be worked out to make the surgery if needed happen and not violate any NCAA rules if he does not have his own insurance.

1 hour ago, kmbilliken said:

I would bet he is insured and that isn't an issue. He says he is going to talk to his parents about when to come back. I'm sure they will do whatever is in his best interest.

That is encouraging - I would hope somebody is talking to Ford and if not he needs to be talking to them which is probably already happening if I had to guess.

4 hours ago, CBFan said:

Lots of nice things to see in black sweats on our bench. Ford is the right man for this moment, that is one thing we can all agree on.

9 hours ago, Zink said:

That was the move that got everyone excited about Reggie coming out of high school! Gotta finish tho

Yep, it was. I've been waiting 4 years for him to do that, then CLANG! Oh well.

Similarly, I waited 4 years for Rob Loe to replicate a play I saw him make for the NZ junior national team. He eventually pulled it off in overtime of his second to last game for SLU.

17 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

They played hard and didn't give up. This was a positive performance for this team. The part of the game I questioned was why play Gilman and Neufeld, let alone at the same time.

-yeah, playing them at the same time doesn't compute for me along with seemingly wanting RA to handle at the top of the key

CB fan:  you misinterpreted my post and/or I posted badly (likely #2).  What I meant by Gillmann and Neufeld being "equally the same" was the same as they have been all this season (really, really bad).  It was not meant in comparison to the other three freshmen but it was a bad way of saying nothing new from these two at all.

12 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Yep, it was. I've been waiting 4 years for him to do that, then CLANG! Oh well.

Similarly, I waited 4 years for Rob Loe to replicate a play I saw him make for the NZ junior national team. He eventually pulled it off in overtime of his second to last game for SLU.

Haha yup, as soon as it happened I had flashes of Loe. Most of our new recruits have more than one super athletic highlight, so hopefully we don't have to wait quite as long for the hype to be fulfilled in the future. 

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

CB fan:  you misinterpreted my post and/or I posted badly (likely #2).  What I meant by Gillmann and Neufeld being "equally the same" was the same as they have been all this season (really, really bad).  It was not meant in comparison to the other three freshmen but it was a bad way of saying nothing new from these two at all.

I misinterpreted, those two were equally bad and have been equally bad all season with no hope for improvement.