The Travis Ford record

The Wiz

Ford has a way of turning programs around...............

Campbellsville (NAIA)

1st year....7-26

2nd year....28-3

E Ky 

1st year....7-19

Last year....22-9.....after 11 years of sub 500 seasons ...1st NCAA appearance in 25 years

UMass

!st year......13-16

2nd year....24-9...13-3 A-10...tied for 1st in conf.....NIT

OSU...no need to turn it around...many years of post season play which continued under Ford

Bottomline...Except for OSU, he has had bad 1st years everywhere 

There is light at the end of the tunnel

Inspiring post Wiz thank you I needed that after yesterdays game.

It is hard getting my head around that the program has sunk so low to being 2 points better than Chicago State.

11 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Ford has a way of turning programs around...............

Campbellsville (NAIA)

1st year....7-26

2nd year....28-3

I think Campbellsville had about 9 more wins that they had to forfeit because of an illegal transfer (who played most games but not all).  So there was improvement but not as dramatic.

Chicago State (as a university) was about a dozen happy meals or so away from not having an operating budget for the entire fiscal year. And we got them on the second night of a back-to-back in which they got beat by Bradley in Peoria on Saturday night. I know this is a throw-away/rebuild year, but we should have beaten them by 40.

I think this is a year that you are going to have to avert your eyes. Ford probably could have re-recruited a couple of the kids that left, kept them here and won 11 or 12 games. Or he could have known that he could recruit over any existing roster player and upgrade the talent if he had scholarships. Honestly, would 11 or 12 wins vs. the 4 to 6 it appears we will win this season have moved the needle? I don't think so. This sucks as a fan but imagine how he must feel when he looks down the bench and sees what the previous regime left us. I guarantee this was all discussed and calculated when he was hired. I don't like what I see on the court and won't for the rest of this season but I put the blame squarely on the previous coaching staff. We have a D2/D3 roster. Look out below when the A10 starts.

I would not presume that the process of hiring a new coach included heavy discussion and calculation on how to rebuild the team and how to handle any remaining players after the exit of the prior coach. I think it is a lot more likely that they concentrated on the coach candidates and their fit into the program rather than anything else. This is not a negative comment directed to Ford, it is a negative comment directed to the administration.

On 12/12/2016 at 8:49 AM, kwyjibo said:

I think Campbellsville had about 9 more wins that they had to forfeit because of an illegal transfer (who played most games but not all).  So there was improvement but not as dramatic.

Calipari, Coach K, Roy Williams, and Pitino are objective evidence that game forfeiture is completely and totally irrelevant. The NCAA is NOT willing to enforce on these programs, so it doesn't matter at all. Just win, baby.

On 12/12/2016 at 9:55 AM, Old guy said:

I would not presume that the process of hiring a new coach included heavy discussion and calculation on how to rebuild the team and how to handle any remaining players after the exit of the prior coach. I think it is a lot more likely that they concentrated on the coach candidates and their fit into the program rather than anything else. This is not a negative comment directed to Ford, it is a negative comment directed to the administration.

Of course it did, Old guy. I doubt Ford understood just how truly bad straits this program is in, but Ford was not recruited because of 'program values'

Ford probably intends to move back to a BCS job once he's shown his recruiting prowess again.

I'm fine with that, the Billikens will be back in the NCAA tournament and the next coach after Ford will likely have a loaded roster to come in to.

Values and all this junk don't matter, AT ALL. Wins matter. Wins and tournament appearances and $$$$$$$$$.

So, you are already calculating on a post Ford Billikens team? Wow, you must be a chess player calculating 5 moves in advance.

And yes, I agree that Ford will take the Bills back to the dance and fairly soon too. I also agree that this will mean a significant amount of money for the Bills depending on the number of seasons he takes us to the dance and how we do once in it. I like this scenario.

18 hours ago, Old guy said:

So, you are already calculating on a post Ford Billikens team? Wow, you must be a chess player calculating 5 moves in advance.

And yes, I agree that Ford will take the Bills back to the dance and fairly soon too. I also agree that this will mean a significant amount of money for the Bills depending on the number of seasons he takes us to the dance and how we do once in it. I like this scenario.

just being realistic.. college basketball coaching is a carousel, guys will move on. What if Kentucky or some similar upper rung program comes calling?

Ford is probably one of the best recruiters in the country. That will get noticed again as it has in the past.

as for your comments about postseason and money.. Hell yes. Same pagr there. I dont believe anyone can turn this around as FAST as Ford can.

ill take four NCAA appearances and moving on by TF right now.. or a membership in the Big East and keep him for longer. Billikens need sustained success. Jim Crews has done so much damage.

23 hours ago, Soderball said:

Of course it did, Old guy. I doubt Ford understood just how truly bad straits this program is in, but Ford was not recruited because of 'program values'

Ford probably intends to move back to a BCS job once he's shown his recruiting prowess again.

I'm fine with that, the Billikens will be back in the NCAA tournament and the next coach after Ford will likely have a loaded roster to come in to.

Values and all this junk don't matter, AT ALL. Wins matter. Wins and tournament appearances and $$$$$$$$$.

I will feel better about coach Ford staying a while once I hear he purchased a home in the St. Louis area.

Coach Ford has children in school and I think if he is going to settle in he would stick around until his children finish school.

In my opinion if coach Ford would not accept all BCS offers and would more likely wait for something he wants before moving again, of course I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

I will feel better about coach Ford staying a while once I hear he purchased a home in the St. Louis area.

Coach Ford has children in school and I think if he is going to settle in he would stick around until his children finish school.

In my opinion if coach Ford would not accept all BCS offers and would more likely wait for something he wants before moving again, of course I could be wrong.

He did purchase a home in St. Louis.  It is in Frontenac, I believe.