Alabama From a Couch in Maryland .....

Taj79

Sorry so late.  Thanksgiving you know.

Not going to beat a dead horse.  Those of you who saw it saw youthful mistakes up and down the court especially in the last two minutes or so.  I've never believed in the prevent defense and we seemed to go into a prevent offense.  The real "senior" moment was Mike stepping out of bounds and you just can't have that from anyone let alone your senior leader.  I didn't think he did but the replay showed he most certainly did.  I can't figure out why he is coming down the court on a fast break and swings out that wide but so he did.  It may or may not have been the game but it was just another in a series of errors that led us to losing a nine-point lead.

The positives:Ford deserves some credit for coaching this bunch up and being competitive for 36 minutes as opposed to 30 the game before.  Roby came back from an off night offensively to find his mojo this game.  Reggie continues to be a warrior on the boards and is delivering more times than not in the paint.  Perfect? Far from it but very good considering where we are without that.

The negatives:  Bishop is going to be wildly inconsistent.  I am surprised as hell we hung as we did without him scoring and without him in the game for the most part with silly fouls.  Although at least one foul was extremely questionable.  The third I think which was offensive supposedly.  The real negative is reality ..... the youth betrayed this team down the stretch.  Bishop with a step-back three after a timeout. Was that the play we took a timeout for?  Johnson with two really bad back-to-back turnovers late.  Why wasn't Moore in there for ballhandling and foul shooting?  Welmer's really bad inbound late but I was really disappointed Bishop turned to yell at him rather than play defense.  This is bound to continue ..... we don't have any valued experience and what we do have is pretty capable of applying losing experience given the past two Crewsplatt years.

Welmer had another off night. Crawford is obviously still hurt or struggling to get healthy.  Bishop was a no show.  Yet we led by nine with two minutes to go.  Alabama should be highly embarrassed.  And i think Ford now knows just how weak his two big men really are.  We learned a lot.  Hurtful lessons but lessons nonetheless.  Going to be a long year.  

I think people on this board need to start adjusting to the fact that this young Billiken team will put it together under TF real soon and will exceed expectations. Not gonna be a cake walk beating these boys going forward. They are maturing fast. 

No one says we have team that is bursting with talent. However, with good coaching, learning, and maturity there is absolutely no reason that we should end this season at the absolute bottom of A10. A realistic goal for the Bills this year is to finish around the lower middle level of the A10.

Coach is seeing that he needs to handle things differently than he has in the past, particularly at OSU.  Coach admitted he needed to do a better job in guiding this team through the final minutes against Bama.  There is no 'go to' scorer on this team.  Who do you want to handle the ball for a last shot?  Well, maybe Reggie, but he ain't bringing it up court.  Last year, like it or not, either Yacoubou or Yarbrough, would bring the ball upcourt and take the final shot.  Today, who do you want to take the final shot or have the rock on the final play?

Our zone defense wasn't good enough to stop Alabama at the end.  Roby and Bishop both converged on the ball handler late in the game, leaving a three point shooter wide open. They either don't understand their assignment, didn't trust each other, or were too late to realize the floor situation.  This isn't a high school zone anymore.  Sitting here now, perhaps if we had been in man the last two minutes, we win the game.  [Monday morning quarterbacking.] 

14 hours ago, Taj79 said:

The real "senior" moment was Mike stepping out of bounds and you just can't have that from anyone let alone your senior leader.  I didn't think he did but the replay showed he most certainly did.  I can't figure out why he is coming down the court on a fast break and swings out that wide but so he did.

My guess is tired legs.

That would be just a good a guess as any but tired legs would not have even run but he did and he added distance given the swing out.  Maybe a better angle?  Still just a smidge too wide.

How good is Samford?

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

That would be just a good a guess as any but tired legs would not have even run but he did and he added distance given the swing out.  Maybe a better angle?  Still just a smidge too wide.

How good is Samford?

They are an OK team  ( C ) ...about the same as Ball St. They will be favored over us in a close game.  Check back on Mon as they have 2 more games to go before they play the Bills.

15 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

But they literally beat Ball State by 20 points.

I had Bama to beat Ball St by 16...the Tide won by 18....which is about right ....Ball State's  win by a large spread over  the Bills was an outlier...should have been a close game but we were off that night. If Ball St = Samford , which I think is correct,  we should have a close game. on Tues.  We have a chance to redeem ourselves for the Ball St. game by playing Samford close or beating them.

Coaching,learning and maturity do not put the ball through the hoop.  From what I've seen around the A10 so far is that the bottom four of 15-16 will be the bottom four of 16-17 ..... us, Mason, Duquesne and La Salle.  Mason does not appear to be any much better but has seemed to own us lately.  La Salle is waiting for their transfers to mesh with Price.  Only Duqesne seems to have regressed from last year as have we through body attrition.  

Crawford has not recovered.  Bishop and Welmer and Roby are inconsistent right now.  Only Agbeko has plussed up but its five games.  Johnson and Moore need to step up.I'll agree that we'll disagree.  Best thing is that it is early and proof awaits.