Billikens.com will be down this weekend

After 6 years (!), I am finally going to update the main Billikens.com site.  To update the site, it will be down / not usable for an extended period of time this weekend.

The site itself will not appear to be very different, but everything under the hood will be.  For those who dabble in web, we will switch from using Drupal to Wordpress.  The biggest change for users will be that the main site will have a mobile version.  The mobile version is not perfect by any means (there are some spacing issue I cannot figure out at the moment), but it is far better than the tiny Billikens.com front page that appears on phones.

You can see a version of what the new site will be like at http://www.stlouisbasketball.com .  There are still some rough edges (and don't hesitate to point these out).  I will fix and smooth out what I can, but my web site design skills are limited by today's standards.  I also need to clean up the stats and scores pages, but I do not want to do this until I transfer the site. 

One comment that has been made to me is that the main page and message board look like distinct web sites.  I very much agree with this, but for now, I would rather not mess with the message board (in fears of making it worse), as this is the main draw to Billikens.com.  Perhaps in the future, I will try to get a more consistent look.  Again, any other feedback appreciated.

For a heads up about the next month, we will likely be switching servers in mid-September (same web host, new server), and after this I will likely hold the first fundraiser for Billikens.com in over four years.  I will post details regarding this closer to.

Thanks for your patience,

Steve

Thank you for everything you do I love the site and I really appreciate it.

44 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Is there a way to go to the latest post when clicking a topic from the home page?

Hmm...That feature may have broke when I did a forum upgrade (not the main site upgrade).  Let me play with it tonight.

13 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Is there a way to go to the latest post when clicking a topic from the home page?

I think I have this fixed now, but let me know if not.  It is very strange that the last forum upgrade seemed to break this.

12 hours ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Steve, Thanks for the update! Looks great. Would you be able to update the Twitter feed to include Coach Ford?

Ford should now be added.  The twitter feed on the main page is just pulling this search string.

(from:studurando)  OR (from:CoachTFord5)  OR (from:SaintLouisMBB)  OR ("SLU" from:Atlantic10BBall)  OR ("SLU" from:Frank_Cusumano) OR ("SLU" from:ESPNLunardi) OR ("SLU" from:ESPNAndyKatz) OR ("SLU" from:hochman) OR ("SLU" from:earlaustinjr)  OR ("SLU" from:miklasz) OR ("SLU" from:FSMidwest) OR ("SLU" from:jppalmCBS) OR ("BILLIKENS" from:Atlantic10BBall) OR ("BILLIKENS" from:Frank_Cusumano) OR ("BILLIKENS" from:hochman) OR ("BILLIKENS" from:earlaustinjr) OR ("BILLIKENS" from:miklasz)

If people think I should modify this string (e.g. add a local reporter instead of jppalmCBS let me know.  I, however, am limited in how many terms I can add.  Mainly, I will need to replace in the above

17 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I click on the home icon and don't see the twitter feed, where is it?

If you are clicking the Home icon on the message board, you will be taken to the main page of the Message Board.

If you go directly to http://www.billikens.com , the twitter feed should be on the bottom half of the page in the center.

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

Was just perusing the roster on the front of the site. I believe Gillmann's name is mispelled. Two L's, two N's, only one i please.

Fixed.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, bonwich said:

Hey, Steve: Any luck figuring out how to drag files and attach them, as prompted at the bottom of new posts? 

Try now.

(I had the change the allocation for how much individuals could upload.  Users are now limited to 10mb total).